corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » computer problem - any suggestions

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author computer problem - any suggestions
bigD21

User status: Offline
21st Nov 08 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had my pc around a year or so now, so bit of a crappy setup by todays standards. Recently the pc has been sounding like its about ready to take off - its the chipset fan and Im in the process of replacing it but every now and again the pc just decides to shut itself down completely also, my external HDD is taking alot longer to transfer files, and often crashes when attempting to open a file using WMP across the external HDD. When i connect it to the laptop everything HDD related works fine. any suggestions as to what might be causing this?
Bart

21st Nov 08 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it winxp? Sounds like a fresh install of windows would do it well. Failing that, a disk clean up, defrag etc will be worthwhile, switch off as many programs as you can running in your taskbar.
Kurt

21st Nov 08 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it getting hot? i know when my laptop gets too warm it throws a hissy fit and shuts down
andy1868

22nd Nov 08 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

replace the processor fan as it sounds like its getting too warm, get one thats bigger than your original one if needs be, this would explain it powering off (to protect itself if it does get too warm) slow transfer of data etc.

another thing, where is the PC at the minute? move it somewhere where it can get more airflow as they hate stuffy conditions with no movement of air, keeping it in a cupboard is a classic case of where it shouldn't be etc

[Edited on 22-11-2008 by andy1868]
bigD21

22nd Nov 08 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah it was originally in a desk but it has been moved now. I'm running Vista at the moment :-/ Would the pc shut itself down automatically if the chipset fan wasnt working properly? As thats where the jet engine noise is coming from!
Reedy

22nd Nov 08 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bigD21
yeah it was originally in a desk but it has been moved now. I'm running Vista at the moment :-/ Would the pc shut itself down automatically if the chipset fan wasnt working properly? As thats where the jet engine noise is coming from!

It would depend if its the northbridge or the southbridge chipset, in any case if it got really hot then it would shut down. Also you probably have Thermal Throttling enabled on your motherboard, which means when the processor gets hot, it clocks down ( slows down the processor cycle speed ).
Also if your replacing your chipset fan, its a motherboard out job, also there is some good universal kits out on the net so it should be easy enough to get one cheap.
Just when you do it, make sure you have a set of pliers ready.
Anthony

22nd Nov 08 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take your side panel off and clean the fans up. also i would get a 2 x 80mm case fans for a bit of extra air. they cost no more than £5. I would clean the case and fans out every moth or so to stop any overheating problems.

New Poll