corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Wiring a mates sub's up, best way?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wiring a mates sub's up, best way?
Coopers_Corsa

User status: Offline
   28th Mar 05 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right then, next weekend i am fitting an amp to my mates MG ZR and wiring up two subs too it. he's got a full sony xplod install (he wont listen :lol. the amp he is getting is a 1000w max unsure of rms 4ch bridgeable amp and he has two xplod 1200w max 350w rms subs to be wired from the amp. now powering the amp etc is not a problem, jus wondering which will be the best way to wire the subs into the amp. ie. just wire one sub bridged into ch 1 + 2 n the other in 3 + 4. or wire them up in parallel or series all kind of confusing really. not sure what ohm stable the amp is or the subs. they are both single voice coil subs thow. so any help on that would be much aprechiated.

and also, he had 1 of his mates make him a box to fit the subs in, but its just like a frame, no walls on the box, like the subs will be open air, not all enclosed. will that make much difference to the sound of it all just out of curiosity?

any help would be spon on people
SteveW

28th Mar 05 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well the fact that they probably arent free air subs will make them sound like a big pile of poop.. get the box sorted first mate.. as for the amp wiring situation....

i cant find the specs of the 1000w amp anywhere.. if you can get the model number of the amp then thats all good
corsaggh

28th Mar 05 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the manual that comes with the amp should tell you how to wire up a pair of subs.
You will more than likely bridge channel 1+2 for one sub. and bridge 3+4 for the other sub.

Most subwoofers need an encloseure in order to work properly.
Work out the size box you need, go up B&Q get 18mm MDF and get them to cut the wood for you. then its just a case of assembling the box together. Or buy a ready made box from halfords or motorworld.
Dom

29th Mar 05 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the sub isnt free air running, then it CAN do damage to the coils - so i would really recommend that he gets his "mate" to build him a propper box to the specs that sony recommend etc

as for the amp, i believe (if its the one im thinking) there like 400-500wRMS, so hes gonna be under running them - again, not the brightest of ideas. However, wire them in parallel and see what happens
bass_direct

29th Mar 05 at 04:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

might be the same sub as in this possibly??

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=206936
bass_direct

29th Mar 05 at 04:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh fook, jus realised you said 4ch amp!
Coopers_Corsa

29th Mar 05 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right then, i have been given some wrong information. the model number of the amp is sony XM2165GTX and a link too it is:

http://www.dealclick.co.uk/product/55820/SONY-XM2165GTX.php

so could i just bridge ch 1 + 2 and wire them in parallel to over-power them but just use the gain setting wisely, or just wire them up normally to each channel and under-power them?

now as for the box, the box has been made too fit the boot, so none of the manufactors specs have been taken into consideration at all. but still would it be best just to box up the frame ie put walls n floor all round it with some 180mm mdf or something? lol help!
bass_direct

29th Mar 05 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it'll be underpowering them anyway. Bridge the two channels, wire the subs paralell for a 2ohm load on the amp..... It'll probably be underpowering them anyway (the manufacturer doesn't state real RMS ratings.. wonder y lol) .............
Coopers_Corsa

29th Mar 05 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how exactly would i wire them in parallel, which way round do the wires need to be. is it positive of one sub to the positive of ch 1, then the negetive of the same sub to the other sub's positive, then the negetive of the other sub to the negetive of ch 2 of the amp. does that sound about right?

if it was my own system then i would tinker around with it for a bit but as its a mates i want to get it right first time.

cheers people
AdiSRI

30th Mar 05 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 x 165W or 1 x 400W is the RMS.

they are single coil 4 ohm subs.

The amp will only bridge to a 4 ohm load, so there is no way u can bridge the amp to those 2 subs.

options are..

run one sub off each channel (way underpowered).

run one sub bridged off amp and get another amp the same to power the other sub (better option)

sell the amp and buy a proper mono, capable of 750w rms ish at 2 ohm (best option)
bass_direct

30th Mar 05 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah I thought it bridged to two ohm!

The best option then would be to sell the whole kit and buy some better gear!
AdiSRI

30th Mar 05 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

monos will bridge to 4,2 and sometimes 1 ohm, nut multichannel amps will only bridge to a final 4 ohm load. so yeah either get another or flog it and buy a mono mate.
Coopers_Corsa

30th Mar 05 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that amp is 2 ohm capable, but it doesnt say 2 ohm stable (kinda worrying) but how will i know if its 2 ohm stable when bridged.
AdiSRI

1st Apr 05 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its NOT there are NO amps that are multi channel and bridge to 2 ohm, unless they can run a 1 ohm load on each channel which is very unlikely for the sony.

it can run individual, i.e. 4 .. 4 or 2 ohm loads, and it can bridge to 4 ohm, that is all.

New Poll