corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Reducing your carbon footprint further...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Reducing your carbon footprint further...
Doug

User status: Offline
27th Jul 07 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When your screen is white - an empty word page, or the Google page, your computer consumes 74 watts, and when its black it consumes only 59 watts. Mark Ontkush wrote an article about the energy saving that would be achieved if Google had a black screen, taking in account the huge number of page views, according to his calculations, 750 mega watts/hour per year would be saved.

In a response to this article Google created a black version of its search engine, called Blackle, with the exact same functions as the white version, but with a lower energy consumption, check it out.

http://www.blackle.com/

Do you reckon thats true?
John

27th Jul 07 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not read it yet but the backlight is always on on the screen anyway, unless its uses that much more to display a white pixel than a black pixel then I doubt it.
Dom

27th Jul 07 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I've not read it yet but the backlight is always on on the screen anyway, unless its uses that much more to display a white pixel than a black pixel then I doubt it.

This is only for CRT monitors where power consumption is higher depending on the brightness (ie: a white screen). On a LCD monitor, the backlight is continiously on and there is no difference in power consumption between a black and white pixel (a black pixel is the LCD blocking out the backlight).
Leighton

27th Jul 07 at 10:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Blackle was created by Heap Media to remind us all of the need to take small steps in our everyday lives to save energy

it was not done by Google
Steve
Premium Member

27th Jul 07 at 10:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the website isnt created by google, its created by heap media, and it just links to a custom google search when you search
ed

27th Jul 07 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well done for copying and pasting the about page.
Bart

27th Jul 07 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as posted, its google custom search, exactly the same as ive added into my Website.
dannymccann

27th Jul 07 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whether its true or not, for me its harder to read light on dark background than it is dark on light background so i wont be using it

New Poll