corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » People that rent - does the house ever feel like a home?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author People that rent - does the house ever feel like a home?
Ben D

User status: Offline
2nd Mar 11 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not bothered reading all the replies, but as far as renting goes why not try and get a council house? i have a council flat which admittedly i don't use in Exeter costs me £65 a week but you have alot more rights as a tenant and more security than you would with a private LET, and once you have proved to be a decent tenant after the initial 6-12months the place is pretty much yours for aslong as you want it.
AndyKent

2nd Mar 11 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have a council flat in exeter and live in Manchester?
Ben D

2nd Mar 11 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, I am from Manchester, Have a Flat in Exeter, but i just got a short term lease on an apartment in Swindon for a couple of months as it is more convenient for me, but i will eventually be residing in Exeter full time.

[Edited on 02-03-2011 by Ben D]
John

2nd Mar 11 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting a council house means living in a council house though.
Ben D

2nd Mar 11 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

Suppose it depends on how much of a snob you are then doesn't it?
Chris
Premium Member

2nd Mar 11 at 20:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Main problem with renting is the 6months renewal, as you can never plan to be there in 18months.

Happend to me twice, good news though the 2nd place was a new build and the owner lost 35k in 12 months, so my rent was kinda a saving over losing 35k on the same house if i had bought.
Ian W

2nd Mar 11 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris
Main problem with renting is the 6months renewal, as you can never plan to be there in 18months.

Happend to me twice, good news though the 2nd place was a new build and the owner lost 35k in 12 months, so my rent was kinda a saving over losing 35k on the same house if i had bought.

I sign 12 month leases
ed

3rd Mar 11 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can sign for as long as you like, so long as it's over 6 months.
ed

3rd Mar 11 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben D
quote:

Suppose it depends on how much of a snob you are then doesn't it?

It's bad enough living in a block of flats with people who pay their own rent, let alone people who don't have any stake in the place they live in. I imagine a lot of shitting on ones own doorstep occurs.
Jules S
Premium Member

5th Mar 11 at 00:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Owners can be bigger wankers than tenants though.

And if you rent near a bastard neighbour you only have to put up with them short term...
jacko198

12th Mar 11 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is, people saying its a waste of money, when you are 22, what other choice do you have. Im pretty sure there is no chance of getting a £150,000 mortgage at my age, so the only option i would have is to rent right?
Ben G

12th Mar 11 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm 22 and have a mortgage. my missus is 20.

yes they think you're a dreamer when you walk in and think you can't afford it, but their faces when i showed them my wage slip was priceless.

pre-judging twats
jacko198

13th Mar 11 at 01:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair enough!

For me im not earning enough at the moment to get one. The only way i can earn more is to move out and go somewhere else so i will 100% have to rent! Atleast for a while!
Xs

14th Mar 11 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

yes they think you're a dreamer when you walk in and think you can't afford it, but their faces when i showed them my wage slip was priceless.

pre-judging twats

Doubt that was really the case unless you are a professional footballer or something tbh.

Circumstances dictate a house purchase imo, are you going to be wanting to be staying in that area for a long time? I don't know where I will end up working career wise in the next few years so don't want to commit to buying a property and then having that to worry about should I need to relocate.
Ben G

14th Mar 11 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Xs
quote:

pre-judging twats

Doubt that was really the case unless you are a professional footballer or something tbh.

ok i was in the room with the mortgage advisor, you weren't. they kept putting me down saying things like ''are you sure you can afford to move out right now?'' and other silly remarks, not realising a 21 year old can actually have a good wage and doesn't just work at mcdonalds at weekends.
Toby
Premium Member

14th Mar 11 at 13:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Xs
quote:

pre-judging twats

ok i was in the room with the mortgage advisor, you weren't. they kept putting me down saying things like ''are you sure you can afford to move out right now?'' and other silly remarks, not realising a 21 year old can actually have a good wage and doesn't just work at mcdonalds at weekends.

Im also 22 and have a mortgage so its not always the case that you need to play football.

as per OP My ex missues said it never felt like our home and we owed it so not that it helps but gives you the idea in the two years we lived there it never 'hit the spot' for her so guess even buying it you can have the same effect.

quote:
Originally posted by Jules S
Owners can be bigger wankers than tenants though.

Also im about to become a landlord again in next couple of weeks and im not a wanker
Xs

14th Mar 11 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
Im also 22 and have a mortgage so its not always the case that you need to play football.

That wasnt my point, it was the point about them seeing his wage slip. Its not hard to get a mortgage, its saving the deposit thats the most difficult part for most now that 100% mortgages are not really available.
ed

15th Mar 11 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're meant to ask you if you can afford it, I'm sure if a 40 year old went in asking for something that might stretch them they'd ask the same. But I guess it makes you look like less of a big man when you realise that the broker/banker is just doing their job.
Mertin

20th Mar 11 at 00:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your renting a home your putting out say £500+ for rent and bills. If you stayed at home a bit longer that £500+ you dont have to pay up each month could go towards a deposit and anymore you save. Dont try and grow up too fast, if your parents are happy with you still staying at home and you are then stay as long as you can and save up, im sure it'll be worth it in the long run. A few of my mates have just got houses at 21 and some say it was a big mistake with how costly it has been and they shouldve stayed at home longer
Colin

20th Mar 11 at 01:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres pro's & cons for renting as per everything!!

A house along from my parents was up for sale a while back for 360k.....didnt sell. Next up there advertising it for long term rental for 850 a month!!

Now I know for me to buy that on the terms i'm under now i'd be around £1600 a month to buy that!! So taking the differential between buying & renting there would give 9k a year to bank/invest instead of "paying a mortgage". I cant see the value of this house increasing by 2.5% year on year in the current climate. In fact it could very easilly go backwards for a bit....who knows I wouldnt want to take a gamble!!!

If you decided thats the house you want then renting is clearly the way forward!!

This place here -

I would have been interested if it wasnt 2 doors away from my parents place

Renting can have its advantages, plus when something breaks its someone elses drama!!
Ian W

20th Mar 11 at 01:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I have no real appliances that are not covered by my landlord, fridge freezer, washer dryer, oven etc are all covered for me.

I have no problem renting, it doesn't suit everyone but then again neither does buying somewhere.

Don't assume that your best option is to buy just because its kind of drummed into you by the internet / past generations
Cole

20th Mar 11 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

fuck all wrong with living in a council house ive lived in them 4 30yrs 1 for 25 yrs and then moved in next door for the last 5 yrs good thing is it s a 3 bed with good garden both thr same size front and rear 3 beds 2 baths brand new kitchen fitted by council that we got to decide colours and design etc i can do what i want to it decorate ia m even in the process of knocking the brick shed on the back of my house into a games room lol and all for £325 and i livre ina good area houses across the rd are £200-300k+

so the stigma of a council house means fuck all

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll