corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Need Help...Bike Carbs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Need Help...Bike Carbs
sinnerboy

User status: Offline
4th Nov 06 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all,
Was onto Bogg Bros the other day about getting bike carbs for my 1400 sport and ive decided im going to go for them, hopefully be ordering them monday. They gave me a price of 380, thats for manifold and carbs. Just want to know what else do i need in order to get them up and going and has anybody fitted them to a 1.4 on here?

All help appreciated

Sean
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

4th Nov 06 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you will need quite a few more bits, fuel lines, regulators, single outlet header tank, ignition system, loom, someone to set it all up.....
sinnerboy

4th Nov 06 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How come i need a different loom?The guys at boggs bros told me that all i need to do is buy there kit, make up a different alternator bracket and change the belt i think. They said i can use the standard ecu if i want but i'll get more out of the carbs if i get an aftermarket ecu..Im not up to speed with this sort of stuff so all help needed

Thanks for your reply.
BarnshaW

5th Nov 06 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just out of curiosity what gain are you hoping to get out of these?
Dave A

5th Nov 06 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sinnerboy
How come i need a different loom?The guys at boggs bros told me that all i need to do is buy there kit, make up a different alternator bracket and change the belt i think. They said i can use the standard ecu if i want but i'll get more out of the carbs if i get an aftermarket ecu..Im not up to speed with this sort of stuff so all help needed

Thanks for your reply.

I really dont think that Bogg bros told you that you can use your standard ecu. you need an ignition only ecu, omex, lumenition, webber alpha, emerald.... all do them.
Dave A

5th Nov 06 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would also fit a different coilpack. the standard coilpack on these engines are amplified units and most ignition ecu's only work with non amplified.

unfortunately its not as easy as fitting them and drive off.
sinnerboy

5th Nov 06 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well according to them you dont need to connect anything to your ecu as they are carbs not throttle bodies..They said the car will run fine if you dont connect it but if you want you can..Well with the carbs, 4 branch, de cat, straight through stainless system im hoping about 20bhp but im not sure on that figure
Dave A

5th Nov 06 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well if you keep your standard ecu most of the sensors wont be needed, cam sensor, intake air temp,m all the vaccum sensors and solenoids, egr, sai, lambda, icv, tps.....

so the ecu wont be working properly. will also retard ignition because it will go into safe mode or 'limp home mode' and revs will limit at about 4k.

to do this properly you need to ditch the standard ecu and run an ignition module to control ignition from the crank sensor.
ed

5th Nov 06 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ECU? You either use mechanical ignition (not possible on an X14XE) or electronic ignition which has a different ECU to the standard one. If you used the standard ECU then it would constantly be throwing up faults.
ed

5th Nov 06 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, as Dave just said......
Dave A

5th Nov 06 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

beat you to it ed
sinnerboy

5th Nov 06 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you look at TV issue with the carb guide on it, page 122 it says "It needs to be connected to the ecu but the carbs will still work properly if not. Therefore, if you dont have an engine management system, dont connect anything to it. If however you have a standard engine management system, it can be connected but better results are achieved with and aftermarket system".
Dave A

5th Nov 06 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in short:

if you use the standard ecu it wont run properly.

if you dont use any ecu what will create a signal for the ignition spark?

if you buy a simple ignition only ecu that is compatible with the corsa coilpack and crank sensor that will work perfectly

sinnerboy

5th Nov 06 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Dave, your a gent

New Poll