corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Virgin.Net 1MB Broadband problems? HELP! (Update)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Virgin.Net 1MB Broadband problems? HELP! (Update)
MoNkEy MaGiC

User status: Offline
20th Jul 05 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im with virgin broadband and have upgraded to 1MB 3 weeks ago however im still getting the old speed!!???

[Edited on 20-07-2005 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
Dan B

20th Jul 05 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When they say test from the "master socket", they mean directly, ie. move the equipment to it, not buy a 15m (or however long) extension cable.

If you're using a router (and which model is it?), check what speed it's synching at......if the downstream sync says it's 576kbps, then you're still on the old speed; if it says 1152kbps, then you're on the new speed.

If it still says 576kbps, then call Virgin and tell them that, as they'll need to contact BT and find out why the regrade hasn't gone through (assuming they're using IPStream/DataStream, and not LLU).
MoNkEy MaGiC

20th Jul 05 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive tried almost everything and have called up virgin many times and they run me through a few process on my comp but it still dont fix it!!

ALSO...could it be a problem with my BT line because apparently 1MB is the most i can recieve on this line!! and the line itself is long quite far from the exchange

any ideas guys???
Dan B

21st Jul 05 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See my previous post...

Is it a modem or a router? Which model? Some routers can give line-stats, so if it is a router (and one I've heard of), I should be able to tell you how to find these out...

Get Virgin to run a "Woosh" test, this will test your line and give them a noise-level (BT are now trying to activate a 512kbps connection on any line, the limit for a 1Mbps line is 60dB, and 43dB for a 2Mbps line), so that should give them (and you) an indication of how close to the limits your line is...
MoNkEy MaGiC

21st Jul 05 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok mate...

its a BELKIN modem with wireless-G router model # F5D7632-4
-downstreem is 476kbps and upstream about 233kbps
i got it of my mate who was ALSO having problems with his ISP and 1MB, BUT it was a different american ISP...HOWEVER, i also have the original Speedtouch330 modem virgin.net sent me with my first 512k broadband connection, and even that still shows maximum 476kbps connection speed!!

i called them up again yesterday and they said connect to the internet with a speedtester username and i had to go to the bt website were a speed test was done and logged(464kbps), i called them up again after which they said it may be best for me to just stay on the 512k as it will run better now, and because i may NOT be able to get 1mb and so they downgraded my package!!!!!

what should i do??
would i have the same problem if i changed to a different ISP??

[Edited on 21-07-2005 by MoNkEy MaGiC]

New Poll