corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Driving stlye+fuel consumtion, optimax? unleaded?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Driving stlye+fuel consumtion, optimax? unleaded?
MoNkEy MaGiC

User status: Offline
4th Apr 04 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive noticed last 2-3 tanks im gettin more miles out of shell OPTIMAX in my 1.6 16v Gsi compared to using normal shell unleaded??

i found that if i keep it between 2-3 revs whenever possible and of course puttin my foot down occasionally i get more miles out of OPTIMAX!

is this right, i thought Optimax burns faster to giv better performance when flooring it? so shud run out quicker than normal unleaded, plus it costs more for the same amount of unleaded, so is it even worth using???

P.s my cars in good condition, but burns lot of oil! had all belts replaced and rocker cover gasket done lately, if this wud make difference?

[Edited on 04-04-2004 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
Adam-D

4th Apr 04 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im running optimax but thats coz i have a nice engine and dont want to stuff it using cheap fuel
MikeH

4th Apr 04 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Optimax is a high octane fuel which means it can be run leaner without preignition.
blackula

4th Apr 04 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car.........revs smoother on optimax, sounds smoother, revs more linear. but I did get the dastek unichip done with it on. Mileage wise, about 6 or 7 miles per tenner maybe more.

On my old Zetec S, which had one of those appauling superchips modules, it pinked (dunno what the superchip did to the anti knock) on normal unleaded and ran loads better on optimax.

Basically its higher octane ,and anyway, they did al lthe original testing on normal cars as well as high performance stuff and even the lowly 1.8 vectras were making more hp, like 4 or 5 up the rev range.
MikeH

4th Apr 04 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

6 miles on a tenner?

Thats worse than a rolls royce!
blackula

4th Apr 04 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u know what I mean smart ass.
MoNkEy MaGiC

5th Apr 04 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok so in theory i shud get more miles out of optimax

BUT.... is this on a basis that i use the same amount of Optimax in LITRES compared to my normal Unleaded?

...coz i put in £25 of petrol at a time, not by the amount in litres so i wud get a few litres less of optimax compared to unleaded, so is it really worth it???

ALSO...wats best petrol to use for most mpg when travelling LONG distances? like say 200miles and revving at 4-5 in fifth gear???

[Edited on 05-04-2004 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
MikeH

5th Apr 04 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes it would have to be the same volume of optimax... so if you compared 2 brimming tankfulls te optimax would probably last more miles.

I don;t know whether it would be cheaper... but the smoothness is worth it i think.

The only was to get good consumption on a long journey is careful acceleration, avoid full throttle.

Oh i am also liking BP Ultimate unleaded.... think its 100ron.
LukeGSi

5th Apr 04 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i use optimax and i get 295 miles to 30notes....thats driving it reasonably hard aswell
MoNkEy MaGiC

5th Apr 04 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

100RON rah!! are u sure!! how much it cost? that most be well smooth

295miles to £30 is wicked for a Gsi mate, but is that with the NOS on or off? lol

i usually get 260 miles at the absolute most with £25 of optimax with mixed driving, but also with a few long journeys so in theory its only bout 200+miles

[Edited on 05-04-2004 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
LukeGSi

5th Apr 04 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MoNkEy MaGiC
295miles to £30 is wicked for a Gsi mate, but is that with the NOS on or off?

Off but doesnt change that much as i dont use n2o all that much
MoNkEy MaGiC

5th Apr 04 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think overall its better to use optimax or any super unleaded fuel really? its much cleaner fuel and is better for the engine and helps it run smoother, i mean my Gsi is a 10 year old car now! with good 80k so it needs to be looked after, yet it still runs fine and pulls in every gear great little cars, pity about the oil problems they tend to hav!
MattyB

5th Apr 04 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Optimax made a HUGE difference to my dad's CR-V import! As far as i'm aware, they are set up to run to 98ron, and so respond really well to our stuff!

Also, not totally the same, but any of u Derv owners out there............Try running a couple of tanks of BP Ultimate Derv thru ur motor. Halved the amount of smoke and noise from the engine, and gave me an extra 3-4mpg well chuffed.

Matt
MoNkEy MaGiC

5th Apr 04 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rah dont lie, is BP ulimate bettter than shell optimax then, wats price difference?
KennyT

5th Apr 04 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all fuel is pish unless it comes from esso.

PS. i work at esso.
MikeH

5th Apr 04 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

optimax is over 100ron

my mate works at a shell garage and got that info from a petrol tanker driver
Gavin
Premium Member

5th Apr 04 at 16:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i always use OPTIMAX
otherwise my car pinks

pew pew pew pewwwww
AndyCorsaC

5th Apr 04 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wot is meant by full throttle
Keith Piper

5th Apr 04 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Optimax is 97 ron, normal unleaded is 95 ron. I use Optimax and can only get between 4 and 5 miles to a gallon.
clarkie

5th Apr 04 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by blackula
My car.........revs smoother on optimax, sounds smoother, revs more linear. but I did get the dastek unichip done with it on. Mileage wise, about 6 or 7 miles per tenner maybe more.

On my old Zetec S, which had one of those appauling superchips modules, it pinked (dunno what the superchip did to the anti knock) on normal unleaded and ran loads better on optimax.

Basically its higher octane ,and anyway, they did al lthe original testing on normal cars as well as high performance stuff and even the lowly 1.8 vectras were making more hp, like 4 or 5 up the rev range.

it probably pinked cause a superchip advances ignition timing a bit, hence pre igntion.
clarkie

5th Apr 04 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MattyB
Optimax made a HUGE difference to my dad's CR-V import! As far as i'm aware, they are set up to run to 98ron, and so respond really well to our stuff!

yeah, normal jap unleaded is 98ron(i think) then their super unleaded etc is near 105ron!

New Poll