corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Rent to Buy and Right to Buy Mortgages

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rent to Buy and Right to Buy Mortgages
deano87

User status: Offline
18th Aug 08 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure if they're the correct terms, but it's the basic principle of a Housing Association owning part of your house, then you pay both rent and the mortgage for a set period, or rent for 3 - 5 years, then get a 35% discount on the house etc.

Does anyone have a mortgage through one such scheme? Is it a Housing Association one or a private builders contribution type mortgage?!

I'm a pretty long way off having my own place due to still being a student, but I am one for planning for the future and am just really concerned about getting on the property ladder, what with the current economic situation, rising house prices etc. When I graduate and start earning, I want to try and refrain from renting, because it's money that I could be saving for my own place.

The only reason I'm asking now is because I'm always thinking about the future, but also a colleague at work has just moved into a place with one such scheme/mortgage, and they enquired about 3 weeks ago, so it's really quick i.e. not saving up for a deposit for 2 - 3 years etc.

So yeah does anyone not have a 'normal' mortgage?!

[Edited on 18-08-2008 by deano87]
ash_corsa

18th Aug 08 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More commonly called 'shared ownership' mate

theres loads of deals about at the moment will all sorts of % of ownership from 75%-25%!!

Can be expensive paying a mortgage + rent on the same house plus if you do the government thing you have to meet strict criteria iirc.
Alot of builders are doing the same deals too
ash_corsa

18th Aug 08 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And you'll still need atleast a 5% deposit mate, 10% ideally
deano87

19th Aug 08 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The guy at work moved in without a deposit though

I think it was to get the apartments occupied though.
ash_corsa

19th Aug 08 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some builders will pay towards a deposit
but now you cant get 100% mortguages you either need your own deposit or the builder to pay it for you
Dean_W

20th Aug 08 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ash_corsa
More commonly called 'shared ownership' mate

theres loads of deals about at the moment will all sorts of % of ownership from 75%-25%!!

Can be expensive paying a mortgage + rent on the same house

Wrong....it's cheaper, thats the point. A motgage to buy the whole of my house (160K less 15K deposit = 145K) would come out at £800. I currently pay £310 mortgage then £140 rent, so it's loads cheaper.

plus if you do the government thing you have to meet strict criteria iirc.

You do with any. You can't be earning 50K a year and get a shared ownership home. You have to meet criteria such are you not on mega money, do you have pets as some places don't allow, are you a young couple, single etc. Every scheme is different.

Alot of builders are doing the same deals too

Any questions Deano, fire away mate. I'm pretty good at this shared ownership lark

[Edited on 20-08-2008 by Dean_W]
Tommy L

20th Aug 08 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do bills work out? ie water, electric?

How do you go about shared ownership?
Dean_W

21st Aug 08 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_tomtom
How do bills work out? ie water, electric?

How do you go about shared ownership?

Bills are paid for by you as normal.

You need to find out who your local shared ownership scheme is then go from there. You need to be vetted, then you can put an offer in on a house. Houses are sold as normal in estate agents.
Conway563

21st Aug 08 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been looking into this but everytime I've gone to an estate agents they've asked what type of mortgage I'll have and when saying shared ownership they say theres only a couple of houses available for that. Don't really want any of the ones they offer as there about 15 miles away from where I live now but I've heard there's an open market thing where you buy a house on the normal market
Dean_W

21st Aug 08 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Conway563
I've been looking into this but everytime I've gone to an estate agents they've asked what type of mortgage I'll have and when saying shared ownership they say theres only a couple of houses available for that.

Bit confuzzled by that.......Shared ownership isn't a type of mortgage. It's a type of ownership.
Conway563

21st Aug 08 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just going from what I was told when I first spoke to someone about it. Got a letter the other day to say I was eligible for shared ownership so should really get off my ass and sort something out about it
Dean_W

21st Aug 08 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you speak to the association that vetted you they should be able to give you a list of properties that are for sale
deano87

21st Aug 08 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I spoke to my colleague at work today a bit more in depth.

It seems a funny situation. It's a private housing development, with Housing Association dwellings (nothing strange). But they have given a 'retail' value on the houses.

All he has had to do is pay 2 months rent up front as a deposit, then, pays rent for 3 - 5 years. After this period, he gets a 35% discount off the retail of the flat.

So he can then buy the flat at the discounted rate. But he still needs to find a deposit for the remainder in that time, of which 10% will be about £16k.

I'd prefer the scenario where you pay rent and the mortgage at the same time.

Dean, when you decide you want a bigger share of the house, what do you do? And did you need a deposit to move in where you now live?
AndyKent

22nd Aug 08 at 07:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The difference with mortgages needed for shared ownership schemes is that if you default, the bank is in a difficult situation with regard to getting their money back.

Usually they can just sell the house on to recoup their loses but with a second owner (the housing association) its a bit more long winded.

You'll need a mortgage geared up for shared ownership schemes from whoever happens to be offering them at the time.
Dean_W

26th Aug 08 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87

It seems a funny situation. It's a private housing development, with Housing Association dwellings (nothing strange). But they have given a 'retail' value on the houses.

All he has had to do is pay 2 months rent up front as a deposit, then, pays rent for 3 - 5 years. After this period, he gets a 35% discount off the retail of the flat.

So he can then buy the flat at the discounted rate. But he still needs to find a deposit for the remainder in that time, of which 10% will be about £16k.

Dean, when you decide you want a bigger share of the house, what do you do? And did you need a deposit to move in where you now live?

Aye, seems a bit of a funny one with your mate, not heard that one before. Seems a bit long winded and a pain in the arse.

When you want a bigger share, you let them know. They then value the house and then you can buy in 25% increments. I own 50% so I could go to 75% or 100% ownership. You re-mortgage for the amount needed then pay them for it. Solicitors fees and stuff i'm not too sure on.

I put down a large deposit, but if you can get a 100% mortgage on a shared ownership then you wouldn't need to. You don't have to leave a deposit for the half you rent either.
Dean_W

26th Aug 08 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by aPk
You'll need a mortgage geared up for shared ownership schemes from whoever happens to be offering them at the time.

About 12 months ago a lot of banks were offering shared ownership mortgages due to silly house prices.
AndyKent

26th Aug 08 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dean_W
quote:
Originally posted by deano87

Aye, seems a bit of a funny one with your mate, not heard that one before. Seems a bit long winded and a pain in the arse.

When you want a bigger share, you let them know. They then value the house and then you can buy in 25% increments. I own 50% so I could go to 75% or 100% ownership. You re-mortgage for the amount needed then pay them for it. Solicitors fees and stuff i'm not too sure on.

I put down a large deposit, but if you can get a 100% mortgage on a shared ownership then you wouldn't need to. You don't have to leave a deposit for the half you rent either.

So in a good market you're actually loosing money? ie. you buy 'half' for 50k. 5 years later they value the next 25% at 30k meaning you're 5k down already. Sounds like a pretty poor deal to me!
Dean_W

27th Aug 08 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can loose money on any house

New Poll