corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Is Sky HD worth the extra £10 a month?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is Sky HD worth the extra £10 a month?
bubble

User status: Offline
1st Mar 09 at 01:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have just had virign media installed, and i have hdmi from box into tv, and on the box settings you can change output to 1080i/p. bbc hd is FUCKIN AWESOME.

MatthewR

1st Mar 09 at 01:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes!
ssj_kakarot

1st Mar 09 at 01:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bubblevaux
i have just had virign media installed, and i have hdmi from box into tv, and on the box settings you can change output to 1080i/p. bbc hd is FUCKIN AWESOME.

yeah i have the V+ box, pity the only channel in HD is bbc lol.

still theres HD stuff avalible from the on demmand thing.
bubble

1st Mar 09 at 01:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
quote:

virgin media is the future, especially with 20mb broadband, that actually is 20mb!
Bart

1st Mar 09 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
quote:

virgin media is the future, especially with 20mb broadband, that actually is 20mb!

/slap

you deserve that for choosing virgin media.
They are not the way forward!

If you want an ISP that will send you letters if it catches you illegally downloading, and will have no quarrels about handing over your info to the MPAA then yes, great decision.

Otherwise Plusnet or UKOnline are the way forward.

Going back to Sky HD, as ive now had it for nearly two months and it compliments my Pioneer Kuru 50" (500A) quite well.
The picture quality does look amazing, but you must be warned..... its all in the source!
For example, if like my misses, you switch on to a HD channel and watch the simpsons or a film recorded in the mid 90's, dont expect it to look any different then watching it on a 50 quid second hand TV.
If you watch a new film thats been recorded in true HD then thats when you truly notice the difference.

You will need a decent TV to see a decent picture. Despite the the fact your TV might output a HD quality program, if you have a 300 quid currys special, also dont expect to see a massive improvement.

The main difference in the quality, is the attention to smaller detail and clarifty of colours, for example, bright football shirts, seeing every blade of grass on sky sports etc.

Thats my opinion anyway
bubble

1st Mar 09 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my sister had ntl since day one-she downloads and never has once received any letter?
Deadude

1st Mar 09 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no company wants to catch you illegal downloading cause it just means they will lose money most of the time people dont get caught by the isp its by a third party....
John

1st Mar 09 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Virgin are one of the companies with the new policies on illegal downloading.

20 meg with virgin isn't a real 20 meg either, it's 20 meg if everybody else happens to not be using the net, it's 20 meg divided by a thousand people otherwise.
Nic Barnes

1st Mar 09 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just got sky hd installed. carling cup final was awesome to watch in hd. result was crap, but picture was amazing
Bart

1st Mar 09 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
my sister had ntl since day one-she downloads and never has once received any letter?

Is NTL associated with virgin media? (i have no idea), if not, then that doesnt really apply to you does it?!

Nasty Virgin Letters

As mentioned above, it is a new policy for virgin media, and a few ISPs have signed up to it.

Its all a big fucking farce imo. if you download a song from a file sharing website its illegal, if you go watch it on youtube not uploaded byt he author its not illegal.

The entertainment industry really needs to sort itself out, and stop trying to rip people off.
John

1st Mar 09 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Virgin media is NTL, virgin media has nothing at all to do with the rest of the virgin group apart from buying the name to ride on the coat tails of a better brand.
strick206

1st Mar 09 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

20 meg with virgin isn't a real 20 meg either, it's 20 meg if everybody else happens to not be using the net, it's 20 meg divided by a thousand people otherwise.

No but it is a damn site better than any ADSL connection from BT or Sky which are nowhere near in terms of download speeds that Cable achieve

I'm not on the top virgin package, but download at around 1MBps where as with BT i was struggling to achieve 50kbps
bubble

2nd Mar 09 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

i posted my speedtest.net results and it was 19570 summat. isnt that near enough 20mb?

downloading torrents with my old landline speed was usually about 80-90k a second. its now between 1200 and 2000kbs. benjamin button was 2600kbs.

better imo
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Mar 09 at 12:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
downloading torrents with my old landline speed was usually about 80-90k a second. its now between 1200 and 2000kbs. benjamin button was 2600kbs.

better imo

Enjoy it while it lasts, as John said - Virgin have made it clear they're working with the BPI to 'stop' file sharing of copywrited material

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Eck
Premium Member

2nd Mar 09 at 12:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Virgin Media are a joke. Aye they may give you a decent speed (even though 20meg has never went above 14 in the missus household) but the quality of service they give is deplorable. The missus phone, tv and broadband get cut off nearly once a month The tv service is slow, unreliable and shite quality as well.
Daimo B

2nd Mar 09 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looked through the packages.

Damn sky is a joke, 3 seperate setups for movies alone??? What a rip off.

Im not going for it yet. At the moment, there simply isn't enough channels to warrant £10 pm. I'd only watch Sky1HD (wheres Sky2HD etc..>>?) and Eurosport HD. But Eurosport HD is only viable if the country sending out the signal has HD...

Theres a couple of documentry channels, but thats still £10 for effectivly 4 channels in HD.

If you want more, you ahve to pay the movies fee's, so its like £50 pm, they can screw right off!!!!

Im happy with my £20pm odd for 4 package deal and broadband.
bubble

2nd Mar 09 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
Virgin Media are a joke. Aye they may give you a decent speed (even though 20meg has never went above 14 in the missus household) but the quality of service they give is deplorable. The missus phone, tv and broadband get cut off nearly once a month The tv service is slow, unreliable and shite quality as well.

your more than welcome come visit me and my hd tv setup.

internet is still fast, im downloading now and still got good test speeds

im happy.
DannyB
Premium Member

2nd Mar 09 at 19:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just upgraded, HD box being installed on saturday, can't wait.
Eck
Premium Member

2nd Mar 09 at 19:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Eck

im happy.

I've worked for Virgin Media. The missus has the VIP package and every part of it is shite.
Cavey

6th Mar 09 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had my Sky+HD installed yesterday, been watching the cricket all day in HD, looks amazing, happy I went for it

Also watched Steve Austin in search of the giant Anaconda, looked brilliant in HD too. yay
DannyB
Premium Member

6th Mar 09 at 20:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't fucking wait to watch Discovery and nat geoHD tomorow
bubble

6th Mar 09 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Eck

im happy.

I've worked for Virgin Media. The missus has the VIP package and every part of it is shite.

in what way are they shite?

internet is stupidly quick, and tv is good. loads of on demand stuff in hd for me.

if that is being shit, then id love to see a good provider!
JayCarr

6th Mar 09 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got Sky hd+ in my place, had it a week now and love it Hooked on Rush HD at the mo. Amazing quality.
DannyB
Premium Member

7th Mar 09 at 16:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just had it fited, can't beleive the difference, well worth the money.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll