corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Rear disc conversion

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rear disc conversion
Marc

User status: Offline
4th Feb 04 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wonder what my car would be like with rear drums
Andy

4th Feb 04 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You also need to remember you drive a 4WD lard-assed brute of a car, not a relatively modestly powered ickle FWD car
Marc

4th Feb 04 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hehe
Dave

4th Feb 04 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fitted rear disks on mine mainly for cosmetics. I bought a full car for £400 for the donor engine so they were effectively free, as I had them sat there I thought I might aswell put them on.

I have Wilwood Dynalite 4pots and 285mm disks on front though.

Andy, I notice you have the same brakes, how do you find them? To me they seem to have plenty of power but lack initial bite and need a fair amount of pressure on pedal. Also which pads do you use for road use? I have a feeling I got track pads with mine (I bought them private as a full kit) as they take quite a while to warm up.
nik

4th Feb 04 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have drums front and rear
Chris P

4th Feb 04 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BabyBlade

4th Feb 04 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my 50cc had drums front and back i think? cant actually remember
Andy

4th Feb 04 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaDave
I fitted rear disks on mine mainly for cosmetics. I bought a full car for £400 for the donor engine so they were effectively free, as I had them sat there I thought I might aswell put them on.

I have Wilwood Dynalite 4pots and 285mm disks on front though.

Andy, I notice you have the same brakes, how do you find them? To me they seem to have plenty of power but lack initial bite and need a fair amount of pressure on pedal. Also which pads do you use for road use? I have a feeling I got track pads with mine (I bought them private as a full kit) as they take quite a while to warm up.

Dave - I find them good. I use Wilwoods Poly Matrix Q pads - they have lots of bite, but I have had a bit of fade when braking hard from high speed down steep descents I may experiment with some higher temp pads for the track. What pads do you use??
Adam-D

4th Feb 04 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what parts are needed for a rear disk conversion?

Dave

4th Feb 04 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not sure and I don't have the car here to check, I bought them off someone who was going to put them on a LET Nova but decided he wanted 6pots instead, they hadn't even been fitted.

The guy who fitted them for me told me that he thought they were track pads and they would take some warming up (he was right)!

I think from memory they are black on the back but I'm not 100% on this.

Where do you get your pads from?
Andy

4th Feb 04 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rally Design.
Joff

4th Feb 04 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems I'm a bit late to add my 2p's worth, but I agree that changing the rear drums to discs should be the last thing on your mind if you're after better brakes.

The most fundamental way of improving braking performance is to increase the friction surface of the disc.
Add to that vented discs instead of solid, uprated calipers and pads with a better compound and you should be seeing massive improvements compared to just changing the rear drums to discs which Andy's said are mainly cosmetic on a Corsa.

Daimo, if you're saying that to get a rear disc conversion, all you have to do is find car x for "nothing" then surely you can say that you can get a Ferrari for £50 tops - all you'd need to do is find one for nothing...

True you can probably find the parts you need for around that price, but realistically it's going to cost more than that.
Andy

4th Feb 04 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes - I was going to invite Daimo along to do my rear disc conversion and offer him £50
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Feb 04 at 23:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It can be done for very little. The parts are cheap enough off a donor car and brackets can be fabricated for very little if you're handy with a welder.

Its also worth considering that a fair number of people who fit a valver do so by buying an entire car. This makes taking the brakes as Dave has a fairly cheap operation.

I'm also going to say at this stage that while I agree the main way of improving overall braking power is to upgrade the front, there is also a major cosmetic reason why the drums must go.

There are also nice ways of saying things that don't annoy me as someone trying to police a web site which isn't a full on bitch piss take session. Most of vibrios incessant crap talk has been trashed for that reason.

[Edited on 04-02-2004 by Ian]
Andy

4th Feb 04 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, but to be fair Ian, the thread originator has a 1.4 Corsa and is thinking of doing this conversion now - not when he swaps the engine. He also hasn't upgraded his front brakes and talks of a PVD conversion kit, which is considerably more expensive than £50
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Feb 04 at 23:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good point well put Andy.

Ross, take note.
Pete G

5th Feb 04 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

(right get ready for a thread hi-jack)
seeing as were on about front brake's i was thinkin of upgrading mine. i was thinkin of geting sum 288mm (v6 brake disc's me thinks) and using sum Wilwood 4pot calaper's (sorry can't spell) is this a wise's choise or should i buy a big disc upgrade which include's the big disc's and calaper's??? i'm just wanting ppl's view's

thanx
vibrio
Banned

5th Feb 04 at 00:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Good point well put Andy.

Ross, take note.

I pointed this out however I suspect it was not in the same nice way as Andy put it

there was not talk of putting bigger discs on the front. uprating the rear and not the front will mean the brake bias will have to be adjusted. this would remove any advantage that having rear discs have.

Edited to remove every bit of spare white space, Christ.

[Edited on 05-02-2004 by Ian]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Rear disc conversion 23 database queries in 0.0146441 seconds