corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » High Definition TV

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author High Definition TV
Rob_Quads

User status: Offline
14th Jun 06 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
You wont tell the difference between a HD plasma/LCD and you 100Hz CRT (not that 100Hz is anything to brag about mate, as i have a 15" CRT here at 100Hz) if youre feeding it a non HD signal. Play a HD source - either a 720p channel from sky or telewest or free using astra sat gear, and you will notice the difference as your "100Hz" set cant process High Def resolutions - so no your CRT tv wont benifit a HD signal.
However, you can get HD CRT telly's - few and fair between and they only support 720p (i believe).

Wouldn't say I agree with this 100%. If your CRT TV can downscale HD signal then it will give a better picture as even downscaled you will be left with a PQ than normal SD can provide.
Even ignoring the downscaling side of things you could get a better picture out of the HD box onto a SD TV even through scart - yes you are only getting a SD picture but the box internally will be downscaling the HD signal to SD and as before that will leave you with more information than a normal SD broadcast signal has.

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Also rob, HD signal can be played on a plasma/lcd with a res of 1024x768 or higher (that is the minimum) - though obviously higher the better (to a certain extent).

Yes it will play - as I have said before but playing does not mean you are getting HD IMO. The minimum resolution for the lowest HD is 1280x720 thus 1024x768 cannot show this in native or upscaled as you do not have enough horizontal pixels
John

14th Jun 06 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It can't leave you with more information over scart.
Downscaling is throwing that information away.
As said in my other post though, if the material has been recorded in HD you will be getting full use of all SD can offer and it will look quite good as people are seing with the football.
Cosmo

14th Jun 06 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Cosmo -> Why not spend £300 for the Sky box when you must have spent 500+ on the HD-DVD player as they are fucking expensive still as there are only a couple out so far (unless your talking about upscaling DVDs players which are far from HD players IMO)

£800 as its some Denon one.

We will do, but having just paid the £200 for Sky+ just after Xmas its seems pointless to pay another £300 just for the WC. We may aswell wait for it to drop right down afterwards when more and more UK stuff is in HD aswell.
Rob_Quads

14th Jun 06 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
It can't leave you with more information over scart.
Downscaling is throwing that information away.
As said in my other post though, if the material has been recorded in HD you will be getting full use of all SD can offer and it will look quite good as people are seing with the football.

It can leave you with more information - even with scart.
If you feed a TV a normal SD TV signal and feed it a downscaled HD signal there would be more information in the downscaled signal as it would be less compressed.
Dom

14th Jun 06 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob, your right mate - 180i/720p requires a minimum res of 1280 x 720, though from what i remember, the downscale to 1024 x 768 is minimal in picture quality.

As with a HD signal improving picture quality on a CRT - isnt the HD signal only outputted on the HDMI/DVI sockets on the skyHD/Telewest/Astra boxes (if memory serves me right)? therefore your going to need a descaler (which throws picture information away as john said) leaving you a picture that would be pretty similar to an standard 480i feed from a digital source (sky/telewest/ntl/freeview)?

Technically i can see that the picture quality should be better, but unless you have the money for a decent descaler (Runco, Miranda etc) then i doubt picture quality would be noticable.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll