corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Upgrading discs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Upgrading discs
dan_almond

User status: Offline
15th Nov 06 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got a 1.0 12v at the mo on standard discs and pads. I want better braking because my takes a week to pull up. If i wanted to go for 2.0 vented discs and calipers where should i get them from, and how much work is envolved to fit them?

if i just bought new calipers and discs, is it just a straight fit or does anything have to modified?

help
BarnshaW

15th Nov 06 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do u get enuf speed in a 12 volt to need better brakes? u can upgrade them tho, not sure about 2 litre brakes whether it would be worthwhile
dan_almond

15th Nov 06 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok, well something bigger thatn what ive got. how do i go about it ?
mattievRS

15th Nov 06 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think 2lt brakes would be a bit OTT to be honest.Why not go for 1.4 calipers and discs??Ive got a set you can have,if interested u2u me and ill sort out a modest price mate.
mattievRS

15th Nov 06 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry mate ill answer the second part of your question now!!!The calipers on vauxhalls seem to be inter changeable.Ive got a 1.4 and it has 2lt 16v discs and calipers and they went straight on too.The bigger the caliper,the bigger the piston on them is so the braking pressure is better.
ckallis500

15th Nov 06 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the bigger the better, just cuz it is a small engine does not meen its pointless putting big brakes on... you will need 14" or bigger wheels for the 2.ltr 256mm brakes.

put 2ltr 16v brakes on, u should get them cheap enough from the scrapy, they are a direct fit, just unbolt your caliper and pull the disc off then place the 2ltr disc on and bolt the 2ltr caliper on, bleed them and your away... i'll ahvea cheap set of 2ltr brakes for sale soon.. good discs n pads, prob about 25quid the lot... hope that helpschris
dan_almond

15th Nov 06 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so 2ltr brakes will fit my 12v?
daz_SRi

15th Nov 06 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they will, but personally i would listen to m17tty, 2.0 are a bit intense for that model, 1.4 or 1.6 brakes would be perfect
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Nov 06 at 22:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cant really go over the top with brakes imo. Upgrade to whatever you can - then will give you scope for performance increases in the future

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
mattievRS

15th Nov 06 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Cant really go over the top with brakes imo. Upgrade to whatever you can - then will give you scope for performance increases in the future

I do agree with the fact you cant go too big on brakes to a certain extent but would 2lt brakes not be a bit of a waste of time as theyre meant for a 2lt not a 1.2lt?its not going to ever need that kind of stopping power as its only a 1.2 and it aint going to set the streets on fire whatever the mods on the engine.Plus would it not be like throwing an anchor out of the boot when you brake?
Joe

15th Nov 06 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not true m17tty. I had a 2.0 setup on my 1.2 and they were spot on. Not over the top at all, if you drive entusiastically then your gona need decent brakes.

Go for the 2.0 setup dan, you won't regret it. Really good brakes.
mattievRS

15th Nov 06 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by joe6886
Not true m17tty. I had a 2.0 setup on my 1.2 and they were spot on. Not over the top at all, if you drive entusiastically then your gona need decent brakes.

Go for the 2.0 setup dan, you won't regret it. Really good brakes.

Fair play mate.
Cybermonkey

15th Nov 06 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2.0 setup anytime of you are thinking of upgrading. ALL of the standard Corsa brake setups were absolute dogshit

New Poll