corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » 20 quid in anyones account who can sort this

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 20 quid in anyones account who can sort this
Dom

User status: Offline
28th Dec 08 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

like john said, digital coaxial in. In which case get an optical to coax converter > HERE < and that'll sort your xbox out!
Dom

28th Dec 08 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you got model/manufacture of cable box? But again as said, unless it the cable box has a digital audio output, or multichannel audio on phonos you won't get surround sound. You'll need to upgrade the cable box if you can.....

edit - would leave it like you had previously, stereo from cable box to decoder.

[Edited on 28-12-2008 by Dom]
Toby
Premium Member

29th Dec 08 at 07:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lee_wee
mines got an optical from the tv to the surround though thats the only difference

that still wont give you dolby digital as tvs cannot pass through digital audio via optical from any other source than the inbulit tuner i.e. freeview which there are also no channels which currently airing DD audio so in essence a twin phono cable will give you the same results. you are listing to pro logic 2
Toby
Premium Member

29th Dec 08 at 07:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In order for you to get full 5.1 dobly digital, you will need to take the source audio directly into the reciever (in this case a dvd combo) In case of the xbox that will be either a digital coax cable or an opitcal cable and the same. the same applies above to your cable box so a new box would be needed with a digital output for audio
John

29th Dec 08 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

corsab4ever in rubbish shocker

They'll pass through from hdmi quite happily.
csweatherston

29th Dec 08 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can u not put the cable/xbox though the tv via scart?..
Toby
Premium Member

29th Dec 08 at 15:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

which bit because i will happily prove you wrong
edit: if your talking about HDMI to the tele then audio to DVD player via optical then i am right. Yes the tv will pass audio over an optical out, but will it be in dobly digital or dts, no

[Edited on 29-12-2008 by CorsaB4ever]
John

29th Dec 08 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just looked into it a bit there, you could be right in some cases.

Some sources and tv's won't pass the correct audio through, not in all cases though.
Toby
Premium Member

29th Dec 08 at 16:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it happened to me i before i got my onkyo 606 i had an onkyo with HDMI pass through, i had my v+ box, ps3 and xbox connected all to my tv and then ran an optical from the tele to my avr hoping it would work but it never, Basically what happens is the HDMI connection does autonegotiation so it can figure out what video resolutions and audio formats the TV can support.. The TV indicates that it is a 2-channel audio sink (it only has 2 speakers). This forces the source device (your DVD player) to send 2-channel PCM. Since the TV only gets 2-channel PCM, that is all that it can forward onto its optical output.
im note sure if it happens with compnanat and is just hdmi or if it is all external devices

edit:just read about 98% of current televisions effects and sanyo's seem to be able to pass through multichannel audio from HDMI to opitcal out

Dan
Premium Member

29th Dec 08 at 17:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaB4ever
quote:
Originally posted by John

which bit because i will happily prove you wrong
edit: if your talking about HDMI to the tele then audio to DVD player via optical then i am right. Yes the tv will pass audio over an optical out, but will it be in dobly digital or dts, no

Not quite sure if im reading this right or not, but my lg scarlet has 2 hdmi inputs from ps3 and sky hd. From the tv i have optical output to the phillips surround system.

I get full dolby digital displayed on the phillps display.

Might be reading it right, if not, in my case the tv can output dolby from a hdmi input and out via optical

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
John

29th Dec 08 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats exactly what he was saying Dan and from what I had thought previously and what you've just said he's incorrect.
Toby
Premium Member

29th Dec 08 at 17:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i would agree but i have read many sources and tried the same on our sony, samsung and panasonic and all gave the same results, but what does the system say with SKY HD on? (this bit of information is quite vital)

Dan
Premium Member

29th Dec 08 at 18:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just checked, says dolbypl11, same as ps3

Dom

29th Dec 08 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan

Dolby ProLogic 2, isn't it false surround sound? Stereo -> Multi-channel?

edit - a lot of pioneers i believe output multi-channel over optical outs. But either case, most people have a Decoder these days anyways and to be honest i makes things a lot easier than all-in-one systems that tend to be pretty limited in functionality.

[Edited on 29-12-2008 by Dom]
Toby
Premium Member

29th Dec 08 at 18:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by Dan

Dolby ProLogic 2, isn't it false surround sound? Stereo -> Multi-channel?

correct dom

quote:
Originally posted by Dan

that isnt dolby digital thats a stereo to multichannel processing know as dolby pro logic, as dom stated that isnt dolby digital. dan to get the best from your films take an optical cable from the PS3 straight into your surround system and hear the difference
edit: do the same with the sky HD

so john not wanting to create an arguement but this is more proof that the majority of teles cannot process multichannel audio from external inputs and output over optical,
sorry to liam for hi jacking his thread but if you read my posts further up you will understand how you need to go about gettinjg dolby digital or dts audio from your sources

Dan
Premium Member

29th Dec 08 at 19:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea i realise now, i never looked at what it said until today. when i first set it up it always said dts on both. but i had it via a switch and direct to dvd/amp

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll