corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » changing just disc's

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author changing just disc's
davcohen

User status: Offline
18th Sep 07 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wanting to sell my car very soon so took it to get the MOT renewed however it failed on pitted front disc's is it possible to just change them for new ones without bleeding the brakes or does that have to be done regardless

baring in mind i am not changing the pads
corsasriboy

18th Sep 07 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doubt u will need to bleed the brakes.i changed mine without bleeding the brakes so i hope you dont need to!Lol,seem to work fine.
carnuts

18th Sep 07 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont have to bleed the brakes mate just take the brake fluid cap off and push the piston back on the caliper change the disc whack it all back together and pump the peddle up
Limecat
Banned

18th Sep 07 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pitted discs? Must be VERY heavily pitted as I often leave cars sat for months then left-foot brake them on the way to the MOT centre and they pass fine.

As carnuts says, cap off and wind the piston in (can use a g-clamp), you may well need an impact drive for the retention screw on the disc. I personally do it by removing the 2 x 10mm hex keys from the back. If changing the discs it is worth doing pads for the sake of £10/12 for pattern parts.

Any pictures of this failure pitting?
johnhara1

19th Sep 07 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You dont need to bleed the brakes if your just changing the discs but as said, make sure you take the cap off the fluid resevoir so the pistons can be pushed back.

It's worth replacing the pads too if your discs are damaged they could be too.
davcohen

19th Sep 07 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LETGSI16V
Any pictures of this failure pitting? [/quote

i will try getting some pictures tomz, i guess they look a bit pitted although i took it for a good drive yesterday so ill recheck them

reason i just wanted to change the disc's is because i have dont really know how to change brakes, i have never done it by myself but the disc seemed like the easiest option, by removing the two bolts of the caliper then the single screw lining up the disc
carnuts

19th Sep 07 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you get too lost mate give me a shout and i will come give you a ahnd if your local im north london too
davcohen

23rd Sep 07 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok had a few jobs to do before tackling the front discs, i got one disc off and noticed the pads have atleast 75% of life left in them

anyway replaced one disc and pushed the pad and piston back and got it all bolted back on however when trying to turn it, seemed very hard is this normal as the other untouched side seemed fine???

or does everything sort itself out after the engine is started and you drive a little?

New Poll