corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Another MW2 thread. PC related

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Another MW2 thread. PC related
DannyB
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Nov 09 at 12:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like dedicated servers and mods arent too far away...

quote:
*NOTE: It is very possible you may be banned by VAC for attempting any of this. You have been warned...ok, that said...

Looks like the folks over at Teknogods have done it - or as close to have "done it" as we have gotten so far. They have created a co-op loader that allows a dedicated* server to be used instead of a local host set-up.

This "work around" essentially, enables a listen server, and lets a client connect to an arbitrary IP like 1.2.3.4, for spec-ops mode only.

Read the details here:
Source

Six days after release, it looks like there has been a successful attempt at arriving at a community based hack of IW.net.

Is this truly a dedi-server?

*Note that, in some people's lexicon, a dedicated server should not require a graphics card and it should be pointed out that in the Teknogods setup...a graphics card is required for the host server. If you choose to use the latter definition (dedi server = no-gfx card) , then the community might be some days away from that realization.

Realizing the "true" definition of dedi-servers might be difficult; however, there is hope given the following dvars found in the game's .exe:
badhost_endGameIfISuck "1"
badhost_minPercentClientsUnhappyToSuck "0.51"
badhost_minTotalClientsForHappyTest "3"

...it would appear, that you could theoretically lock the server down to one specific host by simply turning off "endGameIfISuck". This way, the server would not get migrated. Underscore "theoretically".

A separate group, AgentGOD (note how all modders consider themselves deities...just an observation) has build a console enabling hack for MW2. This vid, showing the hack at work, just surfaced on YouTube:

So much for IW.net

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rqLUDfl26Y
Adam_B

16th Nov 09 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the advantage of not using IW.net? And what do IW get out of everyone using their server?

[Edited on 16-11-2009 by Adam_B]
DannyB
Premium Member

16th Nov 09 at 14:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iw.net has replaced dedicated servers, IW.net is what controlls everything. What map to play, gametype etc etc, along with steam they have both replaced dedicated servers. They don't get anything out of it really, they introduced it so people can have a fair game. It's a new system for the PC, first time it's been used.
Sunz

16th Nov 09 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good news for pc gamers then.
I wonder if they can hack the map editor to !
Unless we can use the cod4 one, that will be needed for dedicated servers.

Is a disadvantage to using iw.net in my eyes (just for eck - for me personally), without them = dedicated servers, 40-50 players, chaos and mayhem.
Will still be smaller servers like 20 players but there is a lot more options without this iw.net.

[Edited on 16-11-2009 by Sunz]
DannyB
Premium Member

16th Nov 09 at 15:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not holding out any hopes mind, once IW cotton onto it the users will just be banned.
Eck
Premium Member

16th Nov 09 at 15:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd imagine so. Can't see them being happy that the software they created for users to play on has been hacked for other players enjoyment
DannyB
Premium Member

16th Nov 09 at 15:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be honest I think anything more than 10 a side on the current maps would be overkill, even with 9 a side you're allways in the middle of action.

New Poll