corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Renting out a room/getting a lodger

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Renting out a room/getting a lodger
corb

User status: Offline
7th Nov 07 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who's done it? A random like. All my mates pretty much have their own places so I'm struggling to find someone to move in. I dont want to end up with some weirdo living in my house, but need to sort something fairly soon, thought I'd see what other people have done???......
Dean_W

7th Nov 07 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I done it a couple of months ago.

Put an ad in the paper and a 19 year old lad said he'd take it. He's a nice lad, pays on time, keeps all his stuff like bathroom stuff and washing powder in his room. Get on with him alrite. He's hardly ever in. He asked for sky upstairs, so were doing that.

No problem so far what so ever. He's been here for quite a while. His mrs stays over on a saturday, which i don't mind coz i usually go out and get in between 2-5.

Couple of things piss me off, he'll leave his washing in the washer for days, i just take it out and dump it in his room. He is a bit noisy when he gets up at 7, but that's not too bad.
dannymccann

7th Nov 07 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i live with 2 of my mates, before this arrangement i lived apart from them. one of them im moving in with next year and the other one if i lived with him anymore i think i would kill him. so its a gamble with friends same as with the ad in the paper, no way u can do it on ur own, or maybe with a partner (if possible? )
Colin

7th Nov 07 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a burd moved in instead, get her to pay half & do your washing/ironing/cooking Result
Tom

7th Nov 07 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Get a burd moved in instead, get her to pay half & do your washing/ironing/cooking Result

And then pull her and keep the arrangement
corb

7th Nov 07 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive already got my house, but am about to change jobs and possibly take a pay cut, so need to raise money from somewhere else, and one of my two empty rooms seems the easy/sensible option!
dannymccann

8th Nov 07 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair enough, as long as u know you have got the confidence to speak up if u dont like something the person is doing, cos u have to nip little things in the bud otherwise they escalate and it all gets a bit tetchy

also if its someone you dont know very well or at all it might be worth paying to get a contract drawn up so if they take off one month u can recoup their rent?
Dean_W

8th Nov 07 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with the above. You do need to sort any problems out quickly.

I got the lad to sign a 6 month rental agreement stating he needs to give 4 weeks notice if he moves out before this time.

Also, I have one months rent as a deposit. That's security against breakages and what not. Also if he pisses off without saying.
Fee

8th Nov 07 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we got a new girl in our flat when I was at uni

we were so picky about who moved in, turned people away on their smallest fault

turned out the girl we did say yes to was a cleptomaniac and a compulsive liar! It didn't last too long!

Just make sure you get references, deposit and rent up front
AdZ9

8th Nov 07 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
i live with 2 of my mates, before this arrangement i lived apart from them. one of them im moving in with next year and the other one if i lived with him anymore i think i would kill him. so its a gamble with friends same as with the ad in the paper, no way u can do it on ur own, or maybe with a partner (if possible? )

LOL exactly same position as me. Although i'm not moving back in with one of them im going back to parents for a bit.
Were all moving out end of December and moving back to rents, my main reason is i want a new car and to go travelling, also one of my mates is so lazy and its annoying.
He also does what someone mentioned about leaving washing in machine for ages, stinks the place out. Cant trust him to lock up and turn shit off properly to
Lisa

10th Nov 07 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i left my hubby last year and decided until the house was sold to house share was the cheapest option as i want ed to move out.
i saw an ad in local paper and went to look, all my mates said i was stupid and it would go tits up........................i isgned a lease for 3 months and am now in month 13, the lad i sahre with has done it a few times before with mates or people he knew and its always gone wrong

i move out in a few weeks into my new house and all i can say is i could not of picked someone better to live with, we get on great and i will be sad to go.

je says if he lets the room out again it will be to a girl and prob someone he don't know

i also made a good friend in him and will stay in touch
Russ

10th Nov 07 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good idea, but like somebody said, make sure your the sort of person who has the bollocks to stand up to them if u dont like something
nik

12th Nov 07 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would never let anyone stay in my house. Would be a nightmare
Dean_W

12th Nov 07 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nik
Would never let anyone stay in my house. Would be a nightmare

Thats what I thought, but it isn't.

Saturday, we (lodger and I) were both let down by mates, so we sat in and had a few beers and a smoke.

I quite enjoyed it. Kinda nice to not be pottering about on my own I suppose.
Tom

12th Nov 07 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you chuck his mate out in the end dean?!
myke

12th Nov 07 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been in my house since May, and let my second room out to a mates girlfriend. (at the time).

She turned out to be a bit useless. Keeps her self to herself which is good, and always paid on time, but her and my friend split up and it got a bit awkward from there.

She's moving out at the end of this month. I'd love the extra space and to have the whole place to myself, but to keep my current quality of life, i need the extra income. Having to put up with another persons habits is less of a downer for me than not having any money and having to turn down offers out and stuff.

I'll was hoping to find someone that i know to move in, but i'm not sure if anyone is looking for a place.
I'm not sure i'd have a really close friend in, as it would get tense and i'm sure we'd fall out. But at the same time it's better the devil you know, and if you advertised and took a random, they could turn out to be a superb pain in the arse. I know you go through vetting and stuff, but people can act their way through preliminary meetings, just as people do job interviews.
Dean_W

12th Nov 07 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Did you chuck his mate out in the end dean?!

Yeah, I did. Poor sod had to walk 4 miles home.

Ah well, fuck him. Not my mate.
Tom

13th Nov 07 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

much later
SAL
Premium Member

14th Nov 07 at 12:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i rent a room as my family all moved away, the thought at first was quite scary. living in someone else's house would feel weird, but i have been there over a year and its fine for me.

i go home, have shower, either go out or chill in my room on the net/phone

i dont want to do it forever, im going to find someone in the new year to do a flatshare with so i can make it feel a bit more like home, not someone's house im staying in.

i didnt even bother looking at flat's with rooms to let as it would of been IMO stepping on each others toes

there are some good web-sites out there to advertise on, i found my room in a local paper
Tom

15th Nov 07 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much do you pay if you dnt mind me asking?
SAL
Premium Member

15th Nov 07 at 10:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

me ? i pay 360 per month.
Andrew

15th Nov 07 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surpose London is expensive though.
Lisa

15th Nov 07 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i apy £300 all in for my house share
corb

16th Nov 07 at 00:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was gonna ask £350, but a mate is moving in now, so said she can have it for £300, she also volunteered to cook and clean
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

16th Nov 07 at 08:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tell her if she does it in the buff you'll lower it to £250

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll