corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » FAO: Graphic/Web Designers

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FAO: Graphic/Web Designers
AdZ9

User status: Offline
18th Feb 08 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, its coming up to my 2yrs in my current job. I've been here gaining experience so I can then go on and find a better studio, recently i've also been looking at the possibility of going freelance.

So its that time where i'm having to update my portfolio print/online, my CV etc. I haven't done this since I was at college. I haven't really kept up with design websites/useful sites over the past 2 yrs as this job has dulled down my creativity quite alot as its so easy as i work for a publishers.

What i'm asking for is a any websites designers on here use and look at regularly, also paste your own portfolio site if you have one and lets have a look at it. My old one which is super out of date is www.lakerdesigns.co.uk , my new website is going to be as simple as that but make it a bit more interactive, i'm a firm believer that a portfolio site should be quick and easy for people to just see your work etc.

I've been looking at www.cssmania.com this morning, looking at some of the amazing websites on there!

*edit* I'm not sure how many designers are actually on this forum, I only really know that JonnyJ and dave17 are designers, hopefully theres others which can give me some sites etc.

[Edited on 18-02-2008 by AdZ9]
drax

18th Feb 08 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

www.faveup.com

cssremix.com

logopond.com

www.anthonybliss.co.uk not really a portfolio site that is finished, just something i add to now and then.
AdZ9

18th Feb 08 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers, i like the logopond site, some good things on there!

I was going to do a site with more than portfolio on it, like a blog i could keep etc, but then i decided im not going to im just going to keep it simple. The people at work like mine as it is as its simple and does all it needs to do, but i need to show off my creativity more, and what better way is there than the website its on
liamC

18th Feb 08 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love your work mate - especially the Puma Italy/Japan tshirts
CorsAsh

18th Feb 08 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was on creativepool for a while, there seem to be a fair few GDs registered. Can't hurt to add your lot to the pile.
AdZ9

18th Feb 08 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats creativepool ash?

Just been chatting with my dad, explaining how i want to look at more freelancing and side jobs at first, looking into a mac now, may get a mac mini to start as i can use a switch box on my 21" widescreen monitor now.

Use a mac all day at work and come home to a pc, need to keep my design on one operating system i think!
AdZ9

18th Feb 08 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by liamC
Love your work mate - especially the Puma Italy/Japan tshirts

Cheers mate its pretty dated now, it was chosen by Puma and they loved the idea, but they were already doing something similar with the football at the time so nothing came of it
drax

18th Feb 08 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No need to use a mac Adz, unless you want to crash allot and do everything you can do on windows alot slower

Dont be tainted by your work, they shouldnt be using AppleGays anyway
Cosmo

18th Feb 08 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drax
No need to use a mac Adz, unless you want to crash allot and do everything you can do on windows alot slower

FPMSL...in the 3yrs Ive had a Mac Ive had about 1 crash. Where as with a Windows PC (more powerful too) it used to happen fairly regularly.
dna23

18th Feb 08 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some nice inspiration:

http://emotionslive.co.uk/

http://www.dinis91.com/

http://foxie.ru/

http://www.thismanslife.co.uk/

http://www.vivabit.com/atmedia2006/

http://www.morellc.com/
Laney

19th Feb 08 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Ever used a Mac?!
AdZ9

19th Feb 08 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My work macs fine but its alot better than what i'd have at home, i have the new mac pro at work. The reason i need/want one at home is so i can keep my design on one operating system. I learnt how to design and PS etc on PC but then learnt macs when at college/work and as i use a mac all day i need to get one to keep working on outside of work.

My best option at the moment is to just get a a mac book and at home plug into my monitor etc and then its also portable if i need to take it somewhere.

Cheers dna for those links, going to look through them this morning
drax

19th Feb 08 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Laney
quote:

Ever used a Mac?!

?!??! Yes I have funny boy, they are slower than pc's, the operating system is slower, the architecture is slower, and lets see, they're all built by intel now anyway

All you're paying for in a mac is the big shiney casing, and to be a pretencious cunt and say " Ooh I have a mac, i dont get virus'"

Well I use a computer, it is faster than a mac, it doesnt crash, if it does crash its because of something using it to its fullest capacity like a game ( which a mac cant fucking do properly ) And its what the rest of the client base you'll be working for will be using mostly.

You'll get a completely useless 7% increase in contrast using a mac, a bunch of files which dont work with anything other than a mac, a browser which is plain old bullshit. If you're developing for the web then you should think about your end users and the majority of what their specifications are and how you can achieve something for them. Rather than what makes your room look more pompous.
Laney

19th Feb 08 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
?!??! Yes I have funny boy, they are slower than pc's, the operating system is slower, the architecture is slower, and lets see, they're all built by intel now anyway

All you're paying for in a mac is the big shiney casing, and to be a pretencious cunt and say " Ooh I have a mac, i dont get virus'"

Well I use a computer, it is faster than a mac, it doesnt crash, if it does crash its because of something using it to its fullest capacity like a game ( which a mac cant fucking do properly ) And its what the rest of the client base you'll be working for will be using mostly.

You'll get a completely useless 7% increase in contrast using a mac, a bunch of files which dont work with anything other than a mac, a browser which is plain old bullshit. If you're developing for the web then you should think about your end users and the majority of what their specifications are and how you can achieve something for them. Rather than what makes your room look more pompous.

Sounds like someone wasn't hugged enough as a child.

If you're gonna get a Macbook get an extra 1gig of ram in it

New Poll