corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Wireless home networking crap

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wireless home networking crap
Jules

User status: Offline
15th Jun 07 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right - I've picked up a wifi laptop and I'd like to set my cable connection up so I'm able to wander round the house with my laptop and go online.
Now, I'm not fussed about making my desktop wireless - that can stay wired so I was thinking of getting one of these:
eBAY LINK

As it has these connections:

So I'm assuming I can ethernet port 1 for my desktop and use the wireless function for my laptop - or does it have to be one OR the other?

[Edited on 15-06-2007 by Jules]
Kerry

15th Jun 07 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got a similar setup as that and sometimes ive got 3 wired connections through ethernet and 2 wireless connections all running at once!!!

should be fine as long as your internet speed is good enough to cope?
Jules

15th Jun 07 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it's 10MB Kerry (going upto 20MB any day if not done already)
I'll more than likely only be using one or the other (computers) though as it'll be tricky for me to use two computers at once

[Edited on 15-06-2007 by Jules]
Kerry

15th Jun 07 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats more than quick enough i have all that running (not me using it all at once of course its all different people) and my internet speed is somat like 4mb
but you can leave the desktop plugged in the whole time and just connect wireless when and where u want in the house
Jules

15th Jun 07 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool, cheers Kezza!

*goes off to purchase wireless router*
ssj_kakarot

15th Jun 07 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whatever is wired will get the full internet speed, the wireless laptop probally wont get the full 10meg, depends on walls in house ect, i have 10 meg ntl and only get about 4-5 to the laptop.
MarkM

15th Jun 07 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats my exact set up Julian...

Wireless G router is the one you want...get a Belkin...never had a problem with mine...EVER...in 4.5 years of ownage...mine on a B rating though its that old...but its still going strong and I only have 4MB so im not changing it!!

[Edited on 15-06-2007 by MarkM]
MikeD

15th Jun 07 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id suggest a wireless router with builtin modem like the netgear DG834G
Jules

16th Jun 07 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Mark - but Julian?! teh fuck?! only my Mum calls me that when i'm in trouble!!
I'm not fussed about getting full speed on it - will only use it to play WoW somewhere other than my basement - in the living room, in the garden etc etc.

Mark and Mike - cheers but I'd rather go with a Linksys, had one of their routers when at my folks and it was fine, moved here (when me and my wife both had desktops) and got a Netgear one and it was a pile of shit, took it back and got a Linksys and it was spot on so I'm kind of wanting to stick with them
MarkM

17th Jun 07 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ha I called you Julian in jest...apologies

but yeah...go for what you know...this speed issue stuff people are talking about has never been a problem on my Netgear...as long as I have a signal be it weak or strong I still get my full download speeds etc...only thing that varies is the signal strength depending where I am in the house..but its always strong enough to connect me...

Only place I dont get a signal is at the bottom of my garden some 60-70 metres from the router which is at the front of the house so the signal needs to travel through 4 walls and obviously the distance...

New Poll