corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Broadband without a BT line - recommendations please

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Broadband without a BT line - recommendations please
jrsteeve

User status: Offline
   2nd Sep 08 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who offers unlimited downloads (or near enough) for a decent price without a BT line? Can't be Virgin as they're not in the area yet.

jrsteeve

2nd Sep 08 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ps i have googled it but want some honest opinions
Dom

2nd Sep 08 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good luck

If you're not in a cabled area then it's a BT line and ADSL. Only other choices is ISDN, Two-Way Sat (about 30 a month if you can qualify for BT's cheap broadband, gets you a connection at 512k or so), lease line (about a £500-1000+ a month), microwave link (silly money). Could see if you have wireless in your area (WiMax), unlikely as i think trials are still going on in London.
jrsteeve

2nd Sep 08 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

problem is its not for me it for my moaning tenants who want me to pay for the BT connection (£125).

What does LLU mean? Seen bulldog offer broadband and a phone service with much lower setup costs etc but its not clear if a BT line needs to have been present before hand.
Dom

2nd Sep 08 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jrsteeve
problem is its not for me it for my moaning tenants who want me to pay for the BT connection (£125).

What does LLU mean? Seen bulldog offer broadband and a phone service with much lower setup costs etc but its not clear if a BT line needs to have been present before hand.

LLU means that an ISP has it's own equipment in you local telephone exchange, meaning that they don't have to use BT network - basically saves them cash and potentially you.
You're going to have to pay the £125 to get the line activated - then you can use TalkTalk etc where you pay them for the monthly line rental and internet service (looks as if that's what Bulldog is offer).

Have you phone up BT, as you might beable to get them to haggle on the price. Might also be worth joing a forum like thinkbroadband.com and asking on there if there's ways of getting the connection fee down.
jrsteeve

2nd Sep 08 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ta. There're a few LLU's in the area so have told them to contact them.

U sure the BT line needs to have been switched on by BT? All the cabling is there, its just never been used.
Brett
Premium Member

2nd Sep 08 at 21:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just give them a usb broadband modem.
Dom

2nd Sep 08 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jrsteeve
Ta. There're a few LLU's in the area so have told them to contact them.

U sure the BT line needs to have been switched on by BT? All the cabling is there, its just never been used.

im 90% sure that BT have to activate the line, like i say might be worth having a look on that thinkbroadband site and post a thread up in the forums
WATSON

2nd Sep 08 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had same problem, had to get BT to turn the line on. You will have to pay the £125 buddy.

they are wankers too they take months aswell, i had loads of problems with them
jrsteeve

2nd Sep 08 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by WATSON
I had same problem, had to get BT to turn the line on. You will have to pay the £125 buddy.

they are wankers too they take months aswell, i had loads of problems with them

DOHHHH!! I've told them to look into it and get back to me if they get stuck. Not paying the whole thing but may go halves. Or just tell em to get mobile broadband.
chris_uk
Premium Member

2nd Sep 08 at 22:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you have sky you may beable to get sky to pay if you take out their BB
dannymccann

3rd Sep 08 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hang on! If the line is in it doesnt cost anything to activate it? It didnt me, they even came out and installed a new 'Test' socket for me as it wasnt even connected up, didnt charge me anything

- Also im a tenant, why have you not provided a phone line for your 'customers'?

[Edited on 03-09-2008 by dannymccann]
jrsteeve

3rd Sep 08 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
Hang on! If the line is in it doesnt cost anything to activate it? It didnt me, they even came out and installed a new 'Test' socket for me as it wasnt even connected up, didnt charge me anything

- Also im a tenant, why have you not provided a phone line for your 'customers'?

[Edited on 03-09-2008 by dannymccann]

I've not heard of anyone getting it free before (i'm a letting agent). Not up for paying 125quid for something i'll get no real benefit from, plus there's no law forcing me to do so. If they can't sort anything without the BT line then i'll go halves but not payin the whole thing!
Dean_W

3rd Sep 08 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say that a telephone is not an 'essential' item. So if they want it, surely they'd have to pay for it?
dannymccann

3rd Sep 08 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Suppose so, all i know is im in a rented place and there was no line plumbed into the property (the cabling was there, all it needed was activating and a new box wiring up) and BT came and did the next day, 2 friendly blokes came and rewired it in, tested it to make sure its working right and even gave me a new number cos the one BT gave me had been assigned to a local government department
jrsteeve

3rd Sep 08 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Suppose so, all i know is im in a rented place and there was no line plumbed into the property (the cabling was there, all it needed was activating and a new box wiring up) and BT came and did the next day, 2 friendly blokes came and rewired it in, tested it to make sure its working right and even gave me a new number cos the one BT gave me had been assigned to a local government department

Sounds like you were just lucky mate. I work mostly with apartments and they always have the physical lines installed but need activating by BT cos most of them are new. They are bastards charging that much for pressing a button
dannymccann

3rd Sep 08 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know its stupid, i just made out on the phone 'oh im so poor because im a student' 'oh if you need £125 off me for activating the line I guess I will have to cancel my BB and phone contract with you and go to Virgin'

After a little while they put me through to several different departments where i kept giving my sob story, got through to some woman who did a 'line check test' (something like that) and, guess what Suddenly, oh no Mr McCann it seems it isnt as technical as originally believed and for the level of work needed there is no charge to be levied.

Yea but it was fine until i started complaining wasnt it, robbing bastards GTF
jrsteeve

3rd Sep 08 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I know its stupid, i just made out on the phone 'oh im so poor because im a student' 'oh if you need £125 off me for activating the line I guess I will have to cancel my BB and phone contract with you and go to Virgin'

After a little while they put me through to several different departments where i kept giving my sob story, got through to some woman who did a 'line check test' (something like that) and, guess what Suddenly, oh no Mr McCann it seems it isnt as technical as originally believed and for the level of work needed there is no charge to be levied.

Yea but it was fine until i started complaining wasnt it, robbing bastards GTF

lol i'll give it a go then

ps they are shit cos i've just moved my phone line from one place to another. I can make calls but there's a fault with the ringer at the exchange so i don't know i people ring me - and its my fucking business line. Badgers!
Richie

4th Sep 08 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get the cheapest Sky TV package available and one of their broadband packages. Little while ago they had a deal on that would credit your account with £125 (essentially pays for the BT line connection) in order for you to get Sky TV and broadband.

Robbo

4th Sep 08 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Biggest allowance on our mobile broadband is 5GB per month
jrsteeve

4th Sep 08 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys, got some options now so'll see what happens

New Poll