corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Blu ray players

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Blu ray players
xa0s
Banned

User status: Offline
10th Feb 09 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PS3 is the way to go at the moment. It's the best value for money, and compares with £500+ dedicated players.
Jambo

10th Feb 09 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Purchased the Panasonic BD35, £60 cheaper than the cheapest Ps3 deal over £100 cheaper than most high street stores.
It matches my home cinema system perfectly in style and size.

With that £60 i purchased some clothes and a couple of dvds.

Very happy
jacko198

10th Feb 09 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A1EX
what would be in the pipeline if blu-ray was on the way out?

No one knows yet! Alot of people are working on downloadable ones, so you just download them to youre hard drive to watch on youre tv. Should be able to get 7.0 out of it aswell like blu ray but companies wont have to pay sony as much £ as they are doing now

Aparently, sony's prices are extremely high
Joe

10th Feb 09 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jacko198
quote:
Originally posted by A1EX
what would be in the pipeline if blu-ray was on the way out?

No one knows yet! Alot of people are working on downloadable ones, so you just download them to youre hard drive to watch on youre tv. Should be able to get 7.0 out of it aswell like blu ray but companies wont have to pay sony as much £ as they are doing now

Aparently, sony's prices are extremely high

Lets be honest though, HD download's are going to be a way off for alot of people still.

Our broadband is dog shit, can never get companies best packages. Maybe in London it will be possible, but the rest of the country will be years off.

Plus for me, if I want to watch a DVD I dont want to fuck about downloading it first.
John

10th Feb 09 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with what Joe says, UK infrastructure is nowhere close to on demand HD downloads for everybody, blu-ray will have a decent lifespan imo.
Jambo

10th Feb 09 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dvd was released in 1999 IIRC, so 10years on and its still the main format. I expect blu ray to have a similar lifespan
Matt H

10th Feb 09 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well done James, splashes out on a Bluray player & then buys some normal DVD's
jacko198

10th Feb 09 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i agree with you. Just what i have been told, insider info
bubble

10th Feb 09 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my dad bought a ps3 purely to use as a blu-ray player for some of his favourite films. that was his only intention.

a week after he finally set it up, he realised he could use the ps3 for the internet, so he watches music videos on youtube on the browser.

he had no other use for a ps3 until he got it. i have now set his media centre stream up, so before he would listen to his mp3s upstairs, now he can listen downstairs.

and everytime i see him, all i get is how clear the quality is etc, and he is well old.

for me personally, if someone has a budget of about £270, to not get a ps3 for a blu-ray is idiotic. the amount of blu-rays DVDs i have seen, and on the reverse it says "not compatible with machines made pre 2006" is silly. ps3 updates. eventually there will be movies released that blurays now, cant play, and the ps3 will carry on playing.

just my 2 pennys worth
Nic Barnes

10th Feb 09 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bubblevaux
my dad bought a ps3 purely to use as a blu-ray player for some of his favourite films. that was his only intention.

a week after he finally set it up, he realised he could use the ps3 for the internet, so he watches music videos on youtube on the browser.

he had no other use for a ps3 until he got it. i have now set his media centre stream up, so before he would listen to his mp3s upstairs, now he can listen downstairs.

and everytime i see him, all i get is how clear the quality is etc, and he is well old.

for me personally, if someone has a budget of about £270, to not get a ps3 for a blu-ray is idiotic. the amount of blu-rays DVDs i have seen, and on the reverse it says "not compatible with machines made pre 2006" is silly. ps3 updates. eventually there will be movies released that blurays now, cant play, and the ps3 will carry on playing.

just my 2 pennys worth

tried to suggest the update thing but got rubbished by people who dont like the ps3 just becuase its a ps3.
bubble

10th Feb 09 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
quote:

just my 2 pennys worth

tried to suggest the update thing but got rubbished by people who dont like the ps3 just becuase its a ps3.

oh.........wanna come crawl back under my rock with me?
radicalry00

10th Feb 09 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH there will always be people who will want to avoid the PS3 for some reason or other; usually because they already own a different console. If Jambo's happy with his standalone Blu-ray player then good for him I say . However, personally, I would have paid the extra £60 just for the convenience of being able to play any PS3 exclusives that I fancied and for the added internet capability.
Nic Barnes

10th Feb 09 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

oh.........wanna come crawl back under my rock with me?

no mate, im off to switch the xbox on.
mk4_astra

11th Feb 09 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

just my 2 pennys worth

this is the perfect example of where i would say to get a consider a ps3 as it is a 'media centre' as opposed to just a blu ray player, however if you already have a laptop, xbox 360 etc then chances are a ps3 will appeal to you just as a blu ray player and if thats the case then you can get players such as the panasonic BD35 which offers better sound and image( image only very slightly, depending on your setup) over the ps3 for less money.

and any stand alone player with BD live 2.0 can be updated very easily
Nic Barnes

11th Feb 09 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can a random cheap blu ray player like what you mention above play and upscale such files as avi's etc?
ssj_kakarot

11th Feb 09 at 02:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
can a random cheap blu ray player like what you mention above play and upscale such files as avi's etc?

no but any pc connected to a tv running ffdshow will do it and depending on the setup can do it better.

each to there own, i purchased a ps3 to use as a blueray player, but i can see why other people wouldnt bother, nothing wrong with either decision.
mwg

11th Feb 09 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does anyone know if the Blu-ray drive fitted to my Dell will upscale standard DVDs?

I'm sure the picture quality is better when I use my laptop to play non Blu-ray DVDs through instead of my stand alone DVD player.

Mind you laptop to TV is HDMI cable and DVD player to TV is through a Scart so that might make a difference?
John

11th Feb 09 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The player won't upscale on your laptop, the software may but I doubt it, using hdmi will make a massive difference over scart.
mwg

11th Feb 09 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll be the cable then. Cheers

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll