corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Engine cutting out randomly...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Engine cutting out randomly...
xa0s
Banned

User status: Offline
13th Mar 08 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been working on Graham88's Corsa today, and we decided to take it for a spin as it has been running fine and stuff... All was going well, and then it just cut out... Lost the revs. Dunno what else to say... Rolled to a stop, and it started after a few seconds.

Then 5 mins later, it done it again, and then again...

The 5th time it happened, we couldn't start it again, so had to tow it home. We run the battery flat from trying. Jump started it and started instantly, and idled fine for ages until we turned it off.

I really dunno what else to say...
luke85

13th Mar 08 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Crank sensors can give gandom faults as the car warms up and as soon as the ECU stops seeing the signal, the engine will cut out. Best way to tell is to watch the revs while it has cut out, assume your in 3rd gear coasting to a stop with the engine still doing say 2kRPM then the rev counter should still show the same RPM even if the engine isnt firing.

You could check for fault codes to see if theres anything obvious but as far as I know the crank sensor is the only sensor the engine cant run without.

Does the car have an aftermarket immobiliser?
xa0s
Banned

13th Mar 08 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, it does... How would that effect it?
xa0s
Banned

13th Mar 08 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...and why would it suddenly start fucking up?
Warren G

13th Mar 08 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you tried a map sensor?

can bring one to the rr if need be

this only happened after the engine change, yes??

do you have all your old sensors?

tape that vacum hose up too, only need to be a pin prick to casue a fault

1.0 12v crank sensor are known for making the car cut out, then resart after a fwe minutes

does it only cut out on no throttle?
xa0s
Banned

13th Mar 08 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It won't be going to the RR mate, unless we can sort the problem. We tried a new map sensor today, although we only tried it on idle (before we knew about the problem). That might be worth a go tomorrow, cheers for the idea.

Yeah, it only happened after the engine change, and we're using the old sensors.

It cuts out when you let off (only sometimes, though) -- it's fine when you keep it planted, but once it goes, it's gone!
Warren G

13th Mar 08 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in that case run it on the rollers

graham has a u2u btw

he also had that problem with the crank sensor didnt he, wounder if its related to that

s the ml still coming on? recheck the codes?
Graham88

14th Mar 08 at 04:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How can I get it to the rollers is the problem

I must have driven about 10 miles in it, it cut out 4 times. And each time it was harder to get started! Then I ran back to my house, got the Fez, towed it to my garage, and it started straight away with jump leads. So strange

I gotta check the codes tomorrow mate, I'll probably give you a ring for some expert advice!

New Poll