corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Scrap Computer Help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Scrap Computer Help
Rob_Corsa

User status: Offline
   6th Jan 07 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically my old pc had died and im told it the motherboard thats gone.

Its a 2 year old Acer Tower PC with 15" Acer Flatscreen, 2.6MHz, 256 Ram, CD R/W & DVD Combo drive, 3.5" floppy, 6 USB, Keyboard and Mouse. It was running XP and its all in mint condition(apart from the obvious).

Is it worth repairing to sell on(told it willl need motherboard, processor and ram as chances are its all smoked) or breaking up and selling bits?

If the later, is ebay the best place to sell?

Thanks
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Jan 07 at 12:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Monitor is perhaps 70 quid, other bits won't make much. You might be better selling complete as a not working system. Also less problematic than if you break for bits and sell the part that was causing the failure.
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Jan 07 at 12:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your monitor is this one then watch this - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160070055359
Rob_Corsa

6th Jan 07 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
If your monitor is this one then watch this - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160070055359

Many thanks for the advice.

IMonitor is the same as this one but silver;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acer-AL1511-White-15-inch-LCD-Monitor_W0QQitemZ290068680230QQihZ019QQcategoryZ3698QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem
MikeD

6th Jan 07 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if there is a model number on the motherboard, why not hae a look on ebay and see if any are going, then if its cheap sell the pc once you have fixed it?

I have to say whenever ive seen a motherboard go, the processor and RAM have always been ok
Rob_Corsa

6th Jan 07 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MikeD
if there is a model number on the motherboard, why not hae a look on ebay and see if any are going, then if its cheap sell the pc once you have fixed it?

I have to say whenever ive seen a motherboard go, the processor and RAM have always been ok

Not thought of that. The number on it is SF2/661FX but there aint any on ebay at the moment. Might keep an eye out for a week or to and see if one turns up. Im guessing if its the same motherboard i wont need to messs about getting XP to run properly as it will have all the right drivers already?
drax

6th Jan 07 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would cost about £40 to get another motherboard in there, could upgrade the ram as well for abit more whilst your at it.. nothing wrong with that machine if its just a basic computer and did you well before..

Altho saying that id try to work out why the motherboard has given up.. as its not just a usual occourance, normally something like a power surge would cause problems wtih the motherboard, or a short..

so the PSU might have developed a fault..

also alot of motherboards these days have surge protection

[Edited on 06-01-2007 by drax]
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Jan 07 at 17:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my experience the motheboard will either have blown other stuff or something will have blown to cause the board to go.
Andrew

6th Jan 07 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only way you can find out if any of the other components are in working order is to test them on another compatible system(s).

In my experience, if one thing goes wrong, you start to get other things going wrong. One of my systems the CPU went so i replaced it cheaply with one off eBay, then the memory went, so i replaced that with a new chip, then the motherboard died. Same with a laptop i've got, replaced the screen as the backlight went, now it keeps overheating and cutting out.

New Poll