corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » bt broadband or virgin????

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author bt broadband or virgin????
tomo2k9

User status: Offline
31st Mar 10 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hey all iv just had a new laptop in our new house and i want the internet, iv got bt at my moms with the new black hub and it is very quick, but herd that virgin is rely fast, so what do you guys think is the best one and what are peoples experiances let me no cheers
bubble

31st Mar 10 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tomo2k9
hey all iv just had a new laptop in our new house and i want the internet, iv got bt at my moms with the new black hub and it is very quick, but herd that virgin is rely fast, so what do you guys think is the best one and what are peoples experiances let me no cheers

i have had virgin for 12months, i have the 20mb broadband, and i do get 20mb on speedtest.net.

torrents dl at normally 3-4mbsec, downloading programmes like itunes comes through at over 10000k/sec.

internet with virgin if it is cable is in my opinion stonkingly good. i had bt years ago through telephone line and it was slow, but that was back in the day.

bt are launching cable broadband in a year or so, but for me, virgin absolutely 100% awesome.
tomo2k9

31st Mar 10 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for that mate few of my mates have virgin aswell and they say its good, but i just dont like the modem they give you its not that stylish rely is it, ino it sounds stupid but i like the hub lol
bubble

31st Mar 10 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tomo2k9
cheers for that mate few of my mates have virgin aswell and they say its good, but i just dont like the modem they give you its not that stylish rely is it, ino it sounds stupid but i like the hub lol

function over form tbh.
Blade_sri

31st Mar 10 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

virgin were spot on...dont get cable were i live now so with talk talk!
tomo2k9

31st Mar 10 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at my moms we have bt and its quick you dont have to wait around like but then when i go to my mates on his computer the internet is abit slower, i rely dont no what to go for lol
luciaadr

31st Mar 10 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bubble

bt are launching cable broadband in a year or so

Eh? Say what now? Are you getting confused with the upgrading of their network to the cabinets to fibre optic instead of copper?
bubble

31st Mar 10 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by luciaadr
quote:
Originally posted by bubble

bt are launching cable broadband in a year or so

Eh? Say what now? Are you getting confused with the upgrading of their network to the cabinets to fibre optic instead of copper?

sorry i got confused!!i meant they are launching fibre optic cable within 12 months, called BT Infinity. it gets rolled out across the uk region by region but its like £25 a month for unlimited access, which is more than virgins fibre optic network

[Edited on 31-03-2010 by bubble]
Eck
Premium Member

31st Mar 10 at 16:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm pretty positive that BT will be changing from LAN to Fibre aye. Seeing as we're making it for them
C2RL R

31st Mar 10 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i just left BT in favour of Virgin. With BT i was paying for 8mb and getting less than 1 most of the time. i'm on 10mb with virgin and get exactly that.
Dom

31st Mar 10 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can get Virgin cable then get that, otherwise Virgin ADSL is shite and you're better off with another ADSL ISP (Be if you can get them).
tomo2k9

6th Apr 10 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i ended up ordering bt lol just something i like tbh
Cavey

6th Apr 10 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't ever use BT for broadband, they're just not very good value, and i've not heard anyone say anything good about them!
ENB

7th Apr 10 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BT are probably the best of a bad bunch, but if you go with another ADSL provider, make sure they're LLU (you can check on samknows.com) otherwise you're just buying though a BT reseller.

I'd always go with Virgin. Never had a problem and you get what you pay for. Oh and you could just put the Virgin modem in a cupboard and attach the BT router to the modem (you'd need to anyway if you want to connect multiple devices) if you're that bothered how it looks.
mwg

7th Apr 10 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone know if Virgin are extending the areas they cover with the super fast fibre optic cable? As you cant get it anywhere around here.
adiohead

7th Apr 10 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's no fibre optic here either. Stupid

I might change from BT to BE
AlunJ

7th Apr 10 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if virgin had their cable to my house I know I'd be with them rather than having sky, sky phone and plusnet. Told me i'd get 6meg when I signed up... I get 1.5meg
Simon

7th Apr 10 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went with Virgin because they were the only people who would install without already having or wanting a landline, no complaints from the service
saj_123

7th Apr 10 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my student house there are 4 of us and we have Virgin and I never have any problems, although when I go to my mates who has BT the internet is so slow and always disconnects.
adiohead

7th Apr 10 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was just looking for a new provider and the internet cut out!!!!

CONSPIRACY
DC90

7th Apr 10 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Virgin are releasing 100mb connection by the end of this year

Gonna be funny when people are ringing us with faults complaining that they are only getting 75mb, not 100.
Dom

7th Apr 10 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
Anyone know if Virgin are extending the areas they cover with the super fast fibre optic cable? As you cant get it anywhere around here.

It's not fibre to your property, it's fibre to the green cabs! The last hundred metres or so is coax! BT is also rolling out FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) and i think Ofcom want BT to open up their new FTTC network to other ISPs so give it a year or two and majority of people should be able to get a decent connection (20mbit+ etc) as you won't be limited by exchange distances, only distances to your nearest cabinet.

Also, getting cable BB connection isn't the ultimate solution, you have good areas and bad areas (oversubscribed UBRs) and you may get a 20/50mbit connection but during peak times you might struggle to get half that.

quote:
Originally posted by DC90

A lot of their network is in a poor state and struggles with VM's current 50mbit service, i think 100mbit maybe asking too much of it until VM get the cash flow to upgrade it all.
Either way they are planning to release towards the end of the year i think, so it'll be interesting to see what it's like. Although at those speeds your relying on the connection to the server you're downloading off.
Also they are trialling 200mb.....
Sam
Premium Member

8th Apr 10 at 07:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want silly fast speed, move to Japan.

If you want fast speed, get Virgin.

If you can't get Virgin, go with O2 (or Be).
DC90

8th Apr 10 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by mwg

It's not fibre to your property, it's fibre to the green cabs! The last hundred metres or so is coax! BT is also rolling out FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) and i think Ofcom want BT to open up their new FTTC network to other ISPs so give it a year or two and majority of people should be able to get a decent connection (20mbit+ etc) as you won't be limited by exchange distances, only distances to your nearest cabinet.

Also, getting cable BB connection isn't the ultimate solution, you have good areas and bad areas (oversubscribed UBRs) and you may get a 20/50mbit connection but during peak times you might struggle to get half that.

quote:
Originally posted by DC90

A lot of their network is in a poor state and struggles with VM's current 50mbit service, i think 100mbit maybe asking too much of it until VM get the cash flow to upgrade it all.
Either way they are planning to release towards the end of the year i think, so it'll be interesting to see what it's like. Although at those speeds your relying on the connection to the server you're downloading off.
Also they are trialling 200mb.....

Aye, we are showing off the 200mb at this homeshow thing. Some amazing stuff there like a toothbrush that gives you a healthcheck and books you into the docs

50 meg has been a bit of a pain from what i've seen but I haven't worked for Virgin for very long.

New Poll