corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Cant get timing belt on

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cant get timing belt on
ChrisBoom

User status: Offline
3rd Sep 10 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Putting a new timing belt kit and water pump on the astra.

First time ive tried doing a timing belt, so bear with me

I cannot get the belt on, at all. The tensioner is at the slackest point, the water pump is in the right place, and no matter what way I try to get the belt on, its way off. If I pull is hard to try and get it over anything it just turns the crankshaft pulley.

Any tips?
Root

3rd Sep 10 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's just difficult to do, if you've done the tensioner to slacken, just wrap the belt around where it's supposed to go and pull it from the top, just stretch that bitch over the top pulley(s). It will happen eventually, might take a few tries, it's just a bastard to get back on...

try line up the bumps on the belt with the ridges on the pulley, pull the belt to stretch, get a few ridges in place then push it forwards over the pulley, while still pulling upwards

and turn it over by hand when you're done, you don't want to be smashing valves up if it's not timed up correctly

[Edited on 03-09-2010 by Root]
ChrisBoom

3rd Sep 10 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will give it another go, had to leave it for a while as I was starting to get really pissed off
Adam_B

3rd Sep 10 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Z20LET? I did mine recently and it was a right twat, you have to have the belt pulled tight across the cams and down to the crank. Then take the bolt out of the tensioner, get the belt round the tensioner and in about the right place then just feel around for the hole for the bolt if that makes sense.

No matter how hard i tried i couldnt get the belt to stretch over the tensioner with it already bolted up.

[Edited on 03-09-2010 by Adam_B]
AJBek

3rd Sep 10 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

slacken both idle rollers as well as the tensioner , this gives a touch more movement and helps get the belt on. I had the same problem on a Zlet and Clet and this helped a lot. Just make sure you remember to torque them up properly afterwards.
pippin

3rd Sep 10 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AJBek
slacken both idle rollers as well as the tensioner , this gives a touch more movement and helps get the belt on. I had the same problem on a Zlet and Clet and this helped a lot. Just make sure you remember to torque them up properly afterwards.

yea as AJBek said slaken idler pullyes aswell, i did mates 1 and it helped that wee bit i needed
see if that helps
ChrisBoom

3rd Sep 10 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Managed to get it with everything tightened up, after much swearing, blood and very sore fingers

New Poll