corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Choosing a NAS...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Choosing a NAS...
Doug

User status: Offline
27th Nov 07 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all,

Im struggling to pin point the exact NAS for my needs!

I have a large amount of TV shows and movies all in .avi format, I want to have these stored on the network so that I can access them with a Netgear EVA8000 media streamer and from other computers on the network.
There are also alot of MP3's on there that I may want to be able to use with a squeeze box in the future, but thats down the line and only a slight possibility. So if the NAS would run slimserver (think thats what I need, not really sure) then thats a bonus.

Storage wise I want at least 2 drives, It will have 2x 500gb drives in it to start with. I don't want RAID though. I want the 2 drives to both appear as separate drives if thats possible.

Is it possible to use it to download torrents with? Can I download them directly onto the NAS? how would I un-zip/rar folders? If thats possible to do then I wouldnt mind that being on the functions list!

Features I want:
- 2 x Drive bays
- I want to be able to password folders
- remote access to it would be a nice little feature
- ability to run Slimserver in the future
- iTunes server if poss
- Torrents if poss

I dont want to go crazy on cost as TBH I dont need that much functionality from it, I assume thats not a massive amount of functionality?

SO

The NAS's I have been looking at so far have been:

D-Link DNS-323
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124390

Would need 2x drives to install into it

Western Digital MyBook World 1.5TB
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131442

Any ideas if this is a 2 drive unit? it says its user serviceable but i dont know if it has one drive or two, and if it can be expended in the future

Q-Nap TS 209 normal or pro
http://scan.co.uk/search/search.asp?criteria=QNAP+TS-209&Submit=Go

Not sure which one I would need, would either one fill my functional requirements better than the other? Again i would need to put drives into it and this really is top end of my budget!

I forgot to add....

I have a western digital 500gb External HDD at the moment, I really like the way the drive spins down when its not being used! Thats a major feature that I would like to see in the NAS. Also if the external HDD could be connected to the NAS and used as a backup device for instance?

New Poll