corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » High Definition TV

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author High Definition TV
MarkM

User status: Offline
   13th Jun 06 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone got one or seen one?

Just been watching the Brazil match in work on one...we have a 32" widescreen with high definition box...all I can say is I am totally converted...

I was a big sceptic saying it cant be that much better...but it is amazing...its as if the screen is 3D...the picture quality is immense...

Get one...

[Edited on 13-06-2006 by MarkM]
Joe

13th Jun 06 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do you get it? We have a HD tv at home do you need a HD box too or what?
MarkM

13th Jun 06 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by joe6886
How do you get it? We have a HD tv at home do you need a HD box too or what?

Yes you need a HD box...Telewest or Sky do them

Telewest have the whole world cup in HD which is the most important thing
Joe

13th Jun 06 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh right, heard BBC coverage is all in HD was watching England on saturday thinking it was too impressive, that maybe why
Cosmo

13th Jun 06 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have got a HD tele and HD DVD player and the quality is amazing (especially with the speaker set-up we have to compliment it). We didnt bother getting HD Sky though as only got Sky + a few months back just before HD was released!!
Cosmo

13th Jun 06 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ahh right, heard BBC coverage is all in HD was watching England on saturday thinking it was too impressive, that maybe why

bbc is doing them all in HD (as are Sky) but you need the Sky HD box which is about 200+ I think.

I think the pic quality of the standard BBC is fairly high this year though, not sure if this is to do with it being filmed in HD (although shown through normal sky box) or the HD tele I was watching it on.
MarkM

13th Jun 06 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How cheap do you reckon you could get a reasonable size HD TV from??

I want one for my room now...
Cosmo

13th Jun 06 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MarkM
How cheap do you reckon you could get a reasonable size HD TV from??

I want one for my room now...

Look around, depends on the size really but they havent come down all that much in price due to the demand for them during the WC.
MarkM

13th Jun 06 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon a 23" widescreen would do me...

Joe

13th Jun 06 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:

bbc is doing them all in HD (as are Sky) but you need the Sky HD box which is about 200+ I think.

I think the pic quality of the standard BBC is fairly high this year though, not sure if this is to do with it being filmed in HD (although shown through normal sky box) or the HD tele I was watching it on.

Yeah did think it looked pretty clear but was expecting it to be amazing, but obviously it was'nt HD anyway so was pretty good i suppose.
drax

13th Jun 06 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I installed a 40 inch HD TV at my grandads a couple of weeks ago. Hes getting / got SkyHD and a 36" HDTV with HD DVD in the bedroom, and surround sound to complete them.

Very nice stuff, we've got their old HDTV downstairs, picture is an improvement over tubular tv's anyway
Cosmo

13th Jun 06 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yeah did think it looked pretty clear but was expecting it to be amazing, but obviously it was'nt HD anyway so was pretty good i suppose.

You'll notice the difference IMO between normal and HD. When we first got it I was told its as obvious as between video and DVD, and I wouldnt say its far from that TBH.
Jules S
Premium Member

13th Jun 06 at 22:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From what ive gathered on other forums the HD bit is also passed onto other peeps with decent non HD televisions too.

The HD broadcast is certainly better on my 100hz sony anyways.

My understanding is that a poor HD set = a top notch normal set

Im not upgrading just yet....remember VHS/betamax?

Cosmo

13th Jun 06 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules S

not gonna happen, HD is the standard in most other countries and has been for a while now!
John

13th Jun 06 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HD is nothing like vhs/betamax.
Blu-ray/hd-dvd is.
The broadcasts originally being filmed in hd will just make the most of the quality we recieve it in.
It won't be better than for instance a dvd though.

And a poor hd set is just a poor set.

[Edited on 13-06-2006 by John]
Jules S
Premium Member

13th Jun 06 at 22:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:
Originally posted by Jules S

not gonna happen, HD is the standard in most other countries and has been for a while now!

IIRC its not that many countries....and like betamax, the technology will overtake itself before we catch up. Hence me not shedding 1.5k on a tv which will be overtaken in 12 months by 8x HD

John

13th Jun 06 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should read up on the tehcnology as you don't know what you are talking about.
myke

13th Jun 06 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a friend just got sky hd for his 36" lcd tv.

i wasn't too sure untill seeing a demo at curry's, but after watching a few documentaries in hd i now think it's awesome.

you can see blades of grass from a zoomed out view of about 20'
Rob_Quads

13th Jun 06 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HD is here to stay. I can't see it being replaced for another 10+ years at a minimum.

I've downloaded a few of the HD feeds from the BBC and they are stunning.

Having watched quite a few HD films they are impressive. i have a 28GB copy of one of the lord of the rings and the clarity is stunning.

You do get used to it to a degree but then the second you go back to watching SD you suddenly realise how good it was again.

Cosmo -> Why not spend £300 for the Sky box when you must have spent 500+ on the HD-DVD player as they are fucking expensive still as there are only a couple out so far (unless your talking about upscaling DVDs players which are far from HD players IMO)
Jules S
Premium Member

13th Jun 06 at 22:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
You should read up on the tehcnology as you don't know what you are talking about.

Perhaps you should learn how to spell 'tehcnology' before your preach?

My missus just spunked off £1.5k on an HD ready Samsung, and we cant tell the difference from her HD set as opposed my 100hz effort.

Of course I REALLY need to take yor advice here

Rob_Quads

13th Jun 06 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like something is wrong with your setup. Unfortunatly HD ready is a misleading term. You can get a HD ready set which cannot display the minimum HD signal which is 1280x720 - a lot of plasmas are still 1080x768 or something similar.

Are you saying that SkyHD/TelewestHD + Her new Samsung is no better than Normal Sky on your CRT?
Jules S
Premium Member

13th Jun 06 at 23:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Sounds like something is wrong with your setup. Unfortunatly HD ready is a misleading term. You can get a HD ready set which cannot display the minimum HD signal which is 1280x720 - a lot of plasmas are still 1080x768 or something similar.

Are you saying that SkyHD/TelewestHD + Her new Samsung is no better than Normal Sky on your CRT?

No, what im saying is that a top end definition (not an HD TV) TV will still benefit from HD broadcasts... mine does, which is why im not upgrading just yet
John

13th Jun 06 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont' care whether you listen to what I say or not, plenty other people, including some on here, do.
I was just saying you don't know what you are talking about and you still dont' no matter how much you spent on a tv.
Money doesn't mean quality.
And a typing error obviously means I don't know what I'm talking about.
Idiot.
Dom

13th Jun 06 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jules (+ co) - HD's been around since 1990 in Japan etc and the States took it up in the 96 or so - so its been around ages. As for like the betamax scenario - i dont see anyway of comparing it, there will be nothing better to out beat HD, there are 4 formats of it, i suppose - 720i and 720p, then 1080i and 1080p (think thats correct).

You wont tell the difference between a HD plasma/LCD and you 100Hz CRT (not that 100Hz is anything to brag about mate, as i have a 15" CRT here at 100Hz) if youre feeding it a non HD signal. Play a HD source - either a 720p channel from sky or telewest or free using astra sat gear, and you will notice the difference as your "100Hz" set cant process High Def resolutions - so no your CRT tv wont benifit a HD signal.
However, you can get HD CRT telly's - few and fair between and they only support 720p (i believe).

Not slating you mate, or taking sides but it sounds like you have been mislead to what HD actually is!

Also rob, HD signal can be played on a plasma/lcd with a res of 1024x768 or higher (that is the minimum) - though obviously higher the better (to a certain extent).

p.s - please forgive any spelling/grammar mistakes (just before i get slatted for spelling "it" wrong or something )

pps - also note, if your feeding it a straight PAL signal, ie: non-HD, on a plasma/LCD screen then it will usually look a bit worse than on a CRT - then again, plasma/lcd will alway been inferior to CRT(better picture) - but the fact that they are space saving (meaning a bigger tv usually) as well as offering resolutions to play HD material means flat screens are the future, and image quality will only improve with new technology

[Edited on 13-06-2006 by Dom]
John

13th Jun 06 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HD can be infinite resolutions although the main ones that will be used for tv and dvd's/blu-ray are the ones dom has mentioned.

I'm not actually sure why the res on lcd's is normally 1366x720 because the 1024 signal needs resized to fit(i'll read up on this now i've been reminded).

Samsung have launched new hd crt's.

The biggest problem with lcd's is the uniform backlight.
There are a lot of different solutions for this that basically have lots of backlights, like an array of lcd's for instance, which can be turned on and off individually which should sort the problem.

Again as dom said, normal tv will in most cases look better on a crt than an lcd because the picture on the lcd has to be roughly doubled in size from the original.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll