corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » broadband. what am i doing wrong?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author broadband. what am i doing wrong?
kz

User status: Offline
28th Sep 05 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

finally thought it was time i got this sorted! example... limewire. alright you dont get excellent speeds with this program but i rarely get above 2kbs (im on a 2Mb line!) and bit torrent, ill be lucky to see 10kbs!

my bro only has a 1Mb line but gets 50/60kbs nearly all the time. ive read loads of ways to try and get a faster connection but nothing has made any difference.

i know i can get good speeds cause if im downloading off a server ill get up tp 260kbs! always above 190kbs...

just annoyin me cause tbh i got better downloads from P2P software with 56k! any tips people

[Edited on 29-09-2005 by Ian]
Sam
Premium Member

28th Sep 05 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Firewall?
kz

28th Sep 05 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only firewall i have is the standard microsoft one. but my bro also has that on when getting his higher speeds. do most people have this on or off?
Sam
Premium Member

28th Sep 05 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What happens if you disable it?
kz

28th Sep 05 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i havent tried...

dont i get loads of virus and my computer blows up
Tim
Site Administrator

28th Sep 05 at 22:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have to allow the correct ports through the firewall...

Also don't use the default port (6881) as most ISPs block it even though there's perfectly good reasons to use torrents for LEGAL file distribution...

What client are you using (Azureus only needs one port forwarding -- others may need a range)?

[Edited on 28-09-2005 by Tim]
kz

28th Sep 05 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i use isohunt.com via bit torrent, which i downloaded from www.bittorrent.com!
Dan B

29th Sep 05 at 00:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, which ISP are you with, because quite a few now are starting to traffic-shape P2P apps (ie. slow them down so what they consider higher-priority traffic doesn't get slowed down).
kz

29th Sep 05 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im with plus.net
Dan B

29th Sep 05 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
im with plus.net

Yup, Plus.Net have recently introduced their SUP (Sustainable Usage Policy), in which you can only download a certain amount per month (and a certain amount in peak times per month - 4pm to midnight) - see here for further details.

Also, depending on which account you've got with them, they range from MASSIVELY slowing down p2p to SLIGHTLY slowing it down......I'm guessing you're on the first type of account, where they massively slow it down, from what you've said.

Of course, you most probably won't have received an email to tell you this, and this is a HUGE talking point over on ADSLGuide (forum link), and PlusNet have already cancelled two people's accounts for complaining about it. The SUP was introduced on September 16th, and another thing that got people loudly complaining was that they backdated usage-checking aswell (ie. they announced the limits you could download on the 16th, then checked over the three months BEFORE that date and warned/punished people who'd gone over those limits)......seeing the problem yet?

Leave them, join a proper ISP that doesn't move the goal-posts every 10 minutes!
Ian
Site Administrator

29th Sep 05 at 23:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're cheap though eh Dan.
Dan B

30th Sep 05 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True, can't dispute that......backs up the phrase of "you get what you pay for", though!

Popular opinion seems to be that they reduced their prices too much before checking that the huge influx of customers they didn't expect could actually be supported on their network......hence all the attempts now to punish heavy downloaders, and persuade them to move elsewhere!

[Edited on 30-09-2005 by Dan B]
jamesw

30th Sep 05 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you using a router or just a modem? if your using a router chances are its blocking the ports needed - you can either turn upnp on, turn dmz on or add the rules to forward the port. If you using a standard modem non of that applys
Dan B

30th Sep 05 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, unless he's on one of the more expensive accounts from PlusNet, I can absolutely completely categorically confirm that it's PlusNet slowing his connection down with regards to P2P, they've all but confirmed that the cheaper accounts have P2P slowed down to 10k/sec absolute maximum.
John

30th Sep 05 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gutted.

New Poll