corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Anyone Rooted Desire?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone Rooted Desire?
dannymccann

User status: Offline
17th Jun 10 at 06:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Link to the instructions you used successfully?
Is it safe yet?
Any problems you have encountered?
Is it worth it? Im mainly thinking for the updated firmware more than anything else, when will Orange release the new one?
Warranty issues?

Cheers!
PaulW

17th Jun 10 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've rooted mine (did it the day the rooting method was first figured out), but have no experience with the later rooting methods which have been done. I guess they work just as well... I've released a few modified kernels on Modaco and XDA which use A2SD with the latest Stock WWE1.21 rooted ROM.

By default, it will install to SDCard regardless of the app, and when you flash the modded kernel, it will move everything over on boot (aswell as perform checks on the SDCard's ext partition), so boot times will reduce depending on how much stuff you install...

Also, as for warranty... Rooting it at the moment on the Desire isn't a "full" root, so flashing back to a stock firmware and unrooting has no ill-effects. Unless you're on Orange, at which case, there is no Orange ROM available to flash back to...
PaulW

17th Jun 10 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, you being on Orange... you *can't* upgrade the Radio ROM or your phone will become SIM-locked. Not sure why it's only Orange supplied handsets that do this, but its pretty piss poor...
Toby
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 17:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
Also, you being on Orange... you *can't* upgrade the Radio ROM or your phone will become SIM-locked. Not sure why it's only Orange supplied handsets that do this, but its pretty piss poor...

And to top it off the Orange branding is horrific. I will root mine if 2.2 takes ages to get here as I want apps2sd pronto
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 18:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my phone is now low on memory

whats the point of having 32gig if i cant use it
PaulW

17th Jun 10 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Toby - rumours have it 23rd of June for Froyo on Desire... But I'll expect that to be 23rd June 2039 given how they handled the Eclair update on Hero...

Mark - root
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 18:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think i'll wait for the update tbh
PaulW

17th Jun 10 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be waiting then!

Also, the A2SD offering in Froyo isn't that good, the App has to support the feature for it to work, otherwise it won't move...

I tried FRF50 on my Desire, but tbh I prefer a rooted ER27-based ROM...

[Edited on 17-06-2010 by PaulW]
John

17th Jun 10 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the radio rom the only thing you can't do with the orange versions?

Can I stick whatever other rom I want on it?
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

17th Jun 10 at 19:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd rather not mess with the phones software though
PaulW

17th Jun 10 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John - unless you get an unlock code and unlock it before you flash, then yes.

If you do update the Radio by mistake though by rooting, you can easily downgrade it still...

I think this is a reason why Orange is taking its sweet time in releasing any ROM updates, as all others which have been done (Tmob, Virgin, O2, etc etc), have all included updated Radio's. Maybe they will just have to mass-unlock all there handsets to do an update, who knows...
John

17th Jun 10 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just ordered an orange one, they had the best contract by far, I'll get on xda-devs and swat up, not been up to date with it since I sold my magic.
PaulW

17th Jun 10 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rooting is easy enough, there used to be issues with the process bricking phones (no USB, SDCard, 3G, Wifi...) but thats now been resolved
dannymccann

18th Jun 10 at 06:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats a Radio ROM? Im worried about doing it because I dont know enough about it, I know you only learn by making a mistake but I dont want / cant afford a pretty brick
PaulW

18th Jun 10 at 07:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Radio ROM is a seperate part, which is the program code to how the radio itself works. This is seperate from the main ROM (Software layer), but more recent Radio builds essentially improve signal quality, fewer dropped or missed calls, better 3G reception, etc... Newer RADIO's also do give better battery life as they are more efficient, I'm running radio 32.37.00.32U_4.06.00.16_2. Started out with 32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11, and I have noticed marked improvements in battery and signal with each upgrade.

The Radio part is also pretty well integrated with the HBOOT subsystem (the main bootloader to the phone), HBOOT is also what needs changing to root a phone, although there is no "complete" rooting method as yet due to NAND memory protection (unable to write to /system in normal use), this is being worked on... However, /system IS writeable in Recovery, so all exploits, patches, ROM's, etc, are flashed from there once HBOOT has been successfully changed.

I bought my Desire at launch, didn't get it via contract, so I had a generic WWE version, which also had HBOOT v0.75. Alot (if not ALL) contract phones have HBOOT 0.80, making rooting a little more difficult but not impossible. Branded phones will also require a "GoldCard" to be made...

Here's a link on rooting the Desire (latest methods), its a bit more friendly (brick-free apparently), but even if its bricked you can easily restore its functionality now which is nice

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desire-desire-modaco-com/307365/14-jun-r6-riskfreeroot-htc-desire-rooting-guide-now-with-hboot-0-80-and-os-to-1-21-support/

[Edited on 18-06-2010 by PaulW]
dannymccann

18th Jun 10 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Paul, when Ive got a completely free weekend I will give it a go.

Just to clarify, this GoldCard thing, does it wreck your SD card so you can never use it again as normal?
John

18th Jun 10 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So can I flash an orange one with any rom/radio then just get an unlock code from ebay and everything will work fine?
PaulW

18th Jun 10 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dannymccann - no, you can use the goldcard just as a normal SDCard, you only need it once for the initial rooting process.

john - you need to unlock the phone prior to flashing a new Radio ROM. As long as the unlock code is genuine for your phone, and you can then use other networks SIM, then yes, you can update the radio.

New Poll