corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.4 SPi engines... is there much you can do with 'em?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.4 SPi engines... is there much you can do with 'em?
Stokie Dave

User status: Offline
10th Oct 05 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all, sorta a newbie on here as I've just brought a Corsa Flair 1.4 SPi lol.. tis a tidy car, lowered 35mm, full scorpion zorst, alloys, K&N etc (pic below, cost £650) but it's never gonna be quick with that SPi engine really..

Few ideas: rip it out and swap for Nova GTE 8v as I reckon I could easily re-use exhaust and filter with that plus a cheap swap if I have the manpower and time...

OR:

Do something to this 1.4 aslong as its cheap.

So is there much I could do to the 1.4 on a budget? Some people have mentioned putting a CAM out of a different model in? Anything like that really...

Cheers guys, sorry for such a n00b question lol
white_sri

10th Oct 05 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think that on the 1.4 spi you can use the 1.4 sri head, inlet etc (c14se) making it mpi. this will take you up to around 80bhp and only cost a small amount.
Stokie Dave

10th Oct 05 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Could I pinch bits off an Astra MPi 1.4? Much the same I'd assume?
white_sri

10th Oct 05 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah there the same
j7 gkk

11th Oct 05 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah there the same or nova sri just use head inlet manifold and change your loom an put in mpi engine ecu and change your fuel pump ur exhaust should mate up and you should be able to get your k&n to fit nice car for the money mate
Bullet Proof SRi

11th Oct 05 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have an sri mate , they are not really alot quicker accelerating then the normal 1.4.

but when going 70 or so you can easily shoot up to 90 no probs, whereas i assume yours would struggle.
dannycorsa c

11th Oct 05 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh u cud do sumat with it. chuck it in bin n get a XE
Stokie Dave

11th Oct 05 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol i'd love a C20XE conversion deffo but I dont think its gonna happen for a bit

I think for the time and efford involved a swap to a Nova GTE lump seems the best cost effective solution. 2.0 engine would be mint but theres that many speed cameras I dunno if its worth it and I aint much of a mad racer at the mo lol

Good to hear they accelerate similar to SRi up to 60 at least heh Hopefully I can cope with it! I'm well pleased for the cash though!

[Edited on 11-10-2005 by Stokie Dave]
Bullet Proof SRi

11th Oct 05 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much did you pay, milleage , year ect
Bullet Proof SRi

11th Oct 05 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh i see £650, but what yea and miles.

i only recently got a l reg black corsa sri, 70,000 miles, 2 owners, £525 tax and MOT for 6months no rust no dents but i need to get some scratches sorted out though, bargain
Stokie Dave

11th Oct 05 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

650 I paid...

1993 L reg, 80,000 miles, Flair is the model, scorpion exhaust (full system), K&N, tinted windows, lowered 35mm, Astra Sport wheels (I think tyres are a bit big for the Corsa but they will have to do for now lol 55 profile) but wheels are immaculate.

Full MOT, 1 months TAX left, had to have a bit of welding done on drivers cill but tiny patch so its no worry. Bodywork is v. clean for age, only bits are couple of small dents on front wing, scratch on bonnet, scratch on boot but nothing which cant be sorted cheap! Otherwise very nice paintwork and rust free New back brakes too.. everything works well. Also got some lexus lights and M3 mirrors thrown in but I'm gonna sell those

The Sri you got sounds a bargain! I'd have preferred an SRi of course but for the mods and the fact this thing was like 2 mins away... seemed a sound buy to me - nice and convenient!

Bullet Proof SRi

11th Oct 05 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah it sounds good mate, i aint done any mods as such yet, ive got new rear lights, sound system and doing a black retrim inside as the sri interior colour is horrible, also will soon get viper filter, ss system, 17s and some angel eye lights.
Stokie Dave

11th Oct 05 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sweet

Only plans I have really are get it down 60mm, have wheels coloured anthracite, smoked lights all round and thats it really styling wise. New interior would be cool as this aint got bucket seats, just mad coloured trim lol
Dbilascorsa

12th Oct 05 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wwww.corsa-novatuning.nl
Cybermonkey

12th Oct 05 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats a really tidy corsa mate,like has been said, not much you can do to that engine, would seem to be a waste to throw money at it, so perhaps look at the 1.6 16v engine from the GSi/Sport. good on insurance, and plenty of potential for the future
Rileysport

12th Oct 05 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gmsosolid
i have an sri mate , they are not really alot quicker accelerating then the normal 1.4.

but when going 70 or so you can easily shoot up to 90 no probs, whereas i assume yours would struggle.

WTF i used to kill 1.4 spi's with mine yours must be knackered
Stokie Dave

12th Oct 05 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the replies guys. Yeah you're right its not worth spending any money on really

I'm in talks with a local friend of a friend now who's a bit of a master when it comes to Vauxhalls and engine swaps (he has a 2.0 16v throttle boddied MK1 Astra trackday machine!) and hopefully he could chuck a nice cheapo 1.6 8v Nova GTE lump in... probs see 105 brake using the exhaust and filter I already have and I might even get it chipped, some headwork, new cam depending on the budget Could probs do the lot for 300 though inc engine and gearbox + mentioned mods, bargain really for around 120 brake

[Edited on 12-10-2005 by Stokie Dave]
Bullet Proof SRi

12th Oct 05 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not knackered at all, 0-60 in 10/11 secs. but i dot think there alot faster then usual 1.4s in town i mean. on the open road yes.

New Poll