corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Wheel Troubles

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wheel Troubles
Gazz

User status: Offline
3rd Aug 04 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*I have posted this on another forum but cant suss where the problem is.

Right, I have a Corsa B, I bought Corsa C SXi wheels. After putting them on, the car brake pedal and steering column would shake under heaving breaking, I called out the guy from the AA. He checked the whole car (including all wheel bearings, my brakes and my suspension). He took the car for a drive and said I had a problem but couldn't find where it was homself, and told me to book it into a garage. I took it to Cooper Bros, and got them to check my brakes, they said I had warpped discs so off comes my Red.Dot discs and EBC Greenstuff pads and on comes so OE shite. Obviously I let the brakes bed in for 200 miles and after heaving braking the car for the 1st time (203 miles after getting it done) the shudder is still there.

Anyone got any ideas ?

P.S. The tyres were checked and are fine, they were put to the correct pressures and I had them balanced and tracked as well. I also have Vectra 1.8 16v callipers on the car.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

3rd Aug 04 at 23:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the offset on corsa C wheels mate?

all wheels perfect condition not slightly buckled?

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Gazz

3rd Aug 04 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont know the Corsa C offset. The wheels are in mint condition. I think the guy took them off the car as soon as it left the showroom, not a mark on any of the wheels and they are spotless too. No sign of any damage at all.

Would the people who done the tracking and balancing not have found something unusual when they done that work ?
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
3rd Aug 04 at 23:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quickest thing to do would be to change the wheels for another set and see if the problem is still apparent.

Incorrect offset wouldn't cause shudder.

You sure your OE discs are OK?
Gazz

4th Aug 04 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They should be, cos it did the same with my other ones as well. So it doesn't seem as if the brakes are the problem.
GED2.0CORSA

4th Aug 04 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

another thing that would make the break shudder is unbalanced wheels on the back i had the same on my first corsa , and steering shudder would be what u said wheels bearings and again unbalanced wheels
1600power

4th Aug 04 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im almost certain that this is caused by unbalanced wheels get them checked by a garage they'll soon tell ya!
leafgreencorsa

5th Aug 04 at 06:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the problem only occurs on braking then it is unlikely to be due to wheel balancing, if the wheels are new then it would be unlikely to be that there is a buckled one but you could check by swapping the wheels around on the car to see if the effect changes. Have you tried re-fitting the original wheels to see if the problem is cured? If it is then it suggests some problem with the new wheels/tyres.

Seems more likely your problem is brake related. The front discs do not have to be warped to cause vibration but it is critical that they sit squarely on the hub ie the hub must be thoroughly cleaned with no rust particles or any other debris. If they are even a fraction out then the behaviour will be just like a warped disc.

Best of luck mate.

New Poll