corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.6 VS 2.0!!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.6 VS 2.0!!
Blue_Sri

User status: Offline
2nd Aug 04 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am thinking of having a engine transplant from my 1.4I to either a 1.6 or 2.0, however i am having problems deciding on with engine size to choose, both i believe have their ups and downs, most speed freaks would choose the 2.0 but i think i could get more effort from a 1.6, i already have a donor 2.0 8v with petrol tank, wiring loom, hubs and disks, ECU and fuel pump from a G reg automatic (gear box fcuked through, but i will add a high ratio manual gear box) so its safe to say its never been thrashed coming from an old woman before, but i would have to uprate the drums to Disks at the rear, strenthen the body and many other things, plus get an engineers report, then the insurance goes sky high because its classified as a conversion.

But the 1.6 seems better, yes i would need to uprate the brakes and maybe more things but i wouldnt need an engineers report, and it wouldnt be classified as a conversion to the insurance company, I am sure i would still have to state to the insurance that there has been a change under the bonnet, plus all the extra weight of a 2.0 would weigh the car over but a 1.6 would be cheaper on fuel also, and after i skim the head and port polish, add a cam and buy a chip i could tune it up pretty nice note. I am sure some of you have done this before, what do you think??
L330wnz

2nd Aug 04 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.6 all the way... yeah 2.0l are big and powerful but it wud be more fun/challenge to tune a 1.6 imo... possible 200-ish bhp to be had from them ya know And insurance/fuel wud be cheaper
Adam_B

2nd Aug 04 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think if ur going thu the ballache of an engine conversion, get the 2.0 16v
miles

2nd Aug 04 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2.0 8V is a bit pointless tbh. Good luck fitting the Cav fuel tank.

I dont think the Corsa's need strengthening.

Engineers reports aren't always needed (ever?)

Dont worry about rear disks.

I think you'll find a conversion is a conversion no matter what size engine is put in!

Your description of tuning the 1.6 wont actually see you with much of a gain for the cost....
corsa120

2nd Aug 04 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

l33 yes tuning a 1.6 is gr8 fun and rewarding but to get nearer 200bhpur lookin at spending an absolute fortune probably 2 even 3 times as much as a 2.0 conversion

most peeps on this site who have tuned a 1.6 have had respectable power gains for example take greasemonkey and brosters cars one running 140 bhp and other nearer 150bhp, both have spent £££££££££'s and still have not got red top power or the torque

to tune a 1.6 to 150 bhp heres my personal list

inlet velos £500 quid includin fitting
4-2-1 manifold janspeed cheapest £170
exhaust £250
unichip £400 i think
filter 60 for cheap one
conrod bolts 175 fitted
head ported polished £250
cams easily 400 quid

already thats 2200 quid with cheapish parts and mostr parts like 4-2-1 some peeps will have garage fit it to save hassle so theres more fitting costs and that is still only just touching 150bhp if u have strong engine
miles

2nd Aug 04 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, for £2200 you could easily buy a throttle body kit and see more power, which the option for much more later, not being at the point where to get any more you need to bin it all and start again.
corsa120

2nd Aug 04 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes buts that 1500 quid straight away and you will still only have roughly 40 bhp gained from tb's thats roughly 145 bhp with no more mods on 1.6
ainsley_brader

2nd Aug 04 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

having just gone from a 14 to a 16 id say dont bother tune the 14 or 20 all the way
JJ

3rd Aug 04 at 00:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why do ya have to fit a cav fuel tank for a 2.0 8v conversion?
finni

3rd Aug 04 at 01:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.6 is just as tunable as 2ltr. 160bhp easily with a 4-2-1 manifold. mantzel inlet manifold and superchip. i have a corsa gsi pre ecotec. running 138bhp. keep with red top astra gsi's. 2 ltr novas hard to keep with but with 4-2-1 manifold and superchip still to come ill be keeping with them before long. maximum recorded bhp for a 1.6 is sbd's normal aspiration corsa running 250bhp. show me a redtop that runs that with normal aspiration
Ian
Site Administrator

3rd Aug 04 at 01:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car is a 1.4 at the moment.

There's labour associated with the conversion either way.

You also have to spend money on the 1.6 and its not as powerful as a 2.0 16v standard.
Cybermonkey

3rd Aug 04 at 01:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by finni
1.6 is just as tunable as 2ltr. 160bhp easily with a 4-2-1 manifold. mantzel inlet manifold and superchip. i have a corsa gsi pre ecotec. running 138bhp. keep with red top astra gsi's. 2 ltr novas hard to keep with but with 4-2-1 manifold and superchip still to come ill be keeping with them before long. maximum recorded bhp for a 1.6 is sbd's normal aspiration corsa running 250bhp. show me a redtop that runs that with normal aspiration

SBD run westies with 290bhp 20XE's on TB's.
miles

3rd Aug 04 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Ballacks
miles

3rd Aug 04 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa120
yes buts that 1500 quid straight away and you will still only have roughly 40 bhp gained from tb's thats roughly 145 bhp with no more mods on 1.6

You'd get more than 145 with a set up tb kit, with the scope for much more.
miles

3rd Aug 04 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to make it 3 posts in a row, for £300 you could have standard 1.6 power just by changing the inlet manifold.
Cybermonkey

3rd Aug 04 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by miles
quote:

Ballacks

I cant see 138bhp corsa keeping up with 150+ bhp astras. The corsa isnt going to have massive torque figures with that setup either.

[Edited on 03-08-2004 by Cybermonkey24]
Cybermonkey

3rd Aug 04 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you are going to have to gain a lot more over 138bhp to keep up with 2L novas which are lighter too
Greasemonkey

3rd Aug 04 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speaking from experience, like said either fit TB's straight away to the 1.6, but make sure its had a freshen up with a re-build first, or go straight for the 2litre, i have a 1.6 i have spent thousands on and i wish i had fitted a 2litre
L330wnz

3rd Aug 04 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

naa much more fun beating sum1 in a 1.6 than a 2.0 imo...

bring on the vtech
miles

3rd Aug 04 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vtech's, pah, no trouble with my old 1.6 nova
AK

3rd Aug 04 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CTR's were easy money in my std c20xe corsa
L330wnz

3rd Aug 04 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^ due to weight to power ratio I guess?
L330wnz

3rd Aug 04 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or is that wrong as well?
AK

3rd Aug 04 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes..... and the fact CTR's need to be revved to buggery to get anywhere quickly
stuyw

3rd Aug 04 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is true

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.6 VS 2.0!! 23 database queries in 0.0146902 seconds