corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » GSi's/Close Ratio Gearbox/16" wheels

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author GSi's/Close Ratio Gearbox/16" wheels
Siberia

User status: Offline
15th Oct 04 at 07:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does anyone with this combo find that the engine starts to over rev at like 70-75ish.....

could really do with another gear....

is there any WR gearbox for this engine?
James R

15th Oct 04 at 07:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how high are you're revs??
I'd imagine that you've got a 3.74 final in the gar box and on 16's I'd guess in the region of 3krpm.
Which is pretty low revs.
esp if you stick a 4.18 final in there, 70= 4Krpm
You could put a F13WR cluster in there, but then your car would be very slowed by this.
Greasemonkey

15th Oct 04 at 07:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at 70-75 i used to be in 3rd, lol, so yeah i used to over rev.
1st=30
2nd=64
3rd=90ish
4th=110
5th=110+
Siberia

15th Oct 04 at 07:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

took it up to 90 last night in fifth.... my wheels are like this at the moment---> /---------\ so kinda lost me bootle and got back down from there....

i just remember thinking that it was louder that i'd want it to be.

i'll give it another try tommorrow after i get the tracking sorted out.

Oh kris another thing did you find the spring on the trottle of yer mantzel..ermmmm... to springy i just find that i have to push hard on the pedal then it kinda drops suddenly and i get a load of power.

feel like i'm learning to drive again

[Edited on 15-10-2004 by Siberia]
Greasemonkey

15th Oct 04 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have got the return spring fitted on you power box, i didnt bother to do this and the pedal feels ok, take it off its got a primary return the other is an emergency one i think so ya dont get stuck with the throttle open
Siberia

15th Oct 04 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i tryed taking that off the other day and it was worse... i think that spring is only there to help with the jerky trottle cos the other spring is more than enough to return it back to idle.

grr i hate all these niglling things bloody altenator belt tryed to commit suicide last night ... for some strange reason the cracnk pulley is not as wide at the altenator one so one 'rib' of the belt decintigrated.
Greasemonkey

15th Oct 04 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Man your having a few teething problems not as bad as mine like but still. So have you got PAS, what belt ya using a V belt or ribbed belt?, i canr understand why its doing it.
James R

15th Oct 04 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1st 38.1
2nd 69.1
3rd 91.5
4th 120.9
5th 152.1
This was 7750rpm on a 3.74 (theoretical)
1st 34.1
2nd 61.8
3rd 81.8
4th 108.1
5th 136.1
With the 4.18 final I have in now, although I can go up to 7900 on th ehard cut.
So how does it over rev?? when you're in 5th? or what?
Siberia

15th Oct 04 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey
Man your having a few teething problems not as bad as mine like but still. So have you got PAS, what belt ya using a V belt or ribbed belt?, i canr understand why its doing it.

right.......

the engine when i bought it had a powersteering pump on it the belt was draped over the engine I.E not around all the pulleys.... so i had to go and figure out what was the best way to get around the power steering pump cos my car doesn't have power steering so i would be using the pump.

so what i did was firstly try the altenator off my 1.2 8v which has a different pulley altogether. this ment having to change the crank pully too and i got Adam-d to post this different crank pulley over.

BUT when i put the altenator on it was sitting out of line by about 5-10mm from the crank pulley like this---> crank pulley > -- _ < altenator pulley

i tryed to modify the bracket that holds the altenator onto the engine but eventually fcked it up and it was unusable.

so i had to put the original altenator and original crank pulley back on.

so it is the same as your old car but with no power steering pump.

so then i had to figure out how to hold the altenator and how to drive it.

i got me next door neighbour to make me up a bracket and i got a small belt from the motor factors.....

the reson it broken the other night is cos i forgot to tighen up the altenator itself when i was doint he conversion

the reson it broke last night is cos the crank pulley is not at wide at the altenator one(i dont know why cos it the original pulleys off the engine) so one of the ribs in the belt decintigrated cos it wasent sitting on the crank pulley right.... i'm gonna get a couple of smaller belts on me way home today

its just a matter of trial and error... i'm actually quite happy cos i thought that i'd have alot worse teething problems... ya have to remeber that this engine was sitting up for over 8 months.

Siberia

15th Oct 04 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by j1400
1st 38.1
2nd 69.1
3rd 91.5
4th 120.9
5th 152.1
This was 7750rpm on a 3.74 (theoretical)
1st 34.1
2nd 61.8
3rd 81.8
4th 108.1
5th 136.1
With the 4.18 final I have in now, although I can go up to 7900 on th ehard cut.
So how does it over rev?? when you're in 5th? or what?

in 5th at 90MPH i dont think there was alot left in it to be honest but i could look that the rev counter cos the wheels are like this /--------\ so i was just trying to keep it pointing straight.
James R

15th Oct 04 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's more likely tracking is off than the camb er is affecting things, my nova has pretty major negative camber on it and points fine when the tracking is good.
the nothing left at 90 in 5th bit, yeah, you'd need to drop to 4th then accel up.
You could put a longer final in, but then you'd find you probably could get to 90 in 5th remotely easily and car would go really slow accel wise, it's a trade off really.

New Poll