corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » improving performance 1.4 8v

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author improving performance 1.4 8v
corsa flair

User status: Offline
2nd Jun 06 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so what can i do to improve the performance thats reasonably cheap. ive don nowt to the engine yet part from sparks, oil filter, battery, replacement aire filter element.
Ry_B
Banned

2nd Jun 06 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SPi or MPi?

Either way there's not much point, especially if it's the SPi mate
alistairolsen

2nd Jun 06 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when will folk realise spi isnt all that bad!

Mines running a c14se head, 13s manifold ported to match, and adaptor plate to take a c18nz thottle body and a four branch manifold with heated lambda sensor. It does 40 to the gallon being driven like a loon and produces about 90hp. coupled to a cr box in my nova its a lot of fun!
Ry_B
Banned

2nd Jun 06 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I very very much doubt it can do 40mpg being driven like a loon seeing as my 1.2 8v SPi does 35mpg round town being driven very very sensibley, 30mpg with normal driving and 25mpg ragging it
alistairolsen

2nd Jun 06 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

want a shot?

last tank was me driving to edinburgh and back. The 60 miles nearest my houe I know well and pulled off in 60 minutes on the dot, in both directions. The rest was in town and short local runs round here. (ie the 12 miles of road Ive known since I was a kid, I know where the potholes are ffs)

hit the reserve at 306miles and took a little under 36l.
Rileysport

2nd Jun 06 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my c14se used to be ok in fuel... x14xe was ok too, but even the 20xe returns a decent figure caning up and down motorways 35 mpg ish

i think the best thing to do 1.4 wise would be a c14se with twin carbs, if you wanted to keep the 1.4 that is, they're mechanically simple engines so relatively cheap to tune/fix

[Edited on 02-06-2006 by Rileysport]
alistairolsen

2nd Jun 06 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

people are shy of dropping gears, you get to a hill in your 1.2 and put the pedal thru the floor in 5th trying to find some torque that doesnt exist and all youre doing is pouring fuel onto the road. Drop it a gear, find the powerband and go a little better.

Spi engines as std have a horrible torque curve that drops off at 4k ish. this means that revving them doesnt work overly well either. Mines got a nice flat torque curve and the power rises in a straight line to the redline!

quote:

i think the best thing to do 1.4 wise would be a c14se with twin carbs, if you wanted to keep the 1.4 that is, they're mechanically simple engines so relatively cheap to tune/fix

So remove a perfectly workable fuel injection system given 35+mpg and fit some antiques that give peak performace at one rev/load site only and have to be set rich for safety? Would your first mod really be aleviating the inlet manifold which is suitable for 140hp? Rather than looking to the camshaft, or exhaust manifold, or even removing the cat!

[Edited on 02-06-2006 by alistairolsen]
Rileysport

2nd Jun 06 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
people are shy of dropping gears, you get to a hill in your 1.2 and put the pedal thru the floor in 5th trying to find some torque that doesnt exist and all youre doing is pouring fuel onto the road. Drop it a gear, find the powerband and go a little better.

Spi engines as std have a horrible torque curve that drops off at 4k ish. this means that revving them doesnt work overly well either. Mines got a nice flat torque curve and the power rises in a straight line to the redline!

still drop gears with the xe... ace fun
alistairolsen

2nd Jun 06 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, but in general people dont. Folk moan about fuel consumption and dont understand why theirs is utterly shite " I never came it/drive it at high revs/...."

New Poll