corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » LCD TV's

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author LCD TV's
--DAN--

User status: Offline
31st May 04 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right I've been looking into buying a new TV for a few weeks. This caught my eye whilst I was out earlier. Clicky

Is it any good? Anything else you can reccommend?

[Edited on 31-05-2004 by corsa-dan]
Tim
Site Administrator

31st May 04 at 15:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Um, LCD tv's look nice and all, but are far too expensive at the mo... £1000+ for a 23" screen??

I'd personally look at getting a plasma TV if you're gonna spend that sort of money, or a very nice 36" Sony Wega...

42" LG Plasma £1399: http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301685
Colin

31st May 04 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I gotta 32" LCD TV - Its fookin great
James_DT

31st May 04 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, if you're gunna spend £1400 on a TV, get a bloody big Sony one.
PaulW

31st May 04 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I get my own place, not gona bother with an LCD TV or something, will more than likely get a video projector!
Phil321

31st May 04 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, get a projector if you have a big enough living room.

If not, just get a 28" widescreen for about £300 and spend the rest of the money on good times
ed

31st May 04 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are plasma screen TV's TFT screens, I'm confused about the difference between LCD and Plasma screens....
Tim
Site Administrator

31st May 04 at 16:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LCD is like a laptop screen... TFT is a type of LCD which uses a Thin-Film of Transistors...

Plasma is a different technology that uses excited gases to light each pixel and does not require a backlight.

[Edited on 31-05-2004 by Tim]
Colin

31st May 04 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heres mine - taken off my moby so crap photo, its a Philips 32PF9996 - Fookin Ace TV

Dom

31st May 04 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Problem is with Plasma's, is that over time they will burn...so you end up with a ghosting of an image. Ive seen this happening within a year of use (used a fair bit but still) and it isnt pretty Also, Plasma's are bloody heavy...and i means heavy, so make sure you have a decent secure bracket mount on the wall A decent Plasma will set you back about 3k - 6k....Pioneer screens are pretty good. And NEC stuff is not too bad for the money.

As for LCDs...there alot more expensive than Plama's, and they are only in small sizes (32" is the max ive seen). However, there light as anything and they dont suffer from the burning. Not sure about pricing, but i recon again around the 2-6k mark.

And projectors...well if you have the dosh gets a RGB jobby (seperate tubes) and NOT an LCD one...as it will give a better picture. However, a decent one will set you back about 5k - 10k and maintaince is fairly expensive on the things.

Eitherway, all of these are fairly expensive compared to your usual tube TV...and all havnt been out long enough to see if there are any major problems with the technology (apart from projectors). Also you want to get yourself down to a LOCAL home cinema place...like SevenOaks or something and get them to go through it all. If your serious about buying this gear (and i would if i was spoending a few grands on a telly) then read reviews and more reviews and try out all the rated screens.

And finally...BUY IT ONLINE !! Sod argos...they dont know their arse from their elbow, and i wouldnt hand a few grand over to them.
Plus, phillips/panasonic etc make good TVs but when it comes to plama's, LCDs...i wouldnt touch them with a barge pole. Same goes to SONY....nice TVs, but screens are bloody expensive for what your getting...plus a pioneer would wipe its arse all over the show
Ben
Banned

31st May 04 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u know 2 much about tvs

i dont care as long as its 28" or above and clear and decent sound lol
Davido

31st May 04 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lcd r shite heard lots of bad thing had 2 myself both broken, its new technology n as yet doesnt look like they mastered it, best bet get a proper tv mate
N90ATH

31st May 04 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep visible man does know too much but i knew all that but thats cos i work at currys

New Poll