corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » I'm impressed how easy it is to set up a home network

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I'm impressed how easy it is to set up a home network
welshdude

User status: Offline
20th Jan 06 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just bought a second computer and I've networked them together through a broadband router, all I had to do was run the network wizard and that only had about 4 steps.

I remember when I was in college 4 years ago learning to stet up a network on windows 95/98 and not being able to get my head around it.

Ppointless post really, but is just had me thinking about how computers have come a long way.
WATSON

20th Jan 06 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have 3 computers in house 2 home PCs and a laptop is a pain in the arse haven to remove the modem cable to use for the other computers and not been able to be online at the sametime as others

Might giove this a go infact What did you all need to use? also is it cheap?
welshdude

20th Jan 06 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All you need is a wireless broadband router and a card for your laptop, easy peasy
oli_h

20th Jan 06 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it has to be a PCMCIA card for the laptop though, unless it already has the wireless built in
Bart

20th Jan 06 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it doesnt have to be PCMCIA, you can get a whole range of usb wireless cards for laptops:

Source
Paul

20th Jan 06 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Home networking is a doddle as you have all these pretty wizards. However networking in an environment where you may have a few hundered PC's is far harder
WATSON

21st Jan 06 at 00:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate has a laptop and can take it to work with him about 15miles away from his house and he can still use the internet? how does that work?

Will give all this wireless web a go
Nath

21st Jan 06 at 01:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by WATSON
my mate has a laptop and can take it to work with him about 15miles away from his house and he can still use the internet? how does that work?

Will give all this wireless web a go

Probably someone else using a router near by on an unsecure connection. Just tap into that and away you go.

My dad just bought a laptop so we bought a Belkin wireless modem/router, connected it up fine. Then today we moved the PC into my room from downstairs. So to get the internet going again I plugged the router into the main phone line downstairs, stuck a network adapter in the PC in my room and job done.

Easy.

New Poll