corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Novatel wireless 3352 on Orange

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Novatel wireless 3352 on Orange
Jambo

User status: Offline
2nd Mar 11 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Novatel wireless 3352

Will this work with my xbox?!

I'm not sure how these mifi things make wifi out of 3G. But apparently they do

It says in all my sales data that it will work with portable games consoles so I am guessing pep/ds etc.

But if I was to get one could I usexboxlive with it? Reason being my Internet situation at home is complicated as fuck and this may be the best answer for me??

That's the only device they offer, so must be specific to that
Brett
Premium Member

2nd Mar 11 at 17:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't know anything about those specifically, but if it's using 3G then it'll be shite and IF you managed to actually keep your connection, you'd get owned because your ping would be dire.

Sounds like you could achieve the same thing with a rooted HTC anyway.

TBH you should just get someone who knows what they're doing to sort out your home network

[Edited on 02-03-2011 by loafofbrett]
Jambo

2nd Mar 11 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not that simple Brett, re the home network unfortunately

I am wondering wether the signal is "accelerated" or wether it is a true "wifi" strength signal. would only be for use when the home network is down or I want to use when all other systems are in use. Can't find anywhere that explains it properly though.

The routed desire may do it but supports just 1 device? I'd also like to use my iPhone and gfs iPhone on it too if I had it. Plus I have a phone and device cost to me wouldn't be much
Brett
Premium Member

2nd Mar 11 at 17:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I remember your threads from the past. I don't recall you ever having a 3rd party take a look themselves tho, only you following advice.

The wifi strength will undoubtedly be great (xbox > novatel) but the 3G strength will only be as good as it can in your area (novatel > 3G internet). Unless they're some new radical thing I'm not sure on. It just looks like a 3G dongle that can have several wireless devices to me tho.

In my past experience of trying with a 3G dongle it's very poor mate. It will connect to live, but it'll drop out and be slow, etc.
Jambo

2nd Mar 11 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's managed by an IT support company dude, recent connection issues are down to BT and our setup.

This is what I was thinking, so essentially this device is simply making the 3G signal wirelessly available? Unless it alters it in some way? I.e the signal is amplified?!

Because as you say 3G will MAX do 1.5meg and add a wireless loss on there and I can imagine at 7mbps it will be shite. If however it amplifies it I'll sign up tommorow
Brett
Premium Member

2nd Mar 11 at 17:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
It's managed by an IT support company dude

Ah right. Well, I'll say no more on that as I'm sure you've covered that ground a million times

John

2nd Mar 11 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't do anything fancy with the signal, just does the same as a phone with a wifi hotspot as brett says.

It's not the download speed thats the problem, it's the latency for gaming.
Jambo

2nd Mar 11 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks John
Doug

2nd Mar 11 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For the cost of one of those MiFi boxes and the line rental surely you could just get your own phone line installed and get o2 broadband or something?

I do miss the call of duty days
Jambo

3rd Mar 11 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We already have about 4 Phone lines I think don't wanna complicate matters tbh!

I too miss the cod days

New Poll