corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Upgraded to xp, how do i delete 2000?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Upgraded to xp, how do i delete 2000?
Carl

User status: Offline
27th Feb 06 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i start my machine it asks which OS i want to use, so does this mean 2000 is still on my machine? if so how do i delete it?
James_DT

27th Feb 06 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Select it in the menu, see if it still boots. I suspect XP has left it in the boot menu rather than actually leaving it there. If you ran an upgrade install, then XP should have gone straight over it.
If it's not actually there anymore, edit C:\boot.ini to remove it's entry. If it is, boot.ini will tell you the folder it's in and you should be able to delete that folder and then remove the boot.ini entry.
Carl

27th Feb 06 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i ran a fresh install rather than upgrade, cheers though i'll give what you said a blast, think its still there as i'm down 2gb unless xp is just bigger or something
Carl

27th Feb 06 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just looked at your reply, i'm not really upto that kind of messing about, any way an idiot could delete it from the main desktop rather than messing around on that booting up bit?
James_DT

27th Feb 06 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look for a folder called Windows.OLD or something similar. It should contain the old install of 2000. Rename it to something else and reboot the computer just to check there's nothing Windows is using in that folder. If it's not, just delete it.
Skylined

27th Feb 06 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u should have formatted ur drive before installing xp
Ideally you should format and reinstall again as you will have a load of 2000 crap taking up space on your drive.
If however, you want the quick option getting rid of the selection screen on boot up try:
Start>Run>
msconfig
Go to boot.ini tab and under <operating systems> menu there should be 2.
Delete the 2000 one and should boot xp everytime
Carl

28th Feb 06 at 01:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Skylined
u should have formatted ur drive before installing xp
Ideally you should format and reinstall again as you will have a load of 2000 crap taking up space on your drive.
If however, you want the quick option getting rid of the selection screen on boot up try:
Start>Run>
msconfig
Go to boot.ini tab and under <operating systems> menu there should be 2.
Delete the 2000 one and should boot xp everytime

I've just altered the timeout to 3 seconds so thats not a problem, like yo say though i'll have loads of 2000 crap all over, only got 40gb hd, so wondering how i could manually clean it up. If not i'll just back up my music collection and i'll have plenty of space.
James_DT

28th Feb 06 at 01:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most of it should be in Windows.OLD. Bits will be in Documents and Settings, and most of the rest should have been replaced with newer by XP, or should be in use by XP.

New Poll