corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » connecting my xbox to my surround sound

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author connecting my xbox to my surround sound
sumner2k3

User status: Offline
5th Oct 10 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on the back on my xbox all i have is a hdmi output which im using for my tv, a long av output and a ethernet conection and a usb conection so im wondering how would i connect it up to my surround sound?

Nath

5th Oct 10 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need an amp, then connect the tv to the amp. Or without the amp try and connect the tv to the surround sound, won't be as good though.

I think thats right anyway.
Gary
Premium Member

5th Oct 10 at 14:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I tried this.

The stanard plug to TV on the Xbox has an optical out socket. But when using HDMI it does away with this.

You'd prob need an optial out from yout TV to surround sound to get full 5.1
ssj_kakarot

5th Oct 10 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your tv probally wont have an optical cable pass through if it does it definetly will not wont 5.1 dolby through to your surround it would only be 2 channel stereo if any thing.

what you need is this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HDMI-HD-AV-CABLE-OPTICAL-RCA-AUDIO-ADAPTER-XBOX-360-/140382235552?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item20af6eeba0#ht_1674wt_1137

then you can plug the hdmi cable into the tv and the optical cable into the back of your surround sound

with the adapter i linked you to hdmi and optical can be used at the same time.

[Edited on 05-10-2010 by ssj_kakarot]
harrisp

5th Oct 10 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your surround sound has optical in then you can use a normal av lead from the xbox with the casing took off and plug the optical in the normal plug (thats how mine is )

You have to do this as the plug with the casing wont fit in with a hdmi lead plugged into the xbox .

[Edited on 05-10-2010 by harrisp]
Norcy91

5th Oct 10 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what set up you have really.. If your surround sound has HDMI inputs and outputs then you can connect your HDMI on your Xbox up to your surround sound input and your TV to your surround sound output
sumner2k3

5th Oct 10 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can i just use the lead that comes with the xbox with the optical output on it for the surround sound and the hdmi output for the visual? or will they both not work together?
Norcy91

5th Oct 10 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I believe it's one or the other, i've got my xbox connected to my tv and then i just use the headphone jack on the tv to connect it to my amp with a phono lead, not the best quality you can get, but works fine for my needs
oceansoul

5th Oct 10 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Norcy91
I believe it's one or the other, i've got my xbox connected to my tv and then i just use the headphone jack on the tv to connect it to my amp with a phono lead, not the best quality you can get, but works fine for my needs

Wont be 5.1 surround sound with that set-up. Thinking about it you might not even be gettind Pro-Logic.
N3CRO

5th Oct 10 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm using component cable from the Xbox to the tv but the audio connectors connected to my stereo.
Norcy91

5th Oct 10 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
quote:
Originally posted by Norcy91

Wont be 5.1 surround sound with that set-up. Thinking about it you might not even be gettind Pro-Logic.

No, you'll only get sound out of your front 2/3 speakers, so not ideal if you're wanting full surround sound. On the other hand if your TV isn't a shit spec LCD like mine, you might have an optical out on your tv to connect it up to your surround sound, this should give you 5.1
ssj_kakarot

5th Oct 10 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok like i already said

buy the dongle i posted for £5 and you can use hdmi for picture and optical for sounds which will carry 5.1DD

or like someone else said hack your exsisting AV cable and you can use that for optical and hdmi at the same time, the only reason you cant use both is the AV cable blocks the hdmi port.

even if your tv has optical pass through it will not be 5.1 so your barcking up the wrong tree.

Although you would be able to get sound out of all speakers depending on your receiver, it would still be 2 channel stereo though
harrisp

7th Oct 10 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sumner2k3
can i just use the lead that comes with the xbox with the optical output on it for the surround sound and the hdmi output for the visual? or will they both not work together?

Yes, thats what I explained above.
Gary
Premium Member

7th Oct 10 at 13:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by harrisp
quote:
Originally posted by sumner2k3

Yes, thats what I explained above.

I tried this and didnt work. Always wanted to output to the xbox wire and not the HDMI
harrisp

7th Oct 10 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Strange, works fine on mine

You did leave the other end unplugged didnt you?

[Edited on 07-10-2010 by harrisp]
Kurt

7th Oct 10 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use components to telly then optical to my Sony DVD surround sound amp, trouble is the sound is out of sync with the telly so I have to mute the tv then
Gary
Premium Member

7th Oct 10 at 15:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by harrisp
Strange, works fine on mine

You did leave the other end unplugged didnt you?

[Edited on 07-10-2010 by harrisp]

Of course.
stu_c

7th Oct 10 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
your tv probally wont have an optical cable pass through if it does it definetly will not wont 5.1 dolby through to your surround it would only be 2 channel stereo if any thing.

what you need is this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HDMI-HD-AV-CABLE-OPTICAL-RCA-AUDIO-ADAPTER-XBOX-360-/140382235552?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item20af6eeba0#ht_1674wt_1137

then you can plug the hdmi cable into the tv and the optical cable into the back of your surround sound

with the adapter i linked you to hdmi and optical can be used at the same time.

[Edited on 05-10-2010 by ssj_kakarot]

this is how i have mine and it works a treat

New Poll