corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » HDMI cable, which one

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HDMI cable, which one
Welsh Dan

User status: Offline
19th Jan 09 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by cunningham
i got a monster i seen the diffrence in store

Its amazing how many people can see the difference in store
cunningham

19th Jan 09 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 identical setups apart from the cables swayed it for me
John

19th Jan 09 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What difference in an hdmi cable did you see.

Did they have 2 identical tv's coming off 2 identical players with identical discs, set up indentically with just the cables changed.

Or, did they just tell you they were identical so you'd spend a fortune on something you don't need?
Dom

19th Jan 09 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Pablo, to be frank, you are talking shit.

Second this, although i agree that you should atleast spend £10-20 quid on a shielded cable plus it can be future-proofing (12bit @ 120Hz spec)

And the only thing i have read (a few times) is that cheap cables (or inadequate cables over long distances) can cause the error-correction (usually interference playing havoc making it difficult to distinguish between a 0bit/1bit) to oversample/over-correct causing artefacts (and potentially lower the quality of the picture).
But i've personally never seen this happen......

cunningham

19th Jan 09 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Did they have 2 identical tv's coming off 2 identical players with identical discs, set up indentically with just the cables changed.

Or, did they just tell you they were identical so you'd spend a fortune on something you don't need?

i got to check the whole setup as i moaned and said it could be diffrent equipment etc everything was identical apart from the cables at the time i was spending 800 quid on a tv another 80 quid wasnt making a huge diffrence in price and i clearly got to see the benefit first hand
John

19th Jan 09 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You didn't, there's no chance you could tell between 2 working cables over a short distance because there is no difference.
cunningham

19th Jan 09 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats right im blind i didnt see no diffence
Dom

19th Jan 09 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

i got to check the whole setup as i moaned and said it could be diffrent equipment etc everything was identical apart from the cables at the time i was spending 800 quid on a tv another 80 quid wasnt making a huge diffrence in price and i clearly got to see the benefit first hand

i'm guessing you made sure all of the TV sets were set to the same settings or default? And that settings on the HD/BD players were the same?

Pablo

20th Jan 09 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe you all have shit equipment and there fore all looks the same on crap screens lol
John

20th Jan 09 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, no.
Brabus

20th Jan 09 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Gadget show did a test on this not long ago, they brought a £200 cable and a cheap one and the outcome was, dont waste your money
Scotty_B

20th Jan 09 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You didn't, there's no chance you could tell between 2 working cables over a short distance because there is no difference.

ssj_kakarot

20th Jan 09 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pablo
maybe you all have shit equipment and there fore all looks the same on crap screens lol

mabye your getting deffensive because some one raped you wallet convincing you to buy an expensive cable that does nothing ?

you might want to read up next time you purchase equipment

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&message.id=828972http://stuff.tv/forums/thread/33821.aspx

http://reviews.cnet.com/hdmi-cable/?tag=mncol;txt

few articles to get you started.

[Edited on 20-01-2009 by ssj_kakarot]
Dom

20th Jan 09 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another good thread about HDMI cables - > HERE <

Edit - Oh and another > HERE < and > Another <

To be honest, anyone that has paid £80/100+ on a Monster/Chord cable got ripped a new one, especially when tests prove that there isn't any noticable differences (unless you're talking lengths over 1-2m). And it's more gutting when you can pick up a £20 QED cable that offers the same build quality as something that's five times the price

[Edited on 20-01-2009 by Dom]
xa0s
Banned

21st Jan 09 at 01:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_
I have bought several of these for myself and other. Can get them for around £7 sometimes on amazon, ebay etc..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINX-HDMI-Cable-Premium-Plated/dp/B000H8TQL4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232240240&sr=8-1

Even then some will say too much

I have 5 of these in my setup, and they've been flawless -- very well made for the price.

Play have them for £15.99 but they used to be £9.99. I referred tons of people to them on AVForums and suddenly they went up in price after everyone accepted them as a very decent cable for a very decent price.

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Cheapest one possible

Bad advice -- everyone is right in saying it's a digital connection and sends 1s and 0s so it either works or it doesn't, but the actual quality of the cable is worth paying for. I've seen HDMI cables that literally full apart if tugged or randomly stop working because they break.

quote:

Impossible.

You really should read up about digital connections. That's like saying using a gold-plated USB lead will make the files better quality when transferring them -- that's exactly the same as what a HDMI cable does. It transfers 1s and 0s up the cable. If that 1 reaches the other end of the cable OK, the HDMI cable is fine. It doesn't improve or alter anything.

Oh and my step-dad wouldn't listen to me either, and spent £100 on QED HDMI cables for his setup. He bought 5 of them and one day when he was at work, I replaced them all with my £10 cables and asked him if he noticed a difference.

"No" was his answer, and that was being tested on a 60" Pioneer KURO plasma. If you can't notice a difference on the best quality plasma in the consumer market, you're not going to notice anything on a 32" <random-make> LCD.

[Edited on 21-01-2009 by xa0s]
John

21st Jan 09 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All my hdmi cables are ebay specials and the construction quality is excellent, especially for the price.

Only cable i've had break is an ebuy one wth dodgy connections on one end.
Pablo

21st Jan 09 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Na it made a visibal difference to my system. So quate and show me links to whatever you want, wont change the fact it improved the picture will it.

John

21st Jan 09 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless you had a faulty cable, which is a possibility, we're telling you it made absolutely no difference to the picture apart from you trying to justify being bent over in your head.
Brett
Premium Member

21st Jan 09 at 13:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

smack

21st Jan 09 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they try to fuck you over in comet/currys with all this hdmi shit. they said only a £40+ hdmi cable would work on my home cinema
Scotty_B

21st Jan 09 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by smack
they try to fuck you over in comet/currys with all this hdmi shit. they said only a £40+ hdmi cable would work on my home cinema

Commission hungry idiots.
TBH most folk probably don't have a clue and just want a new TV will buy a £40-£50 3ft cable as they will have been spoon fed the bullshit for about an hour.
Deadude

21st Jan 09 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i went with my dad to pick a tv from comet the guy was like well there normally 80 but i can do it you for £40. I said well i can buy one for a fiver. HE said well ours provide a better signal bla bla. When we went out back to put tv in car he said sorry for trying to sell us shit cable
Dom

21st Jan 09 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pablo
Na it made a visibal difference to my system. So quate and show me links to whatever you want, wont change the fact it improved the picture will it.

Probably the placebo effect of being bent over and sold a cable that is no better than something that is 5th of the price
Carl

21st Jan 09 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Deadude
when i went with my dad to pick a tv from comet the guy was like well there normally 80 but i can do it you for £40. I said well i can buy one for a fiver. HE said well ours provide a better signal bla bla. When we went out back to put tv in car he said sorry for trying to sell us shit cable

I hope you called him a cunt.
xa0s
Banned

22nd Jan 09 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So... Anyone else want to argue?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll