corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Diverting sewer pipes

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Diverting sewer pipes
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
4th Oct 11 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In our new house for some reason the water mains goes from the road down the side of our house (end terrace) and across the garden near the house towards the other houses in the terrace.

We are thinking of having a conservatory built, however there are several small, circular inspection covers (which are to do with the mains, not the sewer BTW) and the conservatory would be built right over them.

I have attempted to find out from Severn Trent Water today what we can/can't do but they weren't very helpful so I was wondering whether someone off here might be able to help?

From what I gather from various people we would need to pay for the mains to be redirected, someone gave me a link to a PDF price list of what STW charge but I'm still none the wiser

http://www.stwater.co.uk/upload/pdf/New_connections_charges_2010.pdf

I would imagine we would be pissing a lot of people off because if they need to stop the supply while they divert the pipes, the other houses in our terrace would be without running water

Edit - discovered these are actually sewer pipes not mains water.

[Edited on 04-10-2011 by Sam]
Jake

4th Oct 11 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the only other way would be to have recessed manholes in the conservatory floor. if theyre done properly you will hardly notice them there
Fad

4th Oct 11 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are refering to a water main do you mean a drain run?

Being end of terrace the run will normally be shared between the houses. Are you sure it is only a soak away and not a fowl run?

If it is a rainwater soakaway then you could relocate the manhole but it would be at your cost as the relocation would be soley for your benefit.

Sam could you take some photos of the manholes and any waste/rain pipes I may be able to suss it out for you.

Sam
Premium Member

4th Oct 11 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK looks like I was talking bollocks slightly... When we were buying the house, they (solicitors) said the plans shown from STW were of mains water and inspection holes.

There are 2 that I counted/found in the back garden and one by the side of the house, and they look like a bit like this:

When you open them up they look like this (but only one pipe):

As far as I can make out, one goes to the soil pipe from the bathroom (front of the house), one goes from the kitchen (back of the house) and the third one I found seems to go towards the neighbour's house (not the neighbour in our terrace but another one, a semi detatched house).

Why would STW say in their plans that it is mains water when it's not?

Sorry for the confusion BTW - I never opened those inspection covers until today so I only assumed what was shown on their plans was correct.
Jake

4th Oct 11 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the cost involved in relocating those would outweigh the benefit. just get a couple of double sealed manholes built into the slab. thats what we used to do when building conservatory bases
Sam
Premium Member

4th Oct 11 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So we would essentially have manhole covers in the conservatory?
mattk

4th Oct 11 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do what Jake says. Id move them if it was me but only because I know what Im doing and have most of the materials to hand
mattk

4th Oct 11 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
So we would essentially have manhole covers in the conservatory?

yeah, they are airtight though so you wouldnt get any smells, just limits your flooring options, you would get away with carpet laminate or lino
sc0ott

4th Oct 11 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are rodding eyes. If there is a blockage of some sort then you can stick a long thing down/along there.

Dont think they have anything to do with the main service utilities because theyre on your property. They will connect into a manhole on the main street which will be owned and maintained by a utility company.
Sam
Premium Member

4th Oct 11 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah we'd probably go for ceramic floor tiles TBH as that's what is already in the kitchen.

Would it cost a lot to have them moved?
Sam
Premium Member

4th Oct 11 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
They are rodding eyes. If there is a blockage of some sort then you can stick a long thing down/along there.

Dont think they have anything to do with the main service utilities because theyre on your property. They will connect into a manhole on the main street which will be owned and maintained by a utility company.

Ahh OK, I did wonder who's responsibility they were TBH.
John

4th Oct 11 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sewer pipes and underground means it's instantly thousands.
Jake

4th Oct 11 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there will be a lot of digging out and new drainage plastics which arent cheap an labour on top of that. i know if i were to price that up i would add more because its foul
Sam
Premium Member

4th Oct 11 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck that, double sealed manhole covers it is!
Jake

4th Oct 11 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

double sealeds arent that bad. if you get a decent tiler he will finish it off nicely
pow
Premium Member

4th Oct 11 at 14:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You CAN have them all dug out and diverted, get them replaced with plastic ones... but it's a lot of hassle for no gain tbh
Fad

4th Oct 11 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sam take a photo of the rear of the property as it would may the layout clear. It could be as simple as installing a section and relocating the inspection cover further along providing it is not at the stop/end of the run. If you build over an inspection cover/run you will need to ensure the builder is competant to deal with it as I recently dealt with a case where the builder did not install a lintal to support the wall over the drain run as a consequence it fractured the pipe and raw sewage was leaking into the property. Not nice.

If I were you Sam contact one of your local surveyors and get them to come out and take a look. We usually charge about 150 + VAT to advise on these queries.

I'd dont think I would want a manhole in my conservertory as it limits the flooring you can lay and I would also want to insulate the floor too for winter etc.

[Edited on 04-10-2011 by Fad]
Xs

4th Oct 11 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
Sam take a photo of the rear of the property as it would may the layout clear. It could be as simple as installing a section and relocating the inspection cover further along providing it is not at the stop/end of the run. If you build over an inspection cover/run you will need to ensure the builder is competant to deal with it as I recently dealt with a case where the builder did not install a lintal to support the wall over the drain run as a consequence it fractured the pipe and raw sewage was leaking into the property. Not nice.

If I were you Sam contact one of your local surveyors and get them to come out and take a look. We usually charge about 150 + VAT to advise on these queries.

I'd dont think I would want a manhole in my conservertory as it limits the flooring you can lay and I would also want to insulate the floor too for winter etc.

[Edited on 04-10-2011 by Fad]

Is it a small firm you work for if you would get called out to a job moving one manhole? I wouldnt bother speaking to any surveyors, try find someone who works for a local civils firm and get them to do it
Fad

4th Oct 11 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well its a multi dicipline firm so in this instance its only a consultation at a rate of 1 hour not anything more, remeber it would have to be local also to be worthwhile.

sc0ott

4th Oct 11 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it an old property?
Jake

4th Oct 11 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has anyone in here actually moved on of these before except me
sc0ott

4th Oct 11 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He hasnt commented yet but Andrew replaced his entire soil vent pipe system using a haynes manual for a 1.1 saxo.
mattk

4th Oct 11 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake
has anyone in here actually moved on of these before except me

I do drains about once a month on average, not my favorite jobs, I pick my 3m lengths of underground pipe up for £20, its the fittings that are fucking dear
Sam
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
Is it an old property?

Chris
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 20:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You will have to dig footing any way, so while the spade is out resite the inspection cover, an tell ur neighbours not flush other wise ur garden with covered in sweage.

New Poll