corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Subs blown?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subs blown?
woodywoods12345

User status: Offline
29th Oct 05 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OKay, so there i was, driving to work with my subs on as loud as i normally have them on (volume up 3quarters of the way) and all of sudden they stop workin, work agen then make farting sounds. Very pissed off because these subs have been in my past two cars and have never gone wrong. These are my subs:

How do i check if they are blown? Im guessin the voice coil will be loose? Please give serious answers and none like "Should have had better subs" etc.

Also if they are blown what subs do you recommend?
Richie

29th Oct 05 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both wont go at the exact same time.

Get a different amp to test them on
woodywoods12345

29th Oct 05 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, having said that my one sub on the left seems to be working. but the other just makes a stupid noise. Do you think the voice coil is blown? I'll have a look tomorrow. I'll keep you informed.
Ally

29th Oct 05 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If ones still working fine then i would say the coil has become kentucky fried chicken
Ian
Site Administrator

30th Oct 05 at 04:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You may be able to see damage just by taking a look if its burnt. You need to test them on an amp you know is good though, I assuming you're bridging these and running in mono? In which case if one sounds OK its the sub not the amp.
woodywoods12345

30th Oct 05 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, so i took out the sub that was farting, checked the wires and all were intact, the coils still soldered on firmly, everything was hunky dory, but why the hell is it farting? if you put slight pressure on the sub cone it seems to go down roughly, while as the other one (the one that works fine) goes down smoothly. What the hell is going on?
Ally

30th Oct 05 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You cant see visually if the coil is burnt unless you cut the cone off.

If its moving roughly the coil is burnt and the sub is now a designer doorstop
woodywoods12345

30th Oct 05 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats the thing though, if the coil is burnt surely it would be disconnected to the actual sub cone?
Ally

31st Oct 05 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope because the spider is still connected to the cone. The voil coil is in the centre of the spider.
Ally

31st Oct 05 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Martin

31st Oct 05 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so one has a burnt voice oil, and one is fine, so when the ok one moves, its going to make the other sound like its 'fartin' because the displacement in the box is 'pushing' it... oui or non?
woodywoods12345

1st Nov 05 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, its ok though ive taken the crap one our and the other 1 is fine for the time being

New Poll