corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Power Caps Info?!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Power Caps Info?!
Mikorsa16v

User status: Offline
9th May 04 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On my last install, i foolishly had the system up too loud for too long, and thus the battery went flat on the next start (some time with the cd on and ignition off er hmm, wont be doing that again lol)

well anyway, on my new install, i wish to protect the battery a bit more, as i will be building a 300watt RMS setup with mono sub and amp. What sort of power cap is needed, 1.0 farad - what the hell does that rating mean anyway! lol

Will this protect the battery a bit more, as obviously if the amp peaks to its MAX watt then it helps with surges etc.
Mikorsa16v

9th May 04 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How Capacitors Work

by Marshall Brain

› Introduction to How Capacitors Work
› The Basics
› Farads
› Applications
› Lots More Information
› Shop or Compare Prices

Farads
The unit of capacitance is a farad. A 1-farad capacitor can store one coulomb (coo-lomb) of charge at 1 volt. A coulomb is 6.25e18 (6.25 * 10^18, or 6.25 billion billion) electrons. One amp represents a rate of electron flow of 1 coulomb of electrons per second, so a 1-farad capacitor can hold 1 amp-second of electrons at 1 volt.
A 1-farad capacitor would typically be pretty big. It might be as big as a can of tuna or a 1-liter soda bottle, depending on the voltage it can handle. So you typically see capacitors measured in microfarads (millionths of a farad).

To get some perspective on how big a farad is, think about this:

A typical alkaline AA battery holds about 2.8 amp-hours.
That means that a AA battery can produce 2.8 amps for an hour at 1.5 volts (about 4.2 watt-hours -- a AA battery can light a 4-watt bulb for a little more than an hour).
Let's call it 1 volt to make the math easier. To store one AA battery's energy in a capacitor, you would need 3,600 * 2.8 = 10,080 farads to hold it, because an amp-hour is 3,600 amp-seconds.

-bit of info on the farad measurment for anyone insterested
AdiSRI

9th May 04 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A cap wont make any difference to the drain on the battery at all, it can just help supply juice when needed to lessen dimmage problems.
cdcool1

9th May 04 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdiSRI
A cap wont make any difference to the drain on the battery at all, it can just help supply juice when needed to lessen dimmage problems.

but then adds to the dimming when its charging back up and there is another bass note at the same time
Mikorsa16v

9th May 04 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, conclusion: are these good or not!?!?!?
cdcool1

9th May 04 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They will only help if you already have a good power supply system mate, otherwise you will probably find that they are more of a strain on your system
AdiSRI

9th May 04 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by cdcool1
quote:

but then adds to the dimming when its charging back up and there is another bass note at the same time

Which is why i said 'can' help....
Trucido

9th May 04 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

look at getting a uprated battery and alternator first
cdcool1

10th May 04 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cdcool1
quote:

Which is why i said 'can' help....

I know, i was just giving him more of a full picture of what happens since he probably didnt realise
Mikorsa16v

10th May 04 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks all, na i didnt know what the hell they do, am gonna whack one into the supply, must be of some use somewhere lol cheers lads
cdcool1

10th May 04 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If i was you mate the money would be better spent elsewhere, without a decent power supply it will cause more problems i think you'll find

New Poll