corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » are sbd rollers needed?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author are sbd rollers needed?
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

User status: Offline
19th Feb 05 at 02:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right, im currently building an x16xe, will eventually be running approx 155 bhp and a 7300rpm limit. already got arp rod bolts, but am wondering about the sbd rollers.
i was told that these would be necessary by sbd,

but no other companies think so.

i know that standard rollers are plastic, but courtenay sport told me that only the early x16xe engines had any problems with them breaking and later engines (post 97) had revised rollers. also told me that they have built loads of 150 bhp x16xe's and never felt the need to change rollers.

who to believe

i know £100 isnt much cash for the sbd rollers, but ive already spent £1200 on this engine!!!
ed

19th Feb 05 at 05:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get the rollers, the newer Vauxhall ones can probably take the higher RPM, but they were not neceserraly designed to take that RPM. It would be a wise descision to fit the SBD rollers, because you don't want to break an engine you have spent 1200 on tuning when the timing belt breaks becuase of a siezed roller......
James R

19th Feb 05 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't run them on my engine and it revs to 7850. Although that said I probably will do it at some point just for the piece of mind esp after spending lots having the head flowed and a roller falling apart would write it off. you can get a s/h head for less than the roller cost and leave it in the garage if needs be. Then swap it if the rollers go and sell the scrap on one.
Depends how worried you are and how often you use the rev limit
James R

19th Feb 05 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=185102

Tis a C16XE I had to rebuild. The head was pretty much a write off needs all new guides and valves, but it would be a good project for porting

New Poll