corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 2.0 redtop or 1.6 on trottle boddies

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2.0 redtop or 1.6 on trottle boddies
alistairolsen

User status: Offline
20th Mar 06 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wtf did you weigh that with? And did common sense not tell you you were wrong? From trying to moxe the fucking thing its a lot more than 130! You might get an xe to 130 with no box or ancilliaries!

The point of my threar is not the actal numbers, but even if you say that my balance was fucked and an xe is 170 say, then the difference gets even smaller! Its not 60 kilos, or a fat kid under the bonnet, its fark all!

The small block will handle better on track, the weight dist of a nova/corsa is fundamentally shite, and anything you do thet further worsens it is bad, but in normal day to day I cant see it making a lot of difference. (And on a public road, the 2l will ALWAYS be faster as its easier to overtake, and you dont push it to the ragged edge all the time (Understeer in the dry on every bend))
Krammy

20th Mar 06 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

interesting topic

[Edited on 20-03-2006 by Krammy]
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

20th Mar 06 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
the 2l will ALWAYS be faster as its easier to overtake, and you dont push it to the ragged edge all the time (Understeer in the dry on every bend))

so a 2 litre will always be faster than a 1.6 on throttle bodies????

ok then. you obviosly know fuck all.
corsa120

20th Mar 06 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what does it matter anyways, this topic just gets boring, its always gonna be a byest thread to whatever u own, in my personal opinion the 2ltr does not handle that bad to warrant goin for 1.6 on tb's not for fast road use anyways.

its fact of bein different is why 1.6 on tb's is more appealing plus noise etc,

lets face it a saxo as shit as they are can out handle a good setup corsa i have very good friend with red saxo on kw coilovers and uprated bushes etc etc etc and i can keep with him on twisties in my xe no hassle so what does it matter

no actually i cant i died 6 months ago when i torque steered into a tree following him this is ghost me me typing
alistairolsen

20th Mar 06 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with the same power, a std 2l will always be more driveable than the tuned 1.6 due to wider power band, more torque etc. it will also be quieter and more refined.

The extra weight will fuck things up, the std weight distribution is shite, and this can only make it worse.

Your choice comes down to what is most important out of the above. if you want a lazy, torquey road car that handles well, go for the 2l, if you want a buzzy trackday car that handles amazingly then the 1.6 is the way to go.
corsa120

20th Mar 06 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lazy a 2.0 16v redtop engine is not lazy, in fact they are very revvy, i think mine cuts out to early at 7200rpm feels strong right upto limiter

lazzy engine is my dads rover 600 2.0 now that is uber slow
alistairolsen

20th Mar 06 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not saying its lazy, but you have to agree that it is lazy compared with a 1600 16v on TBs? the 1600 needs revved to get any power, the xe will be far more useable, you can allow it to drop to 2.5k and it will pull, it is generally lazier to drive with. Of course you can go full bore with it, but the point is in the 1.6 you HAVE to to get anywhere!
Dave A

20th Mar 06 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
not saying its lazy, but you have to agree that it is lazy compared with a 1600 16v on TBs? the 1600 needs revved to get any power, the xe will be far more useable, you can allow it to drop to 2.5k and it will pull, it is generally lazier to drive with. Of course you can go full bore with it, but the point is in the 1.6 you HAVE to to get anywhere!

have you actually driven a 1600 on tb's

corsa120

20th Mar 06 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i see what u mean ur interpretation of lazy came accross different lol

to me that makes it better if power is everywhere means more concentration on road and etc and less faffing with dropping gear and so on.... i hate my mrs 1600 corsa feeld dead upto 3500k
Tappits

20th Mar 06 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a 1.6 16v with a F15 on it is about 140KG
A 20XE With the F20 on it is 35KG more
yes just 35KG more than a 1.6 16v

[Edited on 20-03-2006 by Tappits]
corsa120

20th Mar 06 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this true tappits where is ur source of info
alistairolsen

20th Mar 06 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that would suggest my scales are over reading. however, if they are over reading by 10 percent say, then the difference is 10 % less too, its all relative!

the 1600 has a very peaky powerband, which is great fun when your on the razz round a track, or down a b road, but it will never feel the same as the 2l. In the same way the 2l will never handle as well as the 1.6 given the same spend on suspension.

just depends whats more important to you.
Dave A

20th Mar 06 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you actually driven a 1600 on tb's

Carl

20th Mar 06 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've not driven either but i'm still going to put my 2 penneth in as i've seen alot of info on the matter. At the end of the day.....

It gets dark.
Only way you can solve this is if you get something like the top gear test track with the 2 engines being discussed, preferable all set up the same with the same amount of fuel in etc. It's never going to happen.
Tappits

20th Mar 06 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa120
this true tappits where is ur source of info

from here or mig about 2 day's ago
we have got an xe and a f20 laying about some were i will have a go my self aswell

[Edited on 20-03-2006 by Tappits]
broster
Premium Member

21st Mar 06 at 07:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for peoples info a 1.6 16v on tb's has a very very flat torque curve, mine has 115lbft of torque pretty much al the way over the rev range, peaking at 124lbft

so as for needing to rag it, pmsl, from 1000rpm in 5th it will happily pull to the limter with no worries
bubble

21st Mar 06 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv driven 1.6tb, pulls well sounds AWESOME but prefer my valver.loads more responsive, pulls better handles poo compared but the flat out speed makes up for it.
corsa120

21st Mar 06 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no offence mark but my xe pulls ok in top gear at 1k revs but i would not say engines comfortable at that load, xe has fair bit more torque and the extra capacity compared to ur 1600

so maybe ur idea of torque is different to mine

<<  2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 2.0 redtop or 1.6 on trottle boddies 23 database queries in 0.0147171 seconds