corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Consumer unit

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Consumer unit
Terry12

User status: Offline
12th Oct 10 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One for the electricians on here.
I need a consumer unit for my garage, I think I heard the electric was going to run a 10a cable to it.

Question is what kind of unit am I looking for? Been looking online but there's so many to choose from, I reckon it'll be running 2 circuits.
Terry12

12th Oct 10 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it worth trying my local city electrical factors? Never used them before, Think i'll pay them a visit.
Rob_Quads

13th Oct 10 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ask the electrician that is going to wire it up is probably the best move
ash_corsa

13th Oct 10 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shouldnt need anymore than two circuits in a standard garage, I take its coming off an RCD protected way from the house DB? As you cant have 2 RCDs on one circuit.

10A supply? Hmm... seems a little low, id imagine the spark is running atleast a 2.5mm feed in whick would be 16/20A.

Would be easy to trip a 10A supply with some garden equipment + lights on.

Should only need a lighting circuit and a power circuit, why are you getting the consumer unit and not the electrician? he will be able to get it cheaper than you will.

Screwfix is another option.

Will do the job if you have RCD in your house covering garage circuit
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/46968/Electrical-Supplies/Consumer-Units/Wylex-Consumer-Units/Wylex-2-Way-Fully-Insulated-Main-Switch-Consumer-Unit

If not then you'll need one of these
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/87896/Electrical-Supplies/Consumer-Units/Wylex-Consumer-Units/Wylex-2-Way-63A-RCD-Board
Bart

13th Oct 10 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im guessing the Garage is going to be fed from a 10A MCB from your main house disboard?
If thats the case, just buy the first link posted above.

[Edited on 13-10-2010 by Bart]
Terry12

13th Oct 10 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The electrician is doing the job with parts liberated shall we say, He works for a big company who have a limited line of stock. He doesn't have a personal trade account as it's through the company account.

My cousin has given me a Wylex board for the house, 10 way I think.

Whilst looking in B&Q for some zone 1 spot lights( impossible task I might add) I stumbled upon a Wylex 6 way unit complete with 80A RCD and 2 MCB's for £40, When I went to the fastlane checkout there was a hand written barcode. Upon typing it in the listing came up as 5 way box for £10, So that's what I paid

I may be wrong about the 10a, Think that's what I heard but my head was cabbaged with all the tech talk
ash_corsa

14th Oct 10 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol! Bargain there then.

10A just seems a little small, although in reality you probably wont be using that much anyway.
But if it was me, id be putting in atleast a 2.5mm 16/20A supply.

Why do you need zone 1 downlights? Very rare to need lighting in zone 1.

Usually just us the bathroom IP 65 rated ones with the sealed glass cover.

Terry12

14th Oct 10 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Ash, was well happy with that bargain. Also got 2 doors and casings for £49 from wickes. I've bought 2 sets of bathroom downlights with the frosted glass covers. £12.75 for 4.
CORSA NUT

27th Oct 10 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ash_corsa
Shouldnt need anymore than two circuits in a standard garage, I take its coming off an RCD protected way from the house DB? As you cant have 2 RCDs on one circuit.

10A supply? Hmm... seems a little low, id imagine the spark is running atleast a 2.5mm feed in whick would be 16/20A.

Should only need a lighting circuit and a power circuit, why are you getting the consumer unit and not the electrician? he will be able to get it cheaper than you will.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/46968/Electrical-Supplies/Consumer-Units/Wylex-Consumer-Units/Wylex-2-Way-Fully-Insulated-Main-Switch-Consumer-Unit

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/87896/Electrical-Supplies/Consumer-Units/Wylex-Consumer-Units/Wylex-2-Way-63A-RCD-Board

ash_corsa

28th Oct 10 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
quote:
Originally posted by ash_corsa

Not sure what your getting at bud?
CORSA NUT

29th Oct 10 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can have more than one on one circuit it's just not necessary
ash_corsa

30th Oct 10 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You can have more than one on one circuit it's just not necessary

I think you'll find you cant use two 30ma RCDs on the same circuit as there will be no discrimination between the two. The house one would have to be 100ma and the garage one 30ma

CORSA NUT

30th Oct 10 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 100ma would have to be time delayed though. When you said you can't have 2 RCD's on the same circuit you were wrong... Hence the face
ash_corsa

1st Nov 10 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The 100ma would have to be time delayed though. When you said you can't have 2 RCD's on the same circuit you were wrong... Hence the face

But you dont use 100ma in houses anymore really, as 17th edition requires the use of 30ma

You generally only find them in old TT systems.

[Edited on 01-11-2010 by ash_corsa]
CORSA NUT

1st Nov 10 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just because you don't see them often doesn't mean anything. You were the one that mentioned the 100ma RCD not me. We could go on all day here but the point I'm making is that you made a statement that you can't have two RCD's on the same circuit...that is wrong matter what the circumstances as you can fit different rating units to compensate for discrimination.

In my house I have the garage running off a 10 way split load board 30ma RCD. I have a two way board in the garage with a 30ma RCD main switch. It doesn't matter which RCD trips first as long as one does! The ideal situation is to have the garage MCB in the board as an RCBO but I just haven't got around to doing it.

BTW I'm not looking for an argument here fella it's just what I've learnt upto now. The not fitting two RCD's in one circuit comes dom the days when they had no proper tolerences etc etc as far as I know.
ash_corsa

3rd Nov 10 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough mate, im only going off what ive read and been told. Dont really do house bashing anyway.

I stand corrected!
CORSA NUT

3rd Nov 10 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

NP fella i'm still learning all the time. Wish i didn't do Domestic TBH

New Poll