corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Running Hot

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Running Hot
Wrighty_1988

User status: Offline
20th Jul 06 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey, my corsa sport 1.4 is running very hot over the past few days, is this because of the heat wave ?, its kitting 100 and sometimes over? Is this normal or needs checkin out ?

TY
Ry_B
Banned

20th Jul 06 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mines been running really hot aswell, guess it's just the heat as most the other cars I hear have their fans on aswell. Nothin to worry about matey
Wrighty_1988

20th Jul 06 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good to hear, Had some very close ones today. Had to stick to A roads
Ry_B
Banned

20th Jul 06 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very close ones?
Jake

20th Jul 06 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it hitting 100 when you're driving or at standstill?
gavin18787
Premium Member

20th Jul 06 at 18:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as long as the fans cutting in and its dropping back there should be nothing to worry about.

this at slow speeds and in traffic? should be no need for the fan when your going along.

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Glen

20th Jul 06 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the fan on my car cuts in just over 100C then dropes down to abt 94C. witch is normal you could put a cool running thermostate in if ur that woried abt it. get them off courtnay for abt £25. If youve got a 16 valve there realy easy to change but if youve got an 8 valve there behind the cam belt

[Edited on 20-07-2006 by Glen]
DarkBahamut

21st Jul 06 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine hasnt been too bad. Went to north wales and back in my 1.4 8v yesterday (270 mile round trip) and the only time the temp went over 93C was when i got stuck at road work traffic lights thats stayed on red for over 3 minutes, that was also the only time the rad fan came on at all during the day.
Cybermonkey

21st Jul 06 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you guys have no idea. you should see what a 15 year old Camry is like when its 47
Wrighty_1988

28th Jul 06 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey the car hasnt stopped doing this now, and its gotten wierder. My car hit 100+ so instinctively i stopped the car and popped the bonnet, while doing the normal stuff i put my hand on the radiator, the back half was very hot and the front half was cool ?? is this normal or could there be a blockage meaning only half of the radiator is being used??, Also everytime the car hits 100 it blow the fuse for the fan, i reckon the thermostat might have gone also as i drove to work on the motorway the car was running 90C when joining motorway but soon ran straight upto the red mark well just below, after about a mile it went quickly back to just above 90C ?? HUH ? Dont get it me but hopefully someone does

Anyone have any idea what could be up ?
Thanks
DarkBahamut

28th Jul 06 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does sound like it could be blocked. Bets to get it flushed out. If the thermostat was gone then the rad shouldnt really get hot at all, they tend to stick shut so no water goes to the red at all. Interesting its blowing fuses though? 100C is when teh fan turns on, so it must be blowing them as it tries to turn it on. Maybe you have a faulty fan.

EDIT: Typo

[Edited on 28-07-2006 by DarkBahamut]
Wrighty_1988

28th Jul 06 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought that too, so i took the front bumper off and looked at the front fan, usually this didnt engage when hitting 100C, i took the fan off completely and took the blade part off so it was just the motor hanging there, whacked a new fuse in and the bastard spun at 100C !! WOOT?, i dont know what to do, ive put in the right ampage fuse (30) it should run whilst on, also does the back fan turn on whilst hitting 100C aswell as that one could be the problem and it screwing up the front one, but as i said the front one is spinning

Cheers, ill get a flush also to check
DarkBahamut

28th Jul 06 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have 2 fans? Is it a model with air con?
Wrighty_1988

28th Jul 06 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes it is, sorry forgot to mention it, didnt think it was important, is the big fan behind air con ?
Wrighty_1988

28th Jul 06 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also i never have air con on so i dont think this could contribute to the fuse blown, however i could be wrong.
DarkBahamut

28th Jul 06 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The fan at the back is the main cooling fan. Models with air con have an extra fan at the front (AFAIK). Models with air con also have two fan speeds. The fans come on slow speed at 100C and high speed at 105C. Non a/c models only have the rear fan and only 1 fan speed (that comes on at 100C). If the rear fan isnt working then that could be a problem (maybe why the front is cool by the back is hot?)
Wrighty_1988

28th Jul 06 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ill have to look again and see if its only the front fan thats working, rear fan not working means i have to take all the raditor off
DarkBahamut

28th Jul 06 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the front fan smaller by any chance? Mine doesnt have a/c so i dont know about that . If its just as big as the rear one it should be ok to keep it cool as long as the a/c is off, problem is they run off the same fuse, so if ones faultly and blowing the fuses then you lose both and it will overheat in slow traffic. Rad could be blocked also if its getting hot while moving at speed though.
Wrighty_1988

28th Jul 06 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doesnt seem to be smaller but it has approx twice the blade as the rear one. and yeh it is a bugger they are both using the same fuse. Im also going to flush the rad tomorrow , Thanks

Edit - Wonder when theres gonna be a tutorial for wiring your fans upto a switch ? Would come in handy.

[Edited on 28-07-2006 by Wrighty_1988]

New Poll