corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Fixed one problem with my laptop...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fixed one problem with my laptop...
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Jun 09 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For ages my laptop (HP G6000) was running really hot - so hot I couldn't even use the touchpad, the fan would be running at full whack all the time and I couldn't really use the laptop on my lap (LOL) it was that hot, one of those cooling mats didn't help much either.

This morning I stripped the entire laptop down, removed the heatsink/fan assembly and cleaned all the dust and crap off it. While I was at it I applied some thermal paste to the CPU and GPU.

It's now running at a healthier 42 degrees Celsius and has done for the past hour, the fan speed is slow, and I am happier that my laptop doesn't sound like it's going to take off any more and I can actually use the laptop on my lap without fear of melting my balls!

Think I need to buy a new heatsink/fan assembly at some point though as the bearing(s) in it sound like they are on their way out.

Wireless still doesn't work though might buy a new WLAN mini PCI card and see if that sorts it, if not it looks like it might be new motherboard time going by threads on computer forums about the exact same Wireless problem! Bloody HP!

So anyways the point of this thread is, if your laptop is running at nearly 100 degrees Celsius, fan is working overtime and your laptop feels like it's about to melt, clean the dust and crap off your fan assembly!

[Edited on 10-06-2009 by Sam]
sand-eel

10th Jun 09 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how do you get to the hidden menu to see what temp its running at, I'm sure i've seen it before.
Sam
Premium Member

10th Jun 09 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hidden menu?

I just use SpeedFan ( http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php ).
Sam
Premium Member

6th Aug 09 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK quick update re. my wireless problem for anyone that has a HP G6000 or similar model laptop - the problem seems to be power related I think!

If I turn the laptop on with the AC adapter plugged in, the wireless doesn't work and the wireless LED is always orange.

If I turn the laptop on running off the battery only the wireless DOES work and the wireless LED is blue!

From looking at reports of owners of this and other HP models with dodgy wireless, this seems to be a common problem which HP are refusing to accept responsibility for.

I don't know if I am talking shit and maybe it's a device driver issue, but all I know is for it to work I had to turn on the laptop only when it's running off battery (and then plug in the AC adapter once Windows has loaded).
DaveyLC

6th Aug 09 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Compaq used to over heat when it got dusty inside, I used to just put the vacuum cleaner up to the vents and suck all the dust out, it would be fine for a few months then
DaveyLC

6th Aug 09 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As for the wireless just get another card.. easy job to swap out the internal WIFI cards, its only a minipci jobby.
Sam
Premium Member

6th Aug 09 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It wasn't really dusty inside when I stripped it down, it just seemed that those crappy thermal pads didn't work properly so I just removed them and used proper thermal grease instead, and it's not overheated since.

Not sure getting a replacement wireless card would sort the problem out, a lot of people with the same problem have been told by HP that they need to replace the whole motherboard as it's faulty.

The thing is the wireless card does work but only if I turn the laptop on while running it on battery, so I think the problem may be as HP says, in that it's a faulty motherboard.
Andrew

6th Aug 09 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not worth just throwing it on eBay Sam and buying a new one? If it's used for your business then i'm sure you can claim some of the money back.

Sounds like it's the motherboard to me though.

New Poll