corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Racing clutches

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Racing clutches
broster
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th Jun 07 at 16:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vxlgsi
got a standard clutch in our gte track car its done 74000 miles and has done over 500 miles of major track abuse with no problems.

[Edited on 29-06-2007 by vxlgsi]

thats said iv seen a bmw 330d sport tourer loose all drive when driven on track with the standard clutch, low milage, managed 1 hour before it packed up, left it for a while and it was fine after it cooled down, infact it lasted about 30k of normal driving..........
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Online
29th Jun 07 at 16:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

It sounds like you have no clue about clutches so ill leave you to it, sorry for trying to help.

Clearly
vxlgsi

29th Jun 07 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We get clutches mad especially all the time for customers.. we use sachs motorsport.... having "on off" clutches is just crap and completely unnessecary.
vxlgsi

29th Jun 07 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
quote:
got a standard clutch in our gte track car its done 74000 miles and has done over 500 miles of major track abuse with no problems.

thats said iv seen a bmw 330d sport tourer loose all drive when driven on track with the standard clutch, low milage, managed 1 hour before it packed up, left it for a while and it was fine after it cooled down, infact it lasted about 30k of normal driving..........

happens all the time at the pod just get over heated, but i still say its down to carless driving. allot of the bite comes from what material is used.. race clutches are not designed for cast iron
broster
Premium Member

29th Jun 07 at 16:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and i have never worked on a highly spec'd engine so i dont know...... id want a clutch that wont overheat and slip regardless of my driving, when im on track i end not to drive like your nan.......

Robin
Premium Member

29th Jun 07 at 16:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mr Broster's Black Diamond clutch (which was new) used to slip under heavy load in his Corsa, it was hard work to drive because of this (it was adjusted correctly too, should have been fine) Too much power for it...

Paddle clutch in, no slipping, much better car to drive.

It's a tuned engine, the same as Butler is building, he's aiming for a bucket load of power, so he needs a decent clutch IMO, and a paddle clutch is the best way to go, instead of messing around with crappy 'fast road' ones.
vxlgsi

29th Jun 07 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you dont need anything special to have a good reliable clutch. its just when people think they need a powerfull clutch for whatever reason they just asume they need a paddle one. think of all the powerful production road cars out there that have nice light clutches.

Robin
Premium Member

29th Jun 07 at 16:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mark's clutch isn't heavy.
vxlgsi

29th Jun 07 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your building tuned 1.6's ie 200bhp, a twin plate 7 1/4 is the way to go

Robin
Premium Member

29th Jun 07 at 16:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
is it expensive?

Dunno, Helix I think, 6 paddle

[Edited on 29-06-2007 by Robin]
vxlgsi

29th Jun 07 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all the people we sell to that use for rally race and trackdays if they are serious use 7 1/4
broster
Premium Member

29th Jun 07 at 16:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hummmm....... a light clutch can be achieved by the use of a hydrolic slave cylinder........ makes life easier.... also if a car is designed to have 400bhp it will have the design to put the power down onto the road..

then again have you ever drive a 172cup, the clutch in those standard is harder work than my awful pointless waste of money paddle clutch.

i didnt want to go out and spend money on a clutch, but i needed to, it took the fun out of driving the car.

if you have more power than standard on a buget car you will need to improve things like brakes and clutchs, its pointless saying you dont need to because you do.

you cant compare a fast production car to a modified car.
vxlgsi

29th Jun 07 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok

broster
Premium Member

29th Jun 07 at 17:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
if your building tuned 1.6's ie 200bhp, a twin plate 7 1/4 is the way to go

you cant be serious! im aiming for 240+bhp with my spec NA 1.6 16v. i will be using a helix paddle clutch, i wont have monumental torque so i will not be needing a twin plate clutch..... yawn
broster
Premium Member

29th Jun 07 at 17:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
quote:
is it expensive?

Dunno, Helix I think, 6 paddle

[Edited on 29-06-2007 by Robin]

helix 4 paddle

vxlgsi, who do you work for out of interest

[Edited on 29-06-2007 by broster]
vxlgsi

29th Jun 07 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not sure that high torque is a reason to use a 7 1/4".... just dont worry about it i must be wrong, either that or not all paddle clutches are awfull to drive with
vxlgsi

29th Jun 07 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just out of interest who do you use for getting the head machined?
broster
Premium Member

29th Jun 07 at 17:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my head work was carried out at my work, Jamsport

i can see why a twin plate would be benificial, but unless your into serious motorsport i personally dont see the advantage, if i had alot of power to put down then yes again i would see it as a must.

paddle clutchs arn't that bad to drive with. there is alot of rubbish about clutchs floating around and yes people dont need a paddle clutch on their nans micra agreed, but its a nice relativly cheap upgrade to any track car IMO
vxlgsi

29th Jun 07 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive never been impressed with paddle clutches, we always get a sachs motorsport spec'd for poeple who want something a little bit better, also find if they do slip they fall apart.. so try to steer clear.
vxlgsi

29th Jun 07 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

glad its working for others though, 240bhp 1600 is ideal for track too

Butler

30th Jun 07 at 02:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Appreciate the advice. In all seriousness its nice to see the debate, obviously you both have different views and personal preferance is a crucial factor.

I am only assuming a twin plate would be more pricey than a paddle clutch. One that wont slip and handle track abuse well is good for me so the paddle clutch seems to be the right thing to go for, for now at least.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll