corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » HELP! computer problem

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HELP! computer problem
Jake

User status: Offline
26th Nov 05 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok, last night the mouse cursor decided not to move, if it did move it was quite choppy and if i moved the mouse around alot i would get a beep from the computer. This morning it has given up completely and the cursor doesnt move at all.

Whats up with it?

thanks

(i had to press the tab button to navigate through the site to post this thread!)
dna23

26th Nov 05 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds stupid but...

- plugged in at back correctly?

- ball not getting stuck on anything and ball area clear if u remove the bottom?

- if its optical is it running on a proper surface and clean?

- mouse drivers/software up to date?

- viruses/trojan free?

also found this:

quote:

First off, my general rules for dealing with mouse problems:

Your mouse drive may need updating or replacement if it got corrupted.
Your mouse to computer connections may be loose.
Or, your mouse itself may be dirty, so you need to clean it as per your manufacturer's instructions.
Now, let's get into some specifics.
The first thing I would look for with optical mice is any sort of obstruction under the optical sensor. Sometimes dust, lint, or similar impediments get stuck between the optical sensor and the surface your mouse sits on, causing unexpected behavior. My second guess would be a surface that isn't favorable for optical mice. Optical mice have problems on porous surfaces and surfaces like glass. Typically this causes more frequent and obvious problems though. To eliminate the surface you are using as the problem, try putting something like a blank piece of paper under the mouse and see if the problems continue.

If obstructions and the surface are eliminated as problems, Microsoft has a knowledge base article on erratic mouse pointer movement that may help. As you can see in this article, there is more to it than uninstalling and reinstalling the mouse driver. Microsoft Support on Mouse Problems

I have also seen reports of the new Gateway tablets doing this. These models vent hot air through the keyboard. If the lid is left closed when the tablet is docked, the touchpad heats up and causes the mouse to jump around. The only resolution have seen on this is just to leave screen up, though I'd be tempted to leave the unit on ice and see what happened!

As I've said, it's possible that something has corrupted your mouse driver. You can either 1) re-install the driver, or 2) roll back the driver. Either one of these may help. To roll back your driver in Windows XP, go to Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Mouse. Click on the "hardware" tab. Select the appropriate pointing device, and click "properties." Click the driver tab, then select "roll back driver."

Under the "hardware" tab, there may be more than one mouse. If this is the case, select the one that is not used, follow the settings above, and then select "uninstall." Or, you can go into Control Panel --> System --> Hardware --> Device Manager, and remove the device under "Mice and other pointing devices." Note: if you are on a laptop with a touchpad that you never use, don't remove the touchpad anyway.

Another possibility is that the driver has a corrupted "jump to" setting. This is called different things by different manufacturers, but is a setting where it moves to the default button when a window pops up. It could be moving to the corner instead of moving to the button. This is also suggested because you note that it is often "when you are about to click." Find this setting under mouse properties (as above) and disable it.

Jake

26th Nov 05 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I checked the mouse hardware tab in control panel earlier and nothing was there as it usually says 'PS/2 compatible mouse' but on mine it isnt there. HOw would i go about getting that back up - i dont have a disc or anything to install mouse drivers.

thanks for the help sam
Bart

26th Nov 05 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like the moust has packeed up.

One thing to double check is you've plugged it in the correct port (sounds silly).

how old is the mouse? id def get a new one.
If i had to recomend one id say This Mouse without a shadow of a doubt.
They are very comfortable, optical, and best of all cheap! at £7 you dont mind if it does break. ive had mine for nearly 2 years and still going good
Jake

26th Nov 05 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not the mouse because ive tried another one and it was exactly the same. There are no drivers on the computer for the mouse to work. Where can i get a driver from?
Jake

26th Nov 05 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just installed the driver from the disc i got with the motherboard and it uninstalls it straight away

[Edited on 26-11-2005 by jake]
dna23

26th Nov 05 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/Download.mspx

http://www.input-drivers.com/
Jake

26th Nov 05 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

problem solved. IT was a driver and mouse issue. Got a new driver from microsoft, with the old mouse it werent working but ive plugged a new one in and its fine.

thanks for the help

New Poll