corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Tesco 99 RON Fuel

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tesco 99 RON Fuel
whitter45

User status: Offline
2nd Feb 06 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone used it

Been using optimax (98RON) since having the car but heard good reviews about Tesco 99 RON and its cheaper than optimax

[Edited on 02-02-2006 by whitter45]
Russ

2nd Feb 06 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i keep trying to never got none.
whitter45

2nd Feb 06 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I filled up last night but will take a few tanks I would imagine for the timing to adjust
Cybermonkey

2nd Feb 06 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
I filled up last night but will take a few tanks I would imagine for the timing to adjust

timing will adjust straight away. what engine do you have?
broster
Premium Member

2nd Feb 06 at 08:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used it engine pinked a little with it so went back to optiplop
Siberia

2nd Feb 06 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

god it weould be great ot have the choice... can only get 95ron over here
Cybermonkey

2nd Feb 06 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i use 101RON in the yota, Optimax Extreme. 650km's to a tank, and amazing difference it makes to the engine. 5% Ethanol
broster
Premium Member

2nd Feb 06 at 09:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is talk of optimax being replaced with 100RON fuel.... i hope so, and hope the price stays the same
Siberia

2nd Feb 06 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a pain in the bum bum cos if you import a car from japland oer here it has to go straight to be mapped for 95 which = more money...
Stu

2nd Feb 06 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use Optimax with 90ml of NF octane booster - Takes it to about 101RON.

Fuel wont increase the performance of your car unless your ECU is clever enough to advance/retard the ignition as necessary. RON rating is just the fuels ability to resist detonation.
whitter45

2nd Feb 06 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have the 1.8 T VAG 225 BHP with a remap on the way so hpefully should make a bit of difference
Cybermonkey

2nd Feb 06 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu
I use Optimax with 90ml of NF octane booster - Takes it to about 101RON.

Fuel wont increase the performance of your car unless your ECU is clever enough to advance/retard the ignition as necessary. RON rating is just the fuels ability to resist detonation.

it would HAVE to advance/retard the timing to create a sufficiently clean burn in the engine, advancing the timing has benefits of improving performance in the right applications. i feel greater performance running Extreme than i would running 91 or 95RON. the car is also much much smoother on kickdown
Stu

2nd Feb 06 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
Have the 1.8 T VAG 225 BHP with a remap on the way so hpefully should make a bit of difference

Even if it doesnt improve your performance its worth using especially on a turbocharged car. As the air is compressed by the turbo it gets hot, add that to the fact the turbo is running at 600 degrees + the intake temps can get seriously high if the cooling system isnt brilliant (such as Subarus/pulsars/200sx's etc) This hot air is sometimes hot enough to make the fuel ignite before the spark and before the piston reaches TDC (top dead centre) - detonation/pre ignition. So the piston is on its way up and your fuel has just ignited which is trying to push it back down - this can lead to holed pistons, spun big end shells, bent crank etc etc. the higher the RON rating of the fuel, the better it can withstand detonating (in this case being ignited by the hot charge air!)

Stu
broster
Premium Member

2nd Feb 06 at 09:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stu, i always thought pinking (preignition) damaged the outside edges of the piston first??
Stu

2nd Feb 06 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
stu, i always thought pinking (preignition) damaged the outside edges of the piston first??

All depends on the flame front that is created and the severity of the detonation. In the STI 5/ P1 engines when det is occurring the pistons can usually cope with it but the downward force of the det actually damages the big end shells!

But yeah, light detonation - the kind that isnt instant and catastrophic does nibble away at the edges as you say.

Stu

2nd Feb 06 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will probably bore most people to tears but if you want a good read about detonation/pinking/pre ignition and the effects:

http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Articles/Engine/Detonation/index.php

Absolutely top article and really easy to understand!

whitter45

2nd Feb 06 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would assume 99 RON is same though as its retailed nationally
broster
Premium Member

2nd Feb 06 at 09:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pinking is a nast nasty nasty thing.....
Stu

2nd Feb 06 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is no worse noise than det crackle........sound like someone crinkling a foil crisp packet. By the time you have heard it with bare ears then youve more than likely done some damage.

Got it bad once in a mates 200sx we were mapping luckily due to strength of the SR20DET we didnt do no harm.

Stu
Siberia

2nd Feb 06 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu
Even if it doesnt improve your performance its worth using especially on a turbocharged car. As the air is compressed by the turbo it gets hot, add that to the fact the turbo is running at 600 degrees + the intake temps can get seriously high if the cooling system isnt brilliant (such as Subarus/pulsars/200sx's etc) This hot air is sometimes hot enough to make the fuel ignite before the spark and before the piston reaches TDC (top dead centre) - detonation/pre ignition. So the piston is on its way up and your fuel has just ignited which is trying to push it back down - this can lead to holed pistons, spun big end shells, bent crank etc etc. the higher the RON rating of the fuel, the better it can withstand detonating (in this case being ignited by the hot charge air!)

Stu

how imformative.... you have just explained DET to me
broster
Premium Member

2nd Feb 06 at 09:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stu
There is no worse noise than det crackle........sound like someone crinkling a foil crisp packet. By the time you have heard it with bare ears then youve more than likely done some damage.

Got it bad once in a mates 200sx we were mapping luckily due to strength of the SR20DET we didnt do no harm.

Stu

i had it in mine also, however i dont feel it did damage...... (fingers crossed)
Siberia

2nd Feb 06 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think i better buy a timing light and sett my 200sx's timing right
Stu

2nd Feb 06 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
think i better buy a timing light and sett my 200sx's timing right

Have you got a 200 Siberia? What model?

I loved mine, one of the best cars I have had, it just tried to kill me one too many times tho!

Siberia

2nd Feb 06 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have 2 bith s13' ca18's... one is gettign broken as the body is completely fecked on it... the engine out of it is going into the other one this weekend actually.... the good one only cost me 600quid... so cheap thrills

i was going to save some cash and get a s14a but i got impatient

[Edited on 02-02-2006 by Siberia]
Stu

2nd Feb 06 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sweet, proper drift weapons!!!!!

I had an S14a and it was awesome, loved that car!

Stu

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Tesco 99 RON Fuel 22 database queries in 0.0134790 seconds